Sorry I havent been on here for a while. I had some issues on the US forum where someone was really quite critical and condescending and it really upset me - I decided I had enough grief in my life without being subjected to it on here so I haven't been back. However, with the exception of that one guy, you guys have been an amazing support in helping me plan my trips and I love reading all your posts - and I've really missed you all. I'm now trying to plan another trip and the truth is I'd be mad to do it without some advice from all of you - so I hope you'll help me out with this one.
So ... Cambodia and Vietnam - by myself (a young mid 40's woman) over Christmas/New Year. I like 4 or 5 star hotels, not a massive fan of temples, palaces, museums etc but happy to do the major ones. Mostly want to immerse myself in the culture, wander the streets, try the food, take photos and some relaxation time by the pool, read a book, do some yoga. Mostly prefer to be by myself - dont mind the odd group day tour - but am really looking for some me time. I've travelled extensively around India, Thailand, Malaysia, Borneo, Hong Kong, Singapore and Bali. I've been to Vietnam once by myself for a very short trip. I did HCMC (and loved it so want to go again), Hanoi and Halong Bay ... Here's what I was thinking for this trip - feedback very much appreciated
18 December - Siem Reap - Arrive Siem Reap in morning (from Brisbane, Australia)
19 December - Siem Reap - Sunrise / Day trip to Angkor Wat
20 December - Siem Reap
21 December - Phnom Penh - (Fly?) to Phnom Penh
22 December - Phnom Penh - Genocide museum and killing fields
23 December - Phnom Penh - Silver Pagoda, explore, sunset cruise on Mekong?
24 December - Chau Doc - Travel to Chau Doc - boat? Car and driver?
25 December - Can Tho - Travel to Can Tho - boat? Car and driver?
26 December - Can Tho - day cruise around Mekong Delta
27 December - HCMC - (Fly? Car and Driver? Boat?) to HCMC
28 December - HCMC - Early morning photography tour / evening street food tour
29 December - HCMC - Day tour to Cu Chi Tunnels
30 December - Dalat - (Fly?) to Dalat
31 December - Dalat
1 January - Nha Trang - Car and driver to Nha Trang
2 January - Nha Trang - Beach Time
3 January - Nha Trang - Beach time
4 January - Danang - Fly to Danang
5 January - Hue - Train to Hue over the Hai Van Pass
6 January - Hoi An - Morning Boat trip on Perfume River, then car and driver ro Hoi An
7 January - Hoi An - Yoga, cooking classes, shopping, eating, photographs, chilling
8 January - Hoi An - Maybe a trip to My Son but not sure its for me ...
9 January - Hoi An - As per 7 January
10 January - Fly Danang to Brisbane
Apart from general itinerary advice, the things I'm unsure of are mainly transport options ie better to fly or worth going by road/boat/train from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh to Can Tho to HCMC? Then the same from HCMC to Dalat and Nha Trang to Danang - better to fly, or would I be missing a beautiful journey by road?
I'm not sure what I'm going to Dalat for other than I've heard it's beautiful scenery and it seems a shame to miss it when its only 4hrs from Nha Trang, and I believe the drive there is beautiful.
I don't expect culture in Nha Trang I just want some beach time and mud baths!
I dont think there's any soecific reason to go to Danang, but really want to do the Hai Van Pass by rail one way and by road the other.
I don't really have any interest in Hue as I'm not excited by historical buildings which is what I understand to be its main attraction (please corrrect me if I'm wrong), I'm only going there as I figure I may as well see it if I'm doing the Hai Van Pass.
I'm really looking forward to chilling in Hoi An at the end which is why I want 4 nights there before I go home.
Any advice, greatly appreciated - thanks guys
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 2 Silk Road Tour - China
- 3 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 4 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 5 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 6 November, March, June... Japan?
- 7 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 8 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 9 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 10 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 11 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 12 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 13 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 14 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report
- 15 Thailand Visa Concern for Stay Over 30 Days
- 16 Yunnan Province, China, Trip Report: May 26-June 10, 2017
- 17 Car and driver agra to jaipur
- 18 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 19 Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos
- 20 Japan rail pass: 7 or 14 days? Itinerary set
- 21 The best time for hiking in Yakushima
- 22 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
- 23 Renting 4G Wi-Fi Device in Korea
- 24 Kuala Lumpur itinerary
- 25 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?