Two retired pals considering Thailand for 5-6 week winter trip (last year's was to India, with help from this forum - if interested, see trip report under my name). Rather than moving around for the whole trip, was thinking about renting a place for a month to get a feel for one city while also using it as a base for short side trips in both N and S Thailand and, possibly, to either Vientiane/LP or Pnomh Penh. First thought was Chiang Mai but now wondering whether BKK might in fact be a better base given its location and good access to air/train connections. Question is this: is it crazy to think of Bangkok as a place comfortably to hang around for a while, explore different neighborhoods, experience "local" life, etc., or is it just too intense & harsh? We are ex-Manhattanites so not intimidated by big cities per se, but recognize that some are easier in which to live, even for a short time, than others. Thanks for any perspectives.
Bangkok for a month: crazy?
View all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan: best time to go?
- 2 Craig and Jeane Visit Japan - 2013 Trip Report
- 3 Magical India
- 4 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 5 Craig and Jeane's Japan Photos are Up
- 6 Car hire in India -- Narendra Kumar and hiredriverindia.com
- 7 Travel Insurance
- 8 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 9 Resorts With Private Cabins Instead Of Hotel Rooms?
- 10 Varanasi lodging - to ghat or not to ghat etc etc - help!
- 11 SALAY from BAGAN
- 12 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 13 Visa process for those residing in NY/NJ/CT
- 14 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 15 Next trip: Sri Lanka & Maldives. Need help from the travel gods.
- 16 cell phone in india
- 17 Night cruise to Kyushu from Kansai (Osaka and Kobe)
- 18 Bangkok - Silver Shops
- 19 Thailand-Bangkok-Ko Samui-Chang mai in the begining of May
- 20 Trip Report Kerala: Backwaters & Beach (DEC 2013)
- 21 Plan On Finally Visiting Japan, Looking For Advice...!
- 22 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 23 Any recommendations for drivers in Beijing?
- 24 Questions, questions and more questions for first time trip to Asia
- 25 7 Days in Sri Lanka