I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Advice on China Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 2 Japan & Korea - A little of this, a little of that
- 3 Advice re. day trip from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai & Golden Triangle
- 4 Airport pick up from Narita
- 5 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 6 Will the new $100 bill be rejected or accepted in Burma?
- 7 Thailand Flights-Bangkok to Phuket
- 8 help with itinerary!
- 9 Belated 2012 Trip Report - Two Weeks in South Korea
- 10 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 11 Fly into Osaka instead of Tokyo for Koyosan to Nikko trip?
- 12 TRIP REPORT: Bangkok, Angkor, PhiPhi (2 weeks in rainy season)
- 13 Day trip by car from Kyoto?
- 14 Myanmar evisa system now working well.
- 15 Christmas Time in India
- 16 Having doubts with China
- 17 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. Do I need dinner reservations anywhere?
- 18 Phu Quoc, Vietnam
- 19 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 20 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 21 What are the best near places to tour from Panchalingeswar in Odisha
- 22 Next step - drive or be driven - Mae Hong Son loop
- 23 Travelling Plan to Ooty from Bangalore By Train India
- 24 Estimating hours on road - Samcheok to Gyeongju to Daejeon in one day?
- 25 Japiur - 2 days - hotel, restaurant, shopping recommendations needed!