I recently came back from a trip to Cambodia in October this year and I wanted to look at some precious stones since Cambodia is known for having sapphires, emerals and ruby mines. So the guide took us to a store called CITY GEMS, located in Siem Reap. He told us the store was guaranteed by the Cambodian Government and that we should be very careful about buying stones anywhere else. The day we went was the last day we were staying since we were taking a flight to another place that same day so I didnt even bothered checking on internet about them, however when I came back home and enter in the internet their name, horror stories of people that have been scam started surfacing, I read about people that went and had their jewelry appraised and found out it was only colored glass. I contacted my travel agency whom with their local contacts went to the store and they told me to send the stones back that they were refunding only 50%, I told them that I didnt think there was a need for me to pay a courier to send those pieces of glass back and that since they are fake they should refund me 100% my money back, we bought a set of what were suppossed to be sapphire and another emerald set. I wrote to the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I have sent already 3 emails with no response from them which to me is a lack of respect because these people are doing this to tourist and they are not putting a stop to those thieves, I am very upset and want my money back which I am still struggling to get, but definitely I wanted to get the word out so people can be aware of these scam, and not to go to this store and be careful if shopping precious stones in those countries, I asked them to give a certificate and they said they will send it with the guide but all they sent was a card saying basically nothing, but not a certificate from GIA or else, all I have is my credit card receipt and those cards they sent.
BE CAREFUL WITH THE STORE CITY GEMS IN SIEM REAP, CAMBODIA
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 3 days in Lahore, need some suggestions
- 2 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 3 "Naga New Year Festival 2015"
- 4 The City, the River, the Jungle: Our Holiday in Kuching - Borneo
- 5 Explorer the wildlife of Jim Corbett National Park
- 6 Where to stay for 2-3 nights between Tsumago and Hakone April 2015
- 7 Indian visa
- 8 One week in Thailand
- 9 How would you do Hiroshima & Miyajima if can only stay 1 night in Miyajima?
- 10 US citizens applying for India visa--take care which website you use
- 11 First trip to Japan-17 night Itinerary in Cherry Blossom season
- 12 Can you HELP with figuring out United Miles and how to get them SF-Bangkok?
- 13 Trip to Mt. Merapi and Prambanan Temple, Indonesia
- 14 Is Asiana Airlines safe?
- 15 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 16 Kyoto: hotel choices, guides,day trip to Nara
- 17 Japan Itinerary Help Please! 4.5-4.17
- 18 Which is better with kids, Dubai or Singapore ?
- 19 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much
- 20 Assistance planning remaining 5 days in South Thailand
- 21 First trip to China ! Need help with itinerary
- 22 Mangalore, India as cruise stop…seems underwhelming
- 23 Final Itinerary Kyoto area through Kamakura (skipping Tokyo this trip)
- 24 Which to see first - Kyoto or Tokyo?
- 25 13 Hour layover in KL, never visited city before, ideas?