I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Summer travel in Japan
- 2 Cooking class in Rajasthan India.
- 3 Phuket Weather
- 4 Stay in a traditional Japanese inn for the ultimate Japanese hospitality
- 5 New Delhi - What to see?
- 6 Another Vietnam Visa Question
- 7 Cheap Corner Study Tables
- 8 Finally, Smeagol and Muffins Japanese adventure begins.....
- 9 i Lanka Tea Plantaion Stay
- 10 Bangkok for 3 nights, first time
- 11 Dental Work in Bangkok
- 12 Five day itinerary for Bangkok. Ideas?
- 13 Travel to Philippines for Business - Health Concerns
- 14 Information on India Tour Company
- 15 Davao Travel and sights, to do's
- 16 Trekking in India
- 17 Tianzi Mountain in Sichuan
- 18 TMI re Northern Vietnam rural "homestays"?
- 19 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 20 If choice is necessary: Ninh Binh or Ba Be ?
- 21 hanoi eats
- 22 Early planning for yet another "second trip" to Japan
- 23 Universal Studios Japan crowd levels in late November 2015?
- 24 Mid Autumn Festival China - Stay or go?
- 25 Hotels in Kumamoto and Fukuoka