I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Advice on China Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Asia Tour Companies
- 2 Planning for Nov/Dec trip to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, LP, Hanoi via HK
- 3 Inida- scenic places, national parks, where to go?
- 4 thai air Discovery pass question
- 5 Planning trip to India, have a couple of questions
- 6 Spending a Week in Bangalore-Any Ideas?
- 7 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 8 India...Men's shorts OK?
- 9 Kllok Travel for Hong Kong. Anybody use it?
- 10 Car rental recommendation - Kanazawa
- 11 Angkor Wat guide
- 12 Feedback on Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia Itinerary, Please!
- 13 Visa for Burma/Myanmar from US Embassy in DC?
- 14 CAMBODIA to VIETNAM
- 15 Delhi hotel & Pickup
- 16 Travel in India: Some Observations and Impressions
- 17 Tokyo Map Recommendation
- 18 2015 Cherry Blossom Forecast Published
- 19 Restaurant and Shopping Recs in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo
- 20 Samui Travelers, Tell Me it is Safer Than What I'm Reading : (
- 21 Beware of Many China Job & Internship Scams Targeting Tourists
- 22 Driver/Guide recommendation for day trips from Ubud?
- 23 10 days in South Korea?
- 24 Anantara Riverside Bangkok
- 25 Hotels and Hostels in Thailand