My apologies to those who read this on the Laos forum. and my thank you to those who have provided Southeast Asia advice over the years.
Anyway, I've finally uploaded my trip report from my (unintentional) Bangkok and (intentional) Luang Prabang voyage a few years ago, which includes a lot of hard-earned lessons and some deserved recommendations.
• #1: Make sure you have enough pages in your passport
• #2: Buy a Nancy Chandler map
• Stay at the Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel
• Don’t miss the Buddhas: Reclining Buddha, Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha (my favorite)
• Climb Wat Arun
• Visit the Grand Palace
• Tour the Jim Thompson House
• Have a traditional Thai massage and get twisted like a pretzel
• Check-out the Chatuchak Weekend Market (unless you’re claustrophobic)
• Anything you’ll ever need is at the Siam Paragon Mall
• Reconsider staying at the Phranakorn Nornlen
• Stay at the Navalai River Resort (pay a few dollars extra for a river view room, and request the top floor)
• Try the Siraraj Medical Museum if you do not have a faint heart
• See the Giant Swing
• Experience the bizarre Corrections Museum
• Eat at Cabbages and Condoms
• Ride a bike through the Ancient City
• DO NOT MISS the Erawan Museum
• Oh, and... trust your travel intuition!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Need ideas for 9 nights end of Feb. in Malaysia or Indonesia
- 2 Kuala Lumpur Advice - Tour Recommendation
- 3 Please Critique My Itinerary
- 4 Taiwan confusion..
- 5 Tokyo daytrip
- 6 Elephant Hills or Elephant Haven in Thailand?
- 7 Namaste India - Shopping/Money
- 8 Does it make sense to stay at 2 Tokyo hotels?
- 9 Help with itinerary for 11 days
- 10 Looking for Ryokan in Hakone
- 11 Laos- two weeks in January
- 12 Japan (Tokyo) trip- April or May least expensive to travel?
- 13 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels
- 14 Ryokan in Hakone - best location?
- 15 Visa for India
- 16 Snapshots From Kerala
- 17 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 18 Other than Kyoto?
- 19 Japan itinerary advice
- 20 Quickie Kathmandu visit worthwhile?
- 21 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback
- 22 Trip Report : China
- 23 help with trip itinerary in April/May
- 24 Japan GTG, early April
- 25 Upcoming friendly planet trip best of India and nepql