My apologies to those who read this on the Laos forum. and my thank you to those who have provided Southeast Asia advice over the years.
Anyway, I've finally uploaded my trip report from my (unintentional) Bangkok and (intentional) Luang Prabang voyage a few years ago, which includes a lot of hard-earned lessons and some deserved recommendations.
• #1: Make sure you have enough pages in your passport
• #2: Buy a Nancy Chandler map
• Stay at the Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel
• Don’t miss the Buddhas: Reclining Buddha, Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha (my favorite)
• Climb Wat Arun
• Visit the Grand Palace
• Tour the Jim Thompson House
• Have a traditional Thai massage and get twisted like a pretzel
• Check-out the Chatuchak Weekend Market (unless you’re claustrophobic)
• Anything you’ll ever need is at the Siam Paragon Mall
• Reconsider staying at the Phranakorn Nornlen
• Stay at the Navalai River Resort (pay a few dollars extra for a river view room, and request the top floor)
• Try the Siraraj Medical Museum if you do not have a faint heart
• See the Giant Swing
• Experience the bizarre Corrections Museum
• Eat at Cabbages and Condoms
• Ride a bike through the Ancient City
• DO NOT MISS the Erawan Museum
• Oh, and... trust your travel intuition!!!
BANGKOK - Where My Travel Luck Ran Out
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Bagan Entry Fee to Rise by One-Third
- 2 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 3 Need a guide in Burma?
- 4 What to pack? For Burma and Thailand
- 5 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 6 Yikes! How to get a Visa to India??
- 7 Japan and Hong Kong, September 2014
- 8 Angkor Wat tour guide recommedations
- 9 We recommend our Seoul serviced apartment
- 10 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 11 Vietnam Part 7 - the Final Leg
- 12 End Oct & early Nov a good time for viewing wildlife in Borneo?
- 13 One Week in Beijing, what would you do?
- 14 Help with Myanmar Itinerary 15 nights
- 15 How safe is it for US Citizens in Hat Yai and Violence in Southern Thailand
- 16 Thailand - what to wear in November, and, cosmetics
- 17 Xian - Make your own warriors?
- 18 Kyoto and beyond - 9 days trip in April 2014
- 19 Japan & Korea - A little of this, a little of that
- 20 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 21 Overnight trek to Mine Thauk Village?
- 22 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
- 23 Belated 2012 Trip Report - Two Weeks in South Korea
- 24 Custom made women's wool slacks in Seoul
- 25 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014