I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Advice on China Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Indonesia/Java/Sulawesi Travel Advice needed
- 2 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 3 What are good things to buy while in Shanghai China
- 4 Visa Arrived..off to India!!!
- 5 Glovers 2 month India adventure has begun!
- 6 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 7 Japan Itinerary for May
- 8 South Korea 5 days
- 9 Japan -OAT tour
- 10 Thai island escape
- 11 Great trip to Myanmar, Bangkok and Hong Kong
- 12 Questions on Places to See in Burma
- 13 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 14 Transport logistics: Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyushu
- 15 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 16 General question
- 17 Train Travel During Golden Week
- 18 Staying in Hong Kong but want to visit Shenzen
- 19 Purchasing a Nozomi train ticket - Tokyo to Kyoto
- 20 Myanmar (Burma) Trip Report
- 21 Travels in Tumultuous Thailand, languid Luang Prabang & Smiling Siem Reap
- 22 Plans changed: 3 weeks two festivals
- 23 Please share the things you liked in Hanoi and Hoi An
- 24 Bout Phi Phi to Phuket
- 25 Phuket Hotel