My apologies to those who read this on the Laos forum. and my thank you to those who have provided Southeast Asia advice over the years.
Anyway, I've finally uploaded my trip report from my (unintentional) Bangkok and (intentional) Luang Prabang voyage a few years ago, which includes a lot of hard-earned lessons and some deserved recommendations.
• #1: Make sure you have enough pages in your passport
• #2: Buy a Nancy Chandler map
• Stay at the Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel
• Don’t miss the Buddhas: Reclining Buddha, Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha (my favorite)
• Climb Wat Arun
• Visit the Grand Palace
• Tour the Jim Thompson House
• Have a traditional Thai massage and get twisted like a pretzel
• Check-out the Chatuchak Weekend Market (unless you’re claustrophobic)
• Anything you’ll ever need is at the Siam Paragon Mall
• Reconsider staying at the Phranakorn Nornlen
• Stay at the Navalai River Resort (pay a few dollars extra for a river view room, and request the top floor)
• Try the Siraraj Medical Museum if you do not have a faint heart
• See the Giant Swing
• Experience the bizarre Corrections Museum
• Eat at Cabbages and Condoms
• Ride a bike through the Ancient City
• DO NOT MISS the Erawan Museum
• Oh, and... trust your travel intuition!!!
BANGKOK - Where My Travel Luck Ran Out
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Malaria
- 2 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 3 Hotels in Hong Kong
- 4 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 5 SE Asia July/August - more itinerary advice needed
- 6 Has anyone done a houseboat trip in Kerala
- 7 what gifts to take to host in Cambodia from the U.D.
- 8 Living in Bangalore, India for 12 months. How to handle Malaria?
- 9 Diving in Thailand? Be aware!
- 10 Have you stayed at Outrigger Laguna Beach Resort Phuket?
- 11 Cherry blossom
- 12 Hua Hin or another family friendly beach?
- 13 Trip Report on Recent Journey to Nepal
- 14 How safe is Delhi/India
- 15 Shopping in Akhiabara
- 16 Which Putu in Bali????
- 17 Calling all Boracay experts!
- 18 10 hour layover in Tokyo Narita Airport
- 19 Suggestion for which city to break up our flights on the way to India?
- 20 Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Luang Say, Chiang Rai, Singapore (but no Siem Reap)
- 21 Malaysia in September
- 22 Trip Report: Malaysian Borneo and Singapore
- 23 Asiana lounge in Seoul
- 24 Truly a one day suit in Hong Kong?
- 25 Bangkok, Penang and Chiang Mai - Kathie's 2006 Trip Report