My apologies to those who read this on the Laos forum. and my thank you to those who have provided Southeast Asia advice over the years.
Anyway, I've finally uploaded my trip report from my (unintentional) Bangkok and (intentional) Luang Prabang voyage a few years ago, which includes a lot of hard-earned lessons and some deserved recommendations.
• #1: Make sure you have enough pages in your passport
• #2: Buy a Nancy Chandler map
• Stay at the Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel
• Don’t miss the Buddhas: Reclining Buddha, Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha (my favorite)
• Climb Wat Arun
• Visit the Grand Palace
• Tour the Jim Thompson House
• Have a traditional Thai massage and get twisted like a pretzel
• Check-out the Chatuchak Weekend Market (unless you’re claustrophobic)
• Anything you’ll ever need is at the Siam Paragon Mall
• Reconsider staying at the Phranakorn Nornlen
• Stay at the Navalai River Resort (pay a few dollars extra for a river view room, and request the top floor)
• Try the Siraraj Medical Museum if you do not have a faint heart
• See the Giant Swing
• Experience the bizarre Corrections Museum
• Eat at Cabbages and Condoms
• Ride a bike through the Ancient City
• DO NOT MISS the Erawan Museum
• Oh, and... trust your travel intuition!!!
BANGKOK - Where My Travel Luck Ran Out
- 1 New Year's Week in Tokyo- Advice Please!!
- 2 Draft itinerary - appreciate some input
- 3 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 4 Buy India Sim card there or here?
- 5 South East Asia
- 6 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 7 Craig and Jeane's Japan Photos are Up
- 8 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 9 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 10 Craig and Jeane Visit Japan - 2013 Trip Report
- 11 1 week Philippines
- 12 Beijing - is the air quality THAT bad?
- 13 Japan: best time to go?
- 14 Magical India
- 15 Car hire in India -- Narendra Kumar and hiredriverindia.com
- 16 Travel Insurance
- 17 Resorts With Private Cabins Instead Of Hotel Rooms?
- 18 Varanasi lodging - to ghat or not to ghat etc etc - help!
- 19 SALAY from BAGAN
- 20 Visa process for those residing in NY/NJ/CT
- 21 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 22 Next trip: Sri Lanka & Maldives. Need help from the travel gods.
- 23 cell phone in india
- 24 Night cruise to Kyushu from Kansai (Osaka and Kobe)
- 25 Bangkok - Silver Shops