My name is Lee Carlton, and I just wanted to share a little insight into our school's recent trip to Bhutan. The high school that I work for, THINK Global School, holds classes in three different countries each year, and this year a visit to Bhutan for our two week intersession was one of them. For those who have had the privilege to visit, or for those who are wondering whether they should, I can safely say that this was one of our students' favorite trips to date.
Bhutan's simple way of life and gorgeous landscapes definitely struck a chord with everyone that went. The concept of Gross National Happiness (GNH) was a focus of the trip, and the students definitely gained a deeper understanding of it by the end. The trip began in the capital city of Thimphu. From there we progressed throughout the country, visiting the Phobjika Valley and the Bhumtang region.
For those who are considering going, we recommend checking out:
-The 108 stupas at the Dochu Pass are a sight to behold, and the Himalayas behind them are simply stunning. The pass is located just outside Thimphu, so very easy to get to.
-The dzongs! Bhutan's dzongs are full of history, and we had the opportunity to visit several while there, including ones in Thimphu, Trongsa and Punakha. While visiting the Punakha Dzong we took a rafting trip down the Mo Chhu river, which is also recommended. The final dzong we visited, the Tiger's Nest Monastery, might be the grandest of all, and is well worth the trip.
-We took a flight over Bhutan's Phobjikha glacial valley which was simply breathtaking. This is also a fantastic place to bird watch, as the cranes are among the rarest in the world.
I'm glad I could share some details from the trip, and I hope this info is useful. We've shared our students' photos, videos and writings from our trip which you can find here: http://spot.thinkglobalschool.com/tagdashboar...
Hope you enjoy what we came up with, and we'd love to answer any questions you might have regarding Bhutan. Thanks
Bhutan: what an amazing country!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Independent female traveller
- 2 One week in India
- 3 10 Days in Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia
- 4 Travel Within -- The Art of Living International Center, Bangalore
- 5 HELP! BKK, UdonThani&Beach Budget Family
- 6 Hotel or Air First for Japan?
- 7 Itinerary for Second Visit to Japan
- 8 End of March - Seeking a fabulous ryokan relatively near Tokyo for 2 nights
- 9 Castle & King
- 10 North Vietnam Again!
- 11 In Chiang Mai Thailand
- 12 The City, the River, the Jungle: Our Holiday in Kuching - Borneo
- 13 Bangkok airport taxi options
- 14 Final Itinerary Kyoto area through Kamakura (skipping Tokyo this trip)
- 15 Complex Travel Group - Doable? Safe?
- 16 Smeagol and Muffin in Sri Lanka ( and a quick stop in Dubai)
- 17 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 18 Shoe/sock étiquette for temple viewing
- 19 6 nights at Bahdhavgahr, or split between Bandhavgarg and Kanha?
- 20 Where to stay for 2-3 nights between Tsumago and Hakone April 2015
- 21 Borneo or Sri Lanka for vacation?
- 22 reviews wanted for Sinorama tour company
- 23 We Recommend Our Guides! Saigon, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Angkor
- 24 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 25 Anyone visit an Orphanage while in Sri Lanka???-Want to help if we can