I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Advice on China Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Busan in two weeks January 2015, coping with the cold.
- 2 vietnam and laos
- 3 questions about trip to Mrauk U
- 4 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 5 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much
- 6 Connaught Place
- 7 Bangkok: Shangri-La, Penninsula, Mandarin Oriental
- 8 My SEA trip - photos update
- 9 Bali - seeking feedback on 3-week itinerary
- 10 Which to see first - Kyoto or Tokyo?
- 11 First trip to Vietnam! Help me with my itinerary please!
- 12 6 Hour Layover in Hong Kong what to do
- 13 One night stand in Tokyo: what area/hotel to stay in?
- 14 Travel Report to Siem Reap + Angkor + Northwest Cambodia
- 15 You're Not Going to Japan AGAIN?
- 16 Hotel or Air First for Japan?
- 17 First trip to Japan-17 night Itinerary in Cherry Blossom season
- 18 Elephants in Northern Thailand
- 19 From Ryokan to Buddhist Monastery: Two Weeks in Japan
- 20 Best country to visit 1st time in Southeast Asia
- 21 What did you think of Mumbai?
- 22 1 week in Southeast Asia
- 23 Drink Rec for Sri Lankan Food
- 24 Jewelry shopping in Bangkok
- 25 Great place for a honeymoon destination?