I am planning to take an organized bike trip in Burma in March and I would love to hear all of your feedback re a few questions:
1) Thoughts/experiences on the weather in March? I have a fairly high tolerance for heat but am most concerned about ridiculous humidity (and the fact that I will be cycling).
2) I have read a number of forum responses discussing high tourism and low supply of tourism infrastructure. Many responders have advised to wait 1-2 years until the infrastructure catches up. I am eager to go now to see the country (culturally and economically) in its nascent/beginning stages of development so having upscale accommodation is less of a concern for me. I am a bit confused by this advice to wait 1-2 years because there will be even more tourists! Yes, the infrastructure could catch up but the demand will also be exponentially higher. As I said before, I am interested in seeing Burma in a more "raw" stage of development.
3) As I mentioned, I am planning to be with an organized bike trip for most of my visit. I am considering a few different companies: Backroads, Spice Roads, and Grasshopper. Anyone have any feedback/experiences with these companies? Backroads is about $2000 more expensive than the other two trips and is 5 days shorter, but seems more upscale and established. Spice Roads and Grasshopper seem to have almost identical 13 day trips but I have found only a few reviews for those trips. I'd love to hear if anyone has had experiences with those companies and/or with other companies!
Thank you in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 2 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 3 "necessities" for India
- 4 50th Anniversary trip
- 5 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 6 Mandalay questions
- 7 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 8 Guides ,Bagan and Mandalay
- 9 Asia Transpacific vs Pacific Delight Private Tour to China
- 10 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 11 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 12 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 13 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 14 3 Week Trip to Southeast Asia
- 15 Help - India take 2
- 16 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 17 CNX late arrival?
- 18 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 19 best singapore hotel
- 20 3 weeks: solo travel to Thailand (with stop in Hong Kong and Tokyo)?
- 21 is this a good travel plan?
- 22 currency conversion
- 23 Vietnam - Sa Pa
- 24 The truth about elephant tourism
- 25 Help w/Andaman Sea Itinerary