My apologies to those who read this on the Laos forum. and my thank you to those who have provided Southeast Asia advice over the years.
Anyway, I've finally uploaded my trip report from my (unintentional) Bangkok and (intentional) Luang Prabang voyage a few years ago, which includes a lot of hard-earned lessons and some deserved recommendations.
• #1: Make sure you have enough pages in your passport
• #2: Buy a Nancy Chandler map
• Stay at the Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel
• Don’t miss the Buddhas: Reclining Buddha, Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha (my favorite)
• Climb Wat Arun
• Visit the Grand Palace
• Tour the Jim Thompson House
• Have a traditional Thai massage and get twisted like a pretzel
• Check-out the Chatuchak Weekend Market (unless you’re claustrophobic)
• Anything you’ll ever need is at the Siam Paragon Mall
• Reconsider staying at the Phranakorn Nornlen
• Stay at the Navalai River Resort (pay a few dollars extra for a river view room, and request the top floor)
• Try the Siraraj Medical Museum if you do not have a faint heart
• See the Giant Swing
• Experience the bizarre Corrections Museum
• Eat at Cabbages and Condoms
• Ride a bike through the Ancient City
• DO NOT MISS the Erawan Museum
• Oh, and... trust your travel intuition!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 A couple of Kyoto questions
- 2 Kerala- Periyar or Alleppey, which place is more scenic ?
- 3 Japanese Alps
- 4 One month in Java and Bali
- 5 Visa Service Referral Needed
- 6 Visa Application Form
- 7 Kyushu planning (March-April)
- 8 Surin Beach - Rubbish Reports?
- 9 Inoculations for Vietnam & Camboda
- 10 Hotel in Langkawi
- 11 Rerouting My Itinerary/April 2016
- 12 How to avoid MSG in China?
- 13 1 week rental in Kyoto (machiya / apartment)
- 14 Itinerary Hong Kong and Japan - 12 full days
- 15 Is Dalat worth a visit?
- 16 Thailand and ? 4 weeks summer 2016
- 17 Sweltering, steamy, sizzingly southern India--It was hot!
- 18 Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly
- 19 Kavey April 2016 Japan Itinerary Planning
- 20 Last Minute Advice for my First Visit to Japan
- 21 Langkawi
- 22 Early planning for yet another "second trip" to Japan
- 23 Last Minute 3 week Japan Trip *HELP!*
- 24 Safety of KKH
- 25 SE Asia Mid October