Sorry for this generic question.
I will do a trip to Southeast Asia with a stopover in Dubai. It's a multi-cities tour. I have already planned the route, booked flights & accommodation and do some research with guidebooks and on internet.
--Hong Kong (6 nights on the 3rd week of September)
--Kuala Lumpur (3 nights on the 3rd-4th week of September)
--Angkor (3 nights on the 4th week of September)
--Singapore (5 night on the 1st week of October)
--Dubai (2 nights on the 1st-2nd week of October)
I ask for advice about some aspects I have found mixed (sometimes contradictory) information. Especially, it's advice about what to pack.
1.- Weather. All stops are hot and wet places (Dubai only hot). But it will be very rainy? I'm not sure if there is risk of typhoons in HKG or monsoon in KL and SIN
2.- Etiquette. Related to point 1, where is / is not appropriate wear shorts? I have read that in KL people wearing shorts looks strange. And in Angkor are not recommended because it's a sacred place. Is this true? What about SIN and HKG? And short-sleeve t-shirts?
3.- Health risks. I'm a magnet for mosquitoes. I have seen that there is dengue risk in SIN. And malaria could be present in Angkor. I will be travelling by plane and staying in mid-range city hotels (3-4 stars). In principle, as it's my first visit to all these places, my sightseeing routes will be on the beaten track. What I should take care of? I'm afraid of wearing long-sleeve t-shirts and sweating a lot.
4.- Shopping. Beyond local crafts and other possible souvenirs, I plan to buy a new point-and-shoot camera. I'm travelling from the Eurozone. I have read that SIN could be cheaper than KL for electronics. But some products, as the Apple's ones, have similar prices in HKG as in USA (that is, cheaper than in Europe). So, is it cheaper HKG than SIN? What about Dubai? (Also, in past trips to the USA, I bought Levis 501 jeans. Is it possible to find them at similar prices in SE Asia or they will be as expensive as in Europe? I prefer 'true' Levis...)
Thanks in advance for any comment or advice!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 YAHOO 1888:482:3831 password reset CONTACT YAHOO Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 Driver needed from Heho airport to Kalaw, from Kalaw to Inle lake
- 3 International Bank Accounts. Have you done this?
- 4 Tasting Sri Lanka
- 5 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 6 Bangkok hotels/neighborhoods
- 7 Help with SEAsia itinerary
- 8 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan and Japan
- 9 First time to Japan - tour or independent trip?
- 10 Hotel in Hanoi
- 11 Trekking outside Sapa
- 12 Hoi Ann hotel
- 13 Place to stay Hue
- 14 Three Week Trip to Japan
- 15 Need help filling out my itinerary
- 16 Water Towns near Shanghai
- 17 Four Days in South Korea (Incheon and Seoul) with Baby
- 18 6-8 Weeks in South East Asia
- 19 Go to Pai or not?
- 20 Thai Silk in Bangkok
- 21 The Princess Journeys To Sri Lanka and South India
- 22 Thai Island Itinerary
- 23 Thailand
- 24 Aomori to Hirosaki
- 25 Asian Pillows
Advice on..: Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, how they compare?