I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Advice on China Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 British tourists murdered in Koh Tao
- 2 6 full days in Yagoon
- 3 Some advice on our latest Japan itinerary please?
- 4 A question concerning Sri Lanka's rainfall in Jan.
- 5 13 Hour layover in KL, never visited city before, ideas?
- 6 Myanmar evisa system now working well.
- 7 Malaysian honeymoon
- 8 itinerary sri lanka please help
- 9 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 10 Myanmar itinerary help
- 11 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 12 Thailand and Southeast Asia - Advice for Lone Female
- 13 Hotel suggestions Haeundae beach area Busan
- 14 Japan & Korea - A little of this, a little of that
- 15 Amphawa Floating Market
- 16 Craig and Jeane Depart for Australia and Bali
- 17 Looking for a good travel agent to plan Vietnam Laos and ?? Travel
- 18 Burma? Laos? Cambodia? Vietnam? - I need some help!
- 19 Internal flights in Thailand - buy ASAP or no big deal to wait?
- 20 Following Craig & Jeane's lead, I'm heading out. Thailand & Cambodia again.
- 21 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 22 Krabi island tours
- 23 Phuket/ Krabi Trip
- 24 Mao Lak and Kata/Karon/Surin or Krabi and Kata/Karon/Surin?
- 25 Kyushu Trip May 2013