I have stumbled onto this forum after having my Burma trip almost booked. Love how recent the information is! Hoping to find some answers as I am now wondering if I should go ahead with the trip. I read that there is practically no connection from Burma to United States via e-mail and certainly not by cell phone. I booked the trip without thinking about it, based on my wonderful experience traveling through China and Malaysia and other less developed countries like Egypt or Ukraine, where my blackberry worked flawlessly even in remote areas (in the middle of the desert!). Of course now I know that Burma is another world due to gov. restrictions on communications (dah )
I am planning 2 and a half weeks's trip in early-mid December. My work is such that people need to be able to connect with me for a quick consultation if there is an emergency (they turn to pop up when least wanted or course!) Would be a great relief to know that I could check in at least every 3 days or so via e-mail, or they can reach me through calling my hotel. Does anyone, who has been there recently, know if I can count on being able to send an e-mail using for example Gmail from a hotel or internet cafe? Or signing into a web site that hosts our e-mail account if gmail is not accessible? Is there a WiFi connection in hotels and I can log in using my iPad? Or am I crazy to even think of bringing it along? What about providing people in US with phone numbers of hotels I will be staying in and trusting that the hotel staff will notify me if someone calls or leaves a message? Will anyone even get through via land line from US? Can I call US from some place there? Or should I just expect not be able to connect with anyone in US for the entire trip? Planning to be in Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake.
I have dreamed of going to Burma for so long...and prefer not to have to switch to another destination (although can still re-book the flights without much penalty if I rush)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Building Massive Leg Muscles Without The Squat
- 2 7 days in Ho Chi Minh City
- 3 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 4 Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore - advise is needed
- 5 Yes, They Are wearing black in Bangkok
- 6 Tokyo Shopping: Sports Team Tees
- 7 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 8 India in March and April??
- 9 Santa Maria Travels and Inle Lake
- 10 Something out of the ordinary to do in Thailand
- 11 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
- 12 Japan- National Holiday
- 13 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 14 Passport
- 15 Our trip to the Republic of Georgia
- 16 Visiting a Country in Mourning
- 17 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 18 Tips for Others Planning to Visit Japan
- 19 Siem reap to Sihanoukville flight
- 20 How would you spend your last few days in Thailand.
- 21 Are knitting needles allowed on ANA?
- 22 Itinerary help - Thailand 9D8N in Nov'16
- 23 Amakusa island help
- 24 Month in Cambodia and Laos - January 2017
- 25 Weekend Breaks from Singapore