I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Advice on China Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 12 day split between Beijing and Shanghai
- 2 Flying from place to place in Asia - here's our plan with questions
- 3 Problems at 12,000'
- 4 GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP
- 5 Biting the India bullet...well, maybe...
- 6 Hotels in Hong Kong
- 7 April in Bangkok, again!
- 8 India for 2 weeks in December/January
- 9 Drinking cheap in Singapore
- 10 Has anyone done a houseboat trip in Kerala
- 11 Bali trip - Places to visit outside of Bali / SE Asia
- 12 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 13 SE Asia July/August - more itinerary advice needed
- 14 what gifts to take to host in Cambodia from the U.D.
- 15 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 16 How safe is Delhi/India
- 17 Malaria
- 18 Vietnam and coffee
- 19 I'm going to Japan!
- 20 Living in Bangalore, India for 12 months. How to handle Malaria?
- 21 Diving in Thailand? Be aware!
- 22 Have you stayed at Outrigger Laguna Beach Resort Phuket?
- 23 Cherry blossom
- 24 Hua Hin or another family friendly beach?
- 25 Trip Report on Recent Journey to Nepal