I have stumbled onto this forum after having my Burma trip almost booked. Love how recent the information is! Hoping to find some answers as I am now wondering if I should go ahead with the trip. I read that there is practically no connection from Burma to United States via e-mail and certainly not by cell phone. I booked the trip without thinking about it, based on my wonderful experience traveling through China and Malaysia and other less developed countries like Egypt or Ukraine, where my blackberry worked flawlessly even in remote areas (in the middle of the desert!). Of course now I know that Burma is another world due to gov. restrictions on communications (dah )
I am planning 2 and a half weeks's trip in early-mid December. My work is such that people need to be able to connect with me for a quick consultation if there is an emergency (they turn to pop up when least wanted or course!) Would be a great relief to know that I could check in at least every 3 days or so via e-mail, or they can reach me through calling my hotel. Does anyone, who has been there recently, know if I can count on being able to send an e-mail using for example Gmail from a hotel or internet cafe? Or signing into a web site that hosts our e-mail account if gmail is not accessible? Is there a WiFi connection in hotels and I can log in using my iPad? Or am I crazy to even think of bringing it along? What about providing people in US with phone numbers of hotels I will be staying in and trusting that the hotel staff will notify me if someone calls or leaves a message? Will anyone even get through via land line from US? Can I call US from some place there? Or should I just expect not be able to connect with anyone in US for the entire trip? Planning to be in Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake.
I have dreamed of going to Burma for so long...and prefer not to have to switch to another destination (although can still re-book the flights without much penalty if I rush)
Booked for Burma. Having second thoughts... Help!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 2 Indonesian visa update
- 3 anyone been to minsk aircraft carrier, Shenzhen while staying in Kowloon
- 4 Honeymoon in december 2014
- 5 Popular Thai hi-so restaurants... Any suggestions?
- 6 Destination Bangkok, again
- 7 Weekend Market and Or Tor Kor-Bangkok
- 8 Kyushu Japan: Driver Needed For Amakusa
- 9 Vietnam October 2014
- 10 Distance from Tokyo to port of Yokohama
- 11 Interesting article about "Good News" being tweeted about Tibet
- 12 Food tours in HCMC/Saigon?
- 13 Shoes for 6 inches of water
- 14 Help us fill our blank itinerary: 1 week in China
- 15 Jeep Safari in Bandhavgarh National Park, India
- 16 India Wildlife Expedition Trip Report!
- 17 3 days in Teheran
- 18 Bhutan, Nepal or both (in about 3 weeks?)
- 19 £0 day visa exempt - 30 day extension
- 20 Myranmar VISA
- 21 new visa fees for Indonesia as of mid-July, 2014
- 22 slightly... paranoid parent
- 23 Takayama vs. Matsumoto
- 24 Craig and Jeane Visit the Last Shangri La: Bhutan 2012
- 25 Seminyak or Jimbaran?