I am planning to take an organized bike trip in Burma in March and I would love to hear all of your feedback re a few questions:
1) Thoughts/experiences on the weather in March? I have a fairly high tolerance for heat but am most concerned about ridiculous humidity (and the fact that I will be cycling).
2) I have read a number of forum responses discussing high tourism and low supply of tourism infrastructure. Many responders have advised to wait 1-2 years until the infrastructure catches up. I am eager to go now to see the country (culturally and economically) in its nascent/beginning stages of development so having upscale accommodation is less of a concern for me. I am a bit confused by this advice to wait 1-2 years because there will be even more tourists! Yes, the infrastructure could catch up but the demand will also be exponentially higher. As I said before, I am interested in seeing Burma in a more "raw" stage of development.
3) As I mentioned, I am planning to be with an organized bike trip for most of my visit. I am considering a few different companies: Backroads, Spice Roads, and Grasshopper. Anyone have any feedback/experiences with these companies? Backroads is about $2000 more expensive than the other two trips and is 5 days shorter, but seems more upscale and established. Spice Roads and Grasshopper seem to have almost identical 13 day trips but I have found only a few reviews for those trips. I'd love to hear if anyone has had experiences with those companies and/or with other companies!
Thank you in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 What beach to choose?!?!
- 2 Private guides & drivers in China
- 3 Dogster: The Great Stumble Forward - India
- 4 Sri Lanka itinerary questions and beach resort whale watching
- 5 My Daughter's 13th Birthday Trip to Tokyo!
- 6 Is the Cable Car to Ngong Ping Village in Hong Kong worth it?
- 7 Transit between International flight and domestic at Narita airport
- 8 Need a place to stay in Chang Mai
- 9 Thailand, Myanmar and Cambodia in June
- 10 Traffic in Hanoi
- 11 Business class on JAL
- 12 Beaches a few hours from Bangkok
- 13 Japan Travel - Alone?
- 14 3 day in Hanoi, what’s worth to do?
- 15 traveling from nara to miajima and himeji - help
- 16 Mumbai and tiger trek
- 17 Need some planning information for Sri lanka trip
- 18 4 hour Hong Kong layover
- 19 India group or private tour?
- 20 Myanmar Photo Trip. Lot's O' Photos!
- 21 GTG Boston-Cambridge (US) July 12
- 22 HA lounge at HND
- 23 Hakone Free Pass
- 24 Kathmandu and EBC trek in earthquake aftermath
- 25 Sri Lanka: Itinerary set - need fine tuning help!