Two retired pals considering Thailand for 5-6 week winter trip (last year's was to India, with help from this forum - if interested, see trip report under my name). Rather than moving around for the whole trip, was thinking about renting a place for a month to get a feel for one city while also using it as a base for short side trips in both N and S Thailand and, possibly, to either Vientiane/LP or Pnomh Penh. First thought was Chiang Mai but now wondering whether BKK might in fact be a better base given its location and good access to air/train connections. Question is this: is it crazy to think of Bangkok as a place comfortably to hang around for a while, explore different neighborhoods, experience "local" life, etc., or is it just too intense & harsh? We are ex-Manhattanites so not intimidated by big cities per se, but recognize that some are easier in which to live, even for a short time, than others. Thanks for any perspectives.
Bangkok for a month: crazy?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 narrow down destinations, Japan 2 weeks in April
- 2 Which to see first - Kyoto or Tokyo?
- 3 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much
- 4 Nepal- recipe?
- 5 vietnam and laos
- 6 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 7 5 Days in Siem Reap
- 8 Thai Vacation: Valuable Last Minute Details - Chapter 1
- 9 Elephants in Northern Thailand
- 10 Bangkok: Shangri-La, Penninsula, Mandarin Oriental
- 11 What did you think of Mumbai?
- 12 Connaught Place
- 13 New Hanoi Hotel opening
- 14 3 weeks in Myanmar-What an adventure!
- 15 10 Day Japan Trip - Need Some Help Choosing!
- 16 My SEA trip - photos update
- 17 Air Asia All You Can Fly
- 18 Busan in two weeks January 2015, coping with the cold.
- 19 Which Section of Great Wall? And add visit to Ming Tombs?
- 20 Travel Report for Laos - Asia’s Most Relaxed Destination
- 21 Best country to visit 1st time in Southeast Asia
- 22 Myanmar Itinerary Please Help?!
- 23 Trip to Borneo to See Orangutans
- 24 Travelling btwn M'asia&Jkt
- 25 Kerala Itinerary - Houseboat and Tree House Questions