My name is Lee Carlton, and I just wanted to share a little insight into our school's recent trip to Bhutan. The high school that I work for, THINK Global School, holds classes in three different countries each year, and this year a visit to Bhutan for our two week intersession was one of them. For those who have had the privilege to visit, or for those who are wondering whether they should, I can safely say that this was one of our students' favorite trips to date.
Bhutan's simple way of life and gorgeous landscapes definitely struck a chord with everyone that went. The concept of Gross National Happiness (GNH) was a focus of the trip, and the students definitely gained a deeper understanding of it by the end. The trip began in the capital city of Thimphu. From there we progressed throughout the country, visiting the Phobjika Valley and the Bhumtang region.
For those who are considering going, we recommend checking out:
-The 108 stupas at the Dochu Pass are a sight to behold, and the Himalayas behind them are simply stunning. The pass is located just outside Thimphu, so very easy to get to.
-The dzongs! Bhutan's dzongs are full of history, and we had the opportunity to visit several while there, including ones in Thimphu, Trongsa and Punakha. While visiting the Punakha Dzong we took a rafting trip down the Mo Chhu river, which is also recommended. The final dzong we visited, the Tiger's Nest Monastery, might be the grandest of all, and is well worth the trip.
-We took a flight over Bhutan's Phobjikha glacial valley which was simply breathtaking. This is also a fantastic place to bird watch, as the cranes are among the rarest in the world.
I'm glad I could share some details from the trip, and I hope this info is useful. We've shared our students' photos, videos and writings from our trip which you can find here: http://spot.thinkglobalschool.com/tagdashboar...
Hope you enjoy what we came up with, and we'd love to answer any questions you might have regarding Bhutan. Thanks
Bhutan: what an amazing country!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Souvenirs/shopping in Thailand
- 2 THAILAND** Redone based on feedback dropped agent trying to do it myself
- 3 Overnight layover/transit in PEK or Shanghai WITHOUT a visa?
- 4 Thailand,Cambodia,Vietnam Itinerary ***Open to any suggestions
- 5 Thailand and where else in December? Sweden, Australia, Asian cruise?
- 6 Flights from Bangkok to Phnom Penh
- 7 china
- 8 TIPS FOR TRAVELLING THE PHILIPPINES
- 9 5 days booked in Ubud - would you spend one at the Writer's festival?
- 10 where to next after Nanjing 2014 youth olympic games
- 11 Travelling in China at Christmas
- 12 Please critique my Thailand itinerary
- 13 Chiang Mai, flight: best travel logistics to which Island?
- 14 China - Personal recommendations
- 15 TRIP REPORT: Seoul, South Korea (9 days)
- 16 May 31st to June 13th, 2015 in Thailand, need help in itinerary
- 17 Exploring Taiwan off-the-beaten path and on a scooter
- 18 Vietnam and Angkor Wat, Cambodia: Need help organizing Itinerary
- 19 Burma river cruise
- 20 Driving in Laos
- 21 JR PASS AND ITINERARY
- 22 Kyoto to Koyasan, then Koyasan to Hiroshima
- 23 How would you organize this itinerary?
- 24 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 25 Translation Help: Marathi