I'm hoping someone can help. My son is leaving for Shanghai in about 3 weeks. He is 18 and is going to do an internship there for 4 months as part of a gap year. We are trying to figure out the best way for him to make and receive calls and access his money while he is there. We are considering getting him the international Blackberry because he could also email using that. But we've heard mixed things about cell phones working in Shanghai. Any other phones you'd recommend? How do we make sure the phone we get will work in Shanghai? If we do get a Blackberry or other phone, what do you recommend for service companies on both sides? We currently use Verizon, and if possible my husband wants to use that in China as well. Our other concern is the expense of doing this. Our son is 18 and obviously likes to talk and text his friends. We're envisioning skyrocketing phone bills. Any way to avoid that? Managing money is the other issue. We were originally sending him with debit and credit cards. That way we could give him a monthly allowance and monitor his spending to some extent. However the project manager for the organization he's going with said that he recommends our son bring travelers checks because debit and credit cards often don't work. Does anyone have experience with this? We belong to a credit union so the cards are issued through them. I don't know if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help.
Cell phones, credit/debit cards in Shanghai
- 1 day trips outside of Bangkoki
- 2 Hong Kong - how long to see highlights?
- 3 Which flight from BKK to Chiang Mai should I take?
- 4 Japan Attractions
- 5 Cooking Class in Ubud, Bali
- 6 High Alert for Travelers! New Deadly Bird Flu in China
- 7 Golden Triangle - To Hire a Car and Driver or Not???
- 8 Beijing To Tibet, Mt. Everest And Nepal All In 10 Days
- 9 Hanoi airport transfer to Hotel
- 10 where NOT to eat sharks fin in Thailand
- 11 Wildlife Tour of India
- 12 Udaipur, India
- 13 where is best place to exchange left over Chinese RMB's for US dollars
- 14 Taxi from Kuala Lumpur to Melaka
- 15 Cell Phones in India
- 16 Kyushu Trip May 2013
- 17 Elephant Visit in Chiang Mai
- 18 9 PM arrival in Narita
- 19 National Diet Building and Imperial Palace tours
- 20 Uzbekistan: A Lesson in Silk Road Hospitality
- 21 Kashmir or Nepal
- 22 Restaurants near Shangri-la Kowloon and walking/food tours
- 23 Amazing Malaysia Trip!
- 24 trip report to tajmahal agra india
- 25 Photography Trip to Vietnam