I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Advice on China Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Travel to Thailand - Open to suggestions
- 2 New Thailand Visa Rules Effective Aug/29/2014
- 3 Sapphire princess cruise from Singapore
- 4 JR PASS AND ITINERARY
- 5 Places to visit in India in October
- 6 Two questions about Thailand
- 7 50+ travelling solo in Vietnam - where to stay in Hanoi
- 8 Six hours in Seoul, Korea
- 9 china
- 10 Sri Lanka trip Sept 2014
- 11 Please critique my Thailand itinerary
- 12 Souvenirs/shopping in Thailand
- 13 Suggestions for bike tour operators that offer smaller tours (4-5 days)
- 14 Mid Dec trip - Trying to plan alone **Feedback please****
- 15 THAILAND** Redone based on feedback dropped agent trying to do it myself
- 16 New airport in Mumbai
- 17 Advice me to select saving plans in terms of free roaming
- 18 South East Asia
- 19 Driving in Laos
- 20 One week in Tokyo
- 21 Agent to book domestic Nepal flights
- 22 Ideal itereneray for Nepal
- 23 Where to next after watching Nanjing 2014 YOG
- 24 Overnight layover/transit in PEK or Shanghai WITHOUT a visa?
- 25 Myanmar Trip Report: Is It "Too Late" To Go?