I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Advice on China Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 2 Suggestions for bike tour operators that offer smaller tours (4-5 days)
- 3 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 4 Touristic places in India you wouldn't like to visit
- 5 Ideal itereneray for Nepal
- 6 Tibet and Nepal in 2 weeks?
- 7 India for 2 weeks in December/January
- 8 First trip-India--12 days including to/from and 3 day conference
- 9 India International Tour Companies recommended
- 10 Souvenirs/shopping in Thailand
- 11 Travelling in China at Christmas
- 12 meeting at beijing airport
- 13 One week in Tokyo
- 14 Sri Lanka vacation with 4 year old.... 10 Day Itenerary Review Help...
- 15 Pai in N. Thailand? Worth it?
- 16 Day trip by car from Kyoto?
- 17 Confused about where to stay in Tokyo
- 18 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Sri Lanka Not Bangladesh
- 19 Hotel in Singapore
- 20 Any new BKK hotels or with new mgt. worth checking on?
- 21 Cooking in Chiang Mai & Driving Around Northern Thailand
- 22 Our favorite hotels and restaurants of Bali – Ubud, Amed, Pemuteran
- 23 Bali - January 2015
- 24 Guide/Driver for Mumbai,
- 25 Visa Cambodia