My apologies to those who read this on the Laos forum. and my thank you to those who have provided Southeast Asia advice over the years.
Anyway, I've finally uploaded my trip report from my (unintentional) Bangkok and (intentional) Luang Prabang voyage a few years ago, which includes a lot of hard-earned lessons and some deserved recommendations.
• #1: Make sure you have enough pages in your passport
• #2: Buy a Nancy Chandler map
• Stay at the Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel
• Don’t miss the Buddhas: Reclining Buddha, Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha (my favorite)
• Climb Wat Arun
• Visit the Grand Palace
• Tour the Jim Thompson House
• Have a traditional Thai massage and get twisted like a pretzel
• Check-out the Chatuchak Weekend Market (unless you’re claustrophobic)
• Anything you’ll ever need is at the Siam Paragon Mall
• Reconsider staying at the Phranakorn Nornlen
• Stay at the Navalai River Resort (pay a few dollars extra for a river view room, and request the top floor)
• Try the Siraraj Medical Museum if you do not have a faint heart
• See the Giant Swing
• Experience the bizarre Corrections Museum
• Eat at Cabbages and Condoms
• Ride a bike through the Ancient City
• DO NOT MISS the Erawan Museum
• Oh, and... trust your travel intuition!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 5 weeks in Japan
- 2 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 3 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 4 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 5 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 6 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 7 Lodge in Borneo
- 8 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 9 China and Japan help
- 10 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 11 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 12 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 13 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 14 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 15 Requesting Passport Number
- 16 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 17 Kompong Kleang or Kompong Phluk?
- 18 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 19 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 20 Phu Quoc
- 21 looking for Vietnam based TA to help plan trip
- 22 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 23 Help! India Visa question....
- 24 Singapore hotel
- 25 Splitting time between Hoi An and Hue