Two retired pals considering Thailand for 5-6 week winter trip (last year's was to India, with help from this forum - if interested, see trip report under my name). Rather than moving around for the whole trip, was thinking about renting a place for a month to get a feel for one city while also using it as a base for short side trips in both N and S Thailand and, possibly, to either Vientiane/LP or Pnomh Penh. First thought was Chiang Mai but now wondering whether BKK might in fact be a better base given its location and good access to air/train connections. Question is this: is it crazy to think of Bangkok as a place comfortably to hang around for a while, explore different neighborhoods, experience "local" life, etc., or is it just too intense & harsh? We are ex-Manhattanites so not intimidated by big cities per se, but recognize that some are easier in which to live, even for a short time, than others. Thanks for any perspectives.
Bangkok for a month: crazy?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Nepal - Earthquake (25 April 2015)
- 2 What is Most Interesting Taipei Area for First Timers?
- 3 Siam Niramit show and dinner-Go or no go?
- 4 Photos from India!
- 5 Bangkok, here I come! Yes, again!!
- 6 Leaving Thursday for Bangkok/Phuket
- 7 Japan, round two - the planning begins...
- 8 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 9 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 10 How to handle cash in Japan
- 11 Great Wall hike
- 12 Beautiful Trip To Naran Valley, Pakistan
- 13 Some Practical Advice on Japan from a just-returned first timer
- 14 Kerala, India - 10 day holiday
- 15 Six days in Hong Kong
- 16 Yunnan: Dali, Lijiang & Shangri-la; how many days?
- 17 Which is the best time to travel to North India?
- 18 China, Hong Kong, Tibet
- 19 Storing photos while traveling
- 20 Mt Wutai or Mt Tai
- 21 22 hour overlay in Tokyo, any ideas?
- 22 Seeking suggestions for our Nepal time in November. Do we need masks?
- 23 BANGKOK HOTELS
- 24 Where to stay in Hong Kong and Macau
- 25 S E Asia part of our Round the World Trip