I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Kerala- Periyar or Alleppey, which place is more scenic ?
- 2 10 Place You Should Visit in Iran
- 3 What to do in Halong Bay Vietnam in 2 days
- 4 HANOI ROCKS -- Our Spring Break Visit to Vietnam
- 5 Japanese Alps
- 6 One month in Java and Bali
- 7 Visa Service Referral Needed
- 8 Visa Application Form
- 9 Kyushu planning (March-April)
- 10 Surin Beach - Rubbish Reports?
- 11 A couple of Kyoto questions
- 12 Inoculations for Vietnam & Camboda
- 13 Hotel in Langkawi
- 14 Rerouting My Itinerary/April 2016
- 15 How to avoid MSG in China?
- 16 1 week rental in Kyoto (machiya / apartment)
- 17 Itinerary Hong Kong and Japan - 12 full days
- 18 Is Dalat worth a visit?
- 19 Thailand and ? 4 weeks summer 2016
- 20 Sweltering, steamy, sizzingly southern India--It was hot!
- 21 Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly
- 22 Kavey April 2016 Japan Itinerary Planning
- 23 Last Minute Advice for my First Visit to Japan
- 24 Langkawi
- 25 Early planning for yet another "second trip" to Japan