My husband and I have decided that Asia (a bit broad, I know) will be our next big trip. We are are experienced travelers to Europe and have also been to Peru, Central America, and South Africa. DH was stationed in Okinawa in the early 80's so has visited some Asian cities briefly. I've never been and am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the choices - I am interested in everything. We thought we had a trip to China worked out (small group through business opportunity - may have another chance in the future), but that has fallen through for now so my ideas are all over the place right now.
Ideally we'd like to use miles which seems most possible for us going into BKK, NRT or PEK (but I am leaning towards "saving" China for now). So, either Japan OR some SE Asia option, most likely. We will have 10 nights on the ground in early-mid November so seasonality will play a factor although it is a little tricky sorting the weather patterns.I prefer warm to cold, but am ok with "fall" type weather - just don't want to be freezing or soaking wet if I can help it. Will Tokyo/Kyoto be too chilly? Vietnam is of interest but it does not look as if our flight options are ideal and mid-south may be too wet?? Also interested in Luang Prabang, Northern Thailand, Siem Reap/Angkor Wat and even Burma (although, again, maybe better on a 2nd or 3rd trip). Even Bali/Indonesia in play although not as likely for this trip. As you can see, I need to FOCUS!
We love history, architecture, good food, and a mix of city/country. We enjoy experiencing new cultures, hiking, and love scenic beauty. A little shopping goes a long way for us and we generally choose 1 or 2 museums on a trip, but that is rarely our focus. Recent trips have combined Istanbul with Cappadocia and Ephesus/Sirince, and trekking the Inca Trail to M.P. with time in Cusco and the Amazon Basin outside of Puerto Maldonado in Peru. I hope that helps give a feel.
Any suggestions for an amazing first trip to Asia in November for 2 active mid 40's- mid 50's folks? With 10 nights on ground we likely focus on 3 locations (we want some diversity of experience and are willing to schlep a bit if going that far, but don't want to hop around constantly). I am having trouble narrowing my thoughts ...Tokyo/Kyoto with one other stop? Bangkok (mostly for hub but I'd be interested in visiting) with Siem Reap and Luang Prabang, OR Chaing Rai, OR Hanoi or ???? Just Vietnam north to south and don't worry about the miles? BKK with Burma??
I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!!
Asia newbie looking for assistance/ideas for November trip
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Can you bargain tour price?
- 2 Hire Car In Jaipur
- 3 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 4 Haneda to Narita Layover : Need advice
- 5 3 1/2 week trip to Japan advise please!
- 6 4 week solo trip through Myanmar/ Burma
- 7 12 day split between Beijing and Shanghai
- 8 Help ! How bad is the rain in Bangkok early/mid September? Thanks
- 9 April in Bangkok, again!
- 10 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 11 Getting down to details and welcome advice: Tokyo
- 12 Japan night bus
- 13 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 14 Living in Singapore Questions
- 15 Thailand - Koh Samui vs Koh Tao
- 16 Hua Hin or another family friendly beach?
- 17 Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Luang Say, Chiang Rai, Singapore (but no Siem Reap)
- 18 Help..Want to hire a guide/driver for Golden Triangle
- 19 Please help me plan 3.5 weeks in South Korea
- 20 Problems at 12,000'
- 21 GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP
- 22 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 23 osaka to kobe frrom ship to ship
- 24 Spring trip to Tokyo and Kyoto -10 days
- 25 Best Time of Year to Visit Ko Samui/Krabi (Weather)