My apologies to those who read this on the Laos forum. and my thank you to those who have provided Southeast Asia advice over the years.
Anyway, I've finally uploaded my trip report from my (unintentional) Bangkok and (intentional) Luang Prabang voyage a few years ago, which includes a lot of hard-earned lessons and some deserved recommendations.
• #1: Make sure you have enough pages in your passport
• #2: Buy a Nancy Chandler map
• Stay at the Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel
• Don’t miss the Buddhas: Reclining Buddha, Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha (my favorite)
• Climb Wat Arun
• Visit the Grand Palace
• Tour the Jim Thompson House
• Have a traditional Thai massage and get twisted like a pretzel
• Check-out the Chatuchak Weekend Market (unless you’re claustrophobic)
• Anything you’ll ever need is at the Siam Paragon Mall
• Reconsider staying at the Phranakorn Nornlen
• Stay at the Navalai River Resort (pay a few dollars extra for a river view room, and request the top floor)
• Try the Siraraj Medical Museum if you do not have a faint heart
• See the Giant Swing
• Experience the bizarre Corrections Museum
• Eat at Cabbages and Condoms
• Ride a bike through the Ancient City
• DO NOT MISS the Erawan Museum
• Oh, and... trust your travel intuition!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Itinerary set for Japan trip #2: working on some details
- 2 Sinorama Tour-Oct. 1, 2016
- 3 Your Feedback Appreciated on Two Possible Thailand/Cambodia Itineraries
- 4 Interestig article about Luang Prabang & UNESCO heritage appellation
- 5 HK - affordable "outer" areas for accommodation
- 6 Beijing - ? - Hong Kong. Where should we go in between?
- 7 Backstreet Academy
- 8 Seoul Searching Questions
- 9 Trip with kids. Singapore or Japan ??
- 10 Hakone station confusion
- 11 Hotel 71 in Dhaka – Best 3 Star Hotel in Dhaka near Airport Bangladesh.
- 12 Japanese art
- 13 Travelling in China during the summer period
- 14 Visa on Arrival
- 15 Deluxe Luangsay cruise or mid-range cruise like Nagi of Mekong or Shompoo?
- 16 Cebu where to stay
- 17 Osaka Kyoto Nara Itinerary
- 18 Borneo/Sabah Itinerary: Danum or Kinabatagan?
- 19 Last questions (train pass!) on 19-day itinerary
- 20 Traveling to SE Asia
- 21 Elephants, Gibbons and Cambodian Countryside
- 22 Tailor recommendation in Hoi An Viet Nam
- 23 Rupees upon arrival in Delhi
- 24 Rifaximin for the dreaded stomach issues
- 25 First Trip to Japan in April 2016