I am planning to take an organized bike trip in Burma in March and I would love to hear all of your feedback re a few questions:
1) Thoughts/experiences on the weather in March? I have a fairly high tolerance for heat but am most concerned about ridiculous humidity (and the fact that I will be cycling).
2) I have read a number of forum responses discussing high tourism and low supply of tourism infrastructure. Many responders have advised to wait 1-2 years until the infrastructure catches up. I am eager to go now to see the country (culturally and economically) in its nascent/beginning stages of development so having upscale accommodation is less of a concern for me. I am a bit confused by this advice to wait 1-2 years because there will be even more tourists! Yes, the infrastructure could catch up but the demand will also be exponentially higher. As I said before, I am interested in seeing Burma in a more "raw" stage of development.
3) As I mentioned, I am planning to be with an organized bike trip for most of my visit. I am considering a few different companies: Backroads, Spice Roads, and Grasshopper. Anyone have any feedback/experiences with these companies? Backroads is about $2000 more expensive than the other two trips and is 5 days shorter, but seems more upscale and established. Spice Roads and Grasshopper seem to have almost identical 13 day trips but I have found only a few reviews for those trips. I'd love to hear if anyone has had experiences with those companies and/or with other companies!
Thank you in advance for your help!
Burma: General travel experiences/tips and Bike Trips
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 2 Tokyo to Takayama with transit in Matsumoto in one day
- 3 Bali wedding in villa
- 4 Malaysian honeymoon
- 5 Favorite hotel in X'ian?
- 6 Please critique my Thailand itinerary
- 7 Myanmar: Anyone traveled to Mrauk U ?
- 8 Myanmar - Organizing Trip for 2015
- 9 JR PASS AND ITINERARY
- 10 Indonesia - 1 month itinerary
- 11 India - 2 Days only
- 12 China with Collette Tours
- 13 Confused about where to stay in Tokyo
- 14 Kyoto to Koyasan, then Koyasan to Hiroshima
- 15 9 nights in Hong Kong in November - how to split up?
- 16 TRIP REPORT: Seoul, South Korea (9 days)
- 17 Beach selection in Thailand
- 18 Chiang Mai, flight: best travel logistics to which Island?
- 19 Burma river cruise
- 20 hotel Paradise Island in Bentota, Sri Lanka toxic hepatitis.
- 21 Cooking in Chiang Mai & Driving Around Northern Thailand
- 22 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 23 Red River Delta in Viet Nam: A Good Idea for a Day Trip from Hanoi?
- 24 Travel during China national week?
- 25 My trip report from the Philippines