My name is Lee Carlton, and I just wanted to share a little insight into our school's recent trip to Bhutan. The high school that I work for, THINK Global School, holds classes in three different countries each year, and this year a visit to Bhutan for our two week intersession was one of them. For those who have had the privilege to visit, or for those who are wondering whether they should, I can safely say that this was one of our students' favorite trips to date.
Bhutan's simple way of life and gorgeous landscapes definitely struck a chord with everyone that went. The concept of Gross National Happiness (GNH) was a focus of the trip, and the students definitely gained a deeper understanding of it by the end. The trip began in the capital city of Thimphu. From there we progressed throughout the country, visiting the Phobjika Valley and the Bhumtang region.
For those who are considering going, we recommend checking out:
-The 108 stupas at the Dochu Pass are a sight to behold, and the Himalayas behind them are simply stunning. The pass is located just outside Thimphu, so very easy to get to.
-The dzongs! Bhutan's dzongs are full of history, and we had the opportunity to visit several while there, including ones in Thimphu, Trongsa and Punakha. While visiting the Punakha Dzong we took a rafting trip down the Mo Chhu river, which is also recommended. The final dzong we visited, the Tiger's Nest Monastery, might be the grandest of all, and is well worth the trip.
-We took a flight over Bhutan's Phobjikha glacial valley which was simply breathtaking. This is also a fantastic place to bird watch, as the cranes are among the rarest in the world.
I'm glad I could share some details from the trip, and I hope this info is useful. We've shared our students' photos, videos and writings from our trip which you can find here: http://spot.thinkglobalschool.com/tagdashboar...
Hope you enjoy what we came up with, and we'd love to answer any questions you might have regarding Bhutan. Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 14 days in Myanmar
- 2 Harbin in mid March
- 3 Are 8 days enough for this itinerary ?
- 4 Changing planes at Dubai
- 5 Chestnuts, Hokusai, Snow Monkeys: two day trip to Obuse & Shibu Onsen
- 6 50th Anniversary trip
- 7 Recommended novel for those visiting (or who have visited ) Cambodia
- 8 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 9 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 10 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 11 Indian Food Series
- 12 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 13 "necessities" for India
- 14 Osaka-Kyoto-Shiragawa-Tokyo
- 15 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 16 New Year Eve in Hanoi
- 17 Early planning for Kazakhstan and Mongolia
- 18 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 19 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 20 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 21 Short trip to Myanmar
- 22 ATMs in Japan
- 23 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 24 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 25 A Journey to Jagna, Bohol - Trip Report