Two retired pals considering Thailand for 5-6 week winter trip (last year's was to India, with help from this forum - if interested, see trip report under my name). Rather than moving around for the whole trip, was thinking about renting a place for a month to get a feel for one city while also using it as a base for short side trips in both N and S Thailand and, possibly, to either Vientiane/LP or Pnomh Penh. First thought was Chiang Mai but now wondering whether BKK might in fact be a better base given its location and good access to air/train connections. Question is this: is it crazy to think of Bangkok as a place comfortably to hang around for a while, explore different neighborhoods, experience "local" life, etc., or is it just too intense & harsh? We are ex-Manhattanites so not intimidated by big cities per se, but recognize that some are easier in which to live, even for a short time, than others. Thanks for any perspectives.
Bangkok for a month: crazy?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Trip report/blog - 10 days in Tokyo and Kyoto
- 2 Bangkok - Side trip to Ayutthaya
- 3 Honeymoon in december 2014
- 4 Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai -- HOW?
- 5 Favorite travel apps?
- 6 Honeymoon in Nha Trang
- 7 Food tours in HCMC/Saigon?
- 8 Weekend Market and Or Tor Kor-Bangkok
- 9 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 10 Selecting A Guide for Bhutan (Bridge To Bhutan)
- 11 Destination Bangkok, again
- 12 Knockoff Designer bags in Vietnam?
- 13 Foreign currency
- 14 how to book a train from -DaNang to Hue, Vietnam
- 15 Vacay to Thailand end of December-January 2014
- 16 Airfare from Bali to Ko Samui
- 17 Honeymoon In sept
- 18 Vietnam October 2014
- 19 India Wildlife Expedition Trip Report!
- 20 Indonesian visa update
- 21 Tourist Visa for France/UK
- 22 Kyushu Japan: Driver Needed For Amakusa
- 23 Hong Kong in June - Oh The Humidity!!
- 24 where can i find replica handbags
- 25 anyone been to minsk aircraft carrier, Shenzhen while staying in Kowloon