I recently came back from a trip to Cambodia in October this year and I wanted to look at some precious stones since Cambodia is known for having sapphires, emerals and ruby mines. So the guide took us to a store called CITY GEMS, located in Siem Reap. He told us the store was guaranteed by the Cambodian Government and that we should be very careful about buying stones anywhere else. The day we went was the last day we were staying since we were taking a flight to another place that same day so I didnt even bothered checking on internet about them, however when I came back home and enter in the internet their name, horror stories of people that have been scam started surfacing, I read about people that went and had their jewelry appraised and found out it was only colored glass. I contacted my travel agency whom with their local contacts went to the store and they told me to send the stones back that they were refunding only 50%, I told them that I didnt think there was a need for me to pay a courier to send those pieces of glass back and that since they are fake they should refund me 100% my money back, we bought a set of what were suppossed to be sapphire and another emerald set. I wrote to the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I have sent already 3 emails with no response from them which to me is a lack of respect because these people are doing this to tourist and they are not putting a stop to those thieves, I am very upset and want my money back which I am still struggling to get, but definitely I wanted to get the word out so people can be aware of these scam, and not to go to this store and be careful if shopping precious stones in those countries, I asked them to give a certificate and they said they will send it with the guide but all they sent was a card saying basically nothing, but not a certificate from GIA or else, all I have is my credit card receipt and those cards they sent.
BE CAREFUL WITH THE STORE CITY GEMS IN SIEM REAP, CAMBODIA
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 HELP! BKK, UdonThani&Beach Budget Family
- 2 reviews wanted for Sinorama tour company
- 3 In Chiang Mai Thailand
- 4 Bangkok airport taxi options
- 5 We Recommend Our Guides! Saigon, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Angkor
- 6 North Vietnam Again!
- 7 End of March - Seeking a fabulous ryokan relatively near Tokyo for 2 nights
- 8 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 9 Anyone visit an Orphanage while in Sri Lanka???-Want to help if we can
- 10 Has anyone seen any tandem bicycle rentals in Luang Prabang?
- 11 Top ten historical monuments in India - what is yours?
- 12 Driving in Laos
- 13 Best Taiwan Sites
- 14 10 Days in Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia
- 15 13 Hour layover in KL, never visited city before, ideas?
- 16 Japan Itinerary Help Please! 4.5-4.17
- 17 Passport Safety
- 18 Sightseeing suggestions for Manila
- 19 My trip report from the Philippines
- 20 Art in Shanghai
- 21 One week in Thailand
- 22 Thailand, Laos, Cambodia
- 23 Which to see first - Kyoto or Tokyo?
- 24 A hero in Myanmar: A man who does his job
- 25 Final Itinerary Kyoto area through Kamakura (skipping Tokyo this trip)