my friend and I are going to Thailand for a couple of weeks in January. We are going first to Chiang Mai for a few days, and then we want to visit the south for the rest of our trip. The plan is to to go to Railey - Krabi, and then spend 3 nights in Phi Phi and 2 nights in Phuket. However, we are concerned that Phuket will be a tourist trap, too built-up, very crowded and with a crazy nightlife (not that we don't want to go out at night but a half way/not too crazy scene suits us better). However, I know that most tours along the coast depart from there and we are tempted to do a sail tour of the Phang nga bay.
Also, if we end up going to Phuket, where would you suggest staying at? We are looking for rather authentic places not 5 star luxury hotel chains, perhaps with thai decor, clean and with a friendly staff, not too expensive.
In other words should we skip Phuket, or, if it's worth going, where should we stay?
Thank you all.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Travel from Busan to Seoul by bus
- 2 Free Tour Guide in Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam
- 3 Japan Itinerary!
- 4 Kyoto Temples and Imperial Palace - Travel Report
- 5 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 6 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 7 hiking japan sept
- 8 Cooking class/Food Tour/Fish market tour
- 9 Japan rough itinerary
- 10 Bangkok- Sky Bars
- 11 2 weeks in Asia with my adult kids Xmas
- 12 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 13 Japan Itinerary Help Needed
- 14 Bangkok- Dinner Cruises
- 15 shanghai for 4 days
- 16 Budget Servied Apt
- 17 7 hour layover in Beijing
- 18 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 19 TRIP REPORT: Just back from first time to Japan!
- 20 Himeji Castle - luggage storage
- 21 What areas to stay in Singapore & Bali
- 22 Opinions on Osaka? And other burning questions...
- 23 Something about... Malaysia
- 24 China Trip - 2 Cities + Lakes, Rivers, and Rice Terraces!
- 25 Help needed for 1 week trip in Kuala Lumpur with kids