I have stumbled onto this forum after having my Burma trip almost booked. Love how recent the information is! Hoping to find some answers as I am now wondering if I should go ahead with the trip. I read that there is practically no connection from Burma to United States via e-mail and certainly not by cell phone. I booked the trip without thinking about it, based on my wonderful experience traveling through China and Malaysia and other less developed countries like Egypt or Ukraine, where my blackberry worked flawlessly even in remote areas (in the middle of the desert!). Of course now I know that Burma is another world due to gov. restrictions on communications (dah )
I am planning 2 and a half weeks's trip in early-mid December. My work is such that people need to be able to connect with me for a quick consultation if there is an emergency (they turn to pop up when least wanted or course!) Would be a great relief to know that I could check in at least every 3 days or so via e-mail, or they can reach me through calling my hotel. Does anyone, who has been there recently, know if I can count on being able to send an e-mail using for example Gmail from a hotel or internet cafe? Or signing into a web site that hosts our e-mail account if gmail is not accessible? Is there a WiFi connection in hotels and I can log in using my iPad? Or am I crazy to even think of bringing it along? What about providing people in US with phone numbers of hotels I will be staying in and trusting that the hotel staff will notify me if someone calls or leaves a message? Will anyone even get through via land line from US? Can I call US from some place there? Or should I just expect not be able to connect with anyone in US for the entire trip? Planning to be in Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake.
I have dreamed of going to Burma for so long...and prefer not to have to switch to another destination (although can still re-book the flights without much penalty if I rush)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Impressions of India
- 2 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 3 Need ideas for 9 nights end of Feb. in Malaysia or Indonesia
- 4 Kuala Lumpur Advice - Tour Recommendation
- 5 Please Critique My Itinerary
- 6 Taiwan confusion..
- 7 Tokyo daytrip
- 8 Elephant Hills or Elephant Haven in Thailand?
- 9 Namaste India - Shopping/Money
- 10 Does it make sense to stay at 2 Tokyo hotels?
- 11 Help with itinerary for 11 days
- 12 Looking for Ryokan in Hakone
- 13 Laos- two weeks in January
- 14 Japan (Tokyo) trip- April or May least expensive to travel?
- 15 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels
- 16 Ryokan in Hakone - best location?
- 17 Visa for India
- 18 Snapshots From Kerala
- 19 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 20 Other than Kyoto?
- 21 Japan itinerary advice
- 22 Quickie Kathmandu visit worthwhile?
- 23 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback
- 24 Trip Report : China
- 25 help with trip itinerary in April/May