My apologies to those who read this on the Laos forum. and my thank you to those who have provided Southeast Asia advice over the years.
Anyway, I've finally uploaded my trip report from my (unintentional) Bangkok and (intentional) Luang Prabang voyage a few years ago, which includes a lot of hard-earned lessons and some deserved recommendations.
• #1: Make sure you have enough pages in your passport
• #2: Buy a Nancy Chandler map
• Stay at the Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel
• Don’t miss the Buddhas: Reclining Buddha, Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha (my favorite)
• Climb Wat Arun
• Visit the Grand Palace
• Tour the Jim Thompson House
• Have a traditional Thai massage and get twisted like a pretzel
• Check-out the Chatuchak Weekend Market (unless you’re claustrophobic)
• Anything you’ll ever need is at the Siam Paragon Mall
• Reconsider staying at the Phranakorn Nornlen
• Stay at the Navalai River Resort (pay a few dollars extra for a river view room, and request the top floor)
• Try the Siraraj Medical Museum if you do not have a faint heart
• See the Giant Swing
• Experience the bizarre Corrections Museum
• Eat at Cabbages and Condoms
• Ride a bike through the Ancient City
• DO NOT MISS the Erawan Museum
• Oh, and... trust your travel intuition!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Tour Payment Deposit to Castle and King
- 2 NRT 21 hrs layover, need help with train schedule
- 3 OAT trip to India
- 4 Thailand Itinerary...which order?
- 5 Chiang Mai...should we?
- 6 Skip Vientaine, a mistake?
- 7 more problems for Tiger Temple - Abbot mauled
- 8 Hakone Free Pass
- 9 Castle & King tour operator review
- 10 Santhiya or Anatara in Koh Phangan?
- 11 First trip to Japan
- 12 2 weeks in Vietnam
- 13 What beach to choose?!?!
- 14 Thailand itinerary help - 3 weeks in December
- 15 Calling habitués of Chiang Rai.
- 16 Singapore or Bali
- 17 Travel to Singapore & Area with Husband and 2 teenage boys
- 18 Driver recommendation in Bali
- 19 RHK'S Spring trip
- 20 Hotels in Beijing
- 21 Need a place to stay in Chang Mai
- 22 Trekking in Tsum Valley Nepal with Great Vision Treks&Expedition
- 23 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia
- 24 Hanoi, Vietnam - The last days in April, 2015
- 25 Kunming, Yunnan, China