My apologies to those who read this on the Laos forum. and my thank you to those who have provided Southeast Asia advice over the years.
Anyway, I've finally uploaded my trip report from my (unintentional) Bangkok and (intentional) Luang Prabang voyage a few years ago, which includes a lot of hard-earned lessons and some deserved recommendations.
• #1: Make sure you have enough pages in your passport
• #2: Buy a Nancy Chandler map
• Stay at the Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel
• Don’t miss the Buddhas: Reclining Buddha, Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha (my favorite)
• Climb Wat Arun
• Visit the Grand Palace
• Tour the Jim Thompson House
• Have a traditional Thai massage and get twisted like a pretzel
• Check-out the Chatuchak Weekend Market (unless you’re claustrophobic)
• Anything you’ll ever need is at the Siam Paragon Mall
• Reconsider staying at the Phranakorn Nornlen
• Stay at the Navalai River Resort (pay a few dollars extra for a river view room, and request the top floor)
• Try the Siraraj Medical Museum if you do not have a faint heart
• See the Giant Swing
• Experience the bizarre Corrections Museum
• Eat at Cabbages and Condoms
• Ride a bike through the Ancient City
• DO NOT MISS the Erawan Museum
• Oh, and... trust your travel intuition!!!
BANGKOK - Where My Travel Luck Ran Out
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 2 week Japan itinerary
- 2 Bali - January 2015
- 3 Need help planning a trip to Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam
- 4 Visa Cambodia
- 5 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 6 Sri Lanka itinerary-please critic
- 7 Taken to the police station for not carrying documents... please, help!
- 8 Guide/Driver for Mumbai,
- 9 Please comment re. itinerary for Indochina
- 10 Stop-over in Seoul
- 11 Pai in N. Thailand? Worth it?
- 12 Day trip by car from Kyoto?
- 13 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Sri Lanka Not Bangladesh
- 14 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 15 Our favorite hotels and restaurants of Bali – Ubud, Amed, Pemuteran
- 16 meeting at beijing airport
- 17 One week in Tokyo
- 18 Suggestions for bike tour operators that offer smaller tours (4-5 days)
- 19 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 20 Souvenirs/shopping in Thailand
- 21 Travelling in China at Christmas
- 22 Sri Lanka vacation with 4 year old.... 10 Day Itenerary Review Help...
- 23 Confused about where to stay in Tokyo
- 24 Hotel in Singapore
- 25 Any new BKK hotels or with new mgt. worth checking on?