Last month I went on a 2 week tour of Mongolia with the above tour group and it was a disaster. Basically, the company hires tour guides and lets the guide pick the gers where we will be staying and the menus. Our guide was a deranged angry man who picked really sleazy places (muddy floors in the gers, excrement on the bathroom floor, showers from the Stalinist era, toilets which were broken and overflowing, etc.). We knew right away that there were kickbacks. While hiking (without the guide) we met a German tour guide who asked where we were staying and when we pointed to our camp, he said his company won't book with them any more due to sanitary conditions, and this wasn't even the worst place we stayed! The guide threatened a man in his 70's, called us stupid and said things like "I know what you people are like. You are all alike". He also left us in the Gobi Desert for 4 hours because he would not call the camp (one hour away) and lose face with the driver. The most amazing part was when we actually met Gana, the supervisor in UB, she acknowledged that they allow the guide to pick the places and do not ever see these places themselves. They don't even know what we/they are paying for. She said that she would pass this on to the US which she did not. I just got call (sales staff, hmmm) from the company and a series of emails telling me how others said the trip was great. That is not what anyone said during the trip. Frankly we were all scared by this guy, particularly as he could be friendly one minute and then flip to psycho the next. Beware of this company as they do not supervise their guides and then just cover their tracks with lies. Horrible people.
Bad experience with Mongol Tours, aka MG Tours
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Safe for solo female travel in Malaysia?
- 2 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 3 How would you do Hiroshima & Miyajima if can only stay 1 night in Miyajima?
- 4 Phillipines: itinerary suggestions
- 5 The City, the River, the Jungle: Our Holiday in Kuching - Borneo
- 6 Palawan, Philippines-TOP island to visit in the world re: El NIdo,Underground River, Tubatahha Reef
- 7 What I like about Mumbai
- 8 Where to stay for 2-3 nights between Tsumago and Hakone April 2015
- 9 Sumatra for 2 weeks in December
- 10 Final Itinerary Kyoto area through Kamakura (skipping Tokyo this trip)
- 11 A hero in Myanmar: A man who does his job
- 12 Itinerary for Second Visit to Japan
- 13 Japan Itinerary Help Please! 4.5-4.17
- 14 Thailand mid-December
- 15 "Naga New Year Festival 2015"
- 16 Indian visa
- 17 Can you HELP with figuring out United Miles and how to get them SF-Bangkok?
- 18 First trip to Japan-17 night Itinerary in Cherry Blossom season
- 19 US citizens applying for India visa--take care which website you use
- 20 One week in Thailand
- 21 Is Asiana Airlines safe?
- 22 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 23 Kyoto: hotel choices, guides,day trip to Nara
- 24 Which is better with kids, Dubai or Singapore ?
- 25 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much