My name is Lee Carlton, and I just wanted to share a little insight into our school's recent trip to Bhutan. The high school that I work for, THINK Global School, holds classes in three different countries each year, and this year a visit to Bhutan for our two week intersession was one of them. For those who have had the privilege to visit, or for those who are wondering whether they should, I can safely say that this was one of our students' favorite trips to date.
Bhutan's simple way of life and gorgeous landscapes definitely struck a chord with everyone that went. The concept of Gross National Happiness (GNH) was a focus of the trip, and the students definitely gained a deeper understanding of it by the end. The trip began in the capital city of Thimphu. From there we progressed throughout the country, visiting the Phobjika Valley and the Bhumtang region.
For those who are considering going, we recommend checking out:
-The 108 stupas at the Dochu Pass are a sight to behold, and the Himalayas behind them are simply stunning. The pass is located just outside Thimphu, so very easy to get to.
-The dzongs! Bhutan's dzongs are full of history, and we had the opportunity to visit several while there, including ones in Thimphu, Trongsa and Punakha. While visiting the Punakha Dzong we took a rafting trip down the Mo Chhu river, which is also recommended. The final dzong we visited, the Tiger's Nest Monastery, might be the grandest of all, and is well worth the trip.
-We took a flight over Bhutan's Phobjikha glacial valley which was simply breathtaking. This is also a fantastic place to bird watch, as the cranes are among the rarest in the world.
I'm glad I could share some details from the trip, and I hope this info is useful. We've shared our students' photos, videos and writings from our trip which you can find here: http://spot.thinkglobalschool.com/tagdashboar...
Hope you enjoy what we came up with, and we'd love to answer any questions you might have regarding Bhutan. Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam - September 2015
- 2 Your "must try" Japanese food experiences.
- 3 Rain, hail (softened by sakura) couldn't stop us from loving Japan!
- 4 Is the Cable Car to Ngong Ping Village in Hong Kong worth it?
- 5 Japan Itinerary Help
- 6 Where to stay in Koyasan?
- 7 which street food tour in Hanoi?
- 8 Hotel in Tokyo
- 9 Trip out from Bangkok to Laos, Cambodia or ?
- 10 Nepal - Earthquake (25 April 2015)
- 11 Do you travel with an air mask (N95) when you go to China?
- 12 Trip report: Thailand and Laos - Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Luang Prabang
- 13 Khao Lak
- 14 Hakone Ryokan - Gora Kansuiro
- 15 Khmer people please help me with translation
- 16 trekking in SE Asia
- 17 TR 'From DC to Delhi and beyond' dated 25 February 2015
- 18 INDIA: "A Pleasant Surprise"
- 19 Applying Indian Visa - 1 photo or 2 ?
- 20 Which Cities in India if Only Have 8 days on Land?
- 21 Vietnam Itinerary- Help!
- 22 Re: Small and wonderful Singapore
- 23 Thailand and Myanmar-Hot Hot Hot!
- 24 Suggestions for plan B?: a week in Thailand in early November
- 25 Gang rape in India. Again.