I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 mekong delta vietnam tours which operator to go for?
- 2 Flights from US to Asia: Which airline to book?
- 3 Help with hotel in Saigon - An Lam Saigon River or Hotel des Arts??
- 4 Hang Son Doong Cave in Vietnam
- 5 Need help on itinerary for trip to Vietnam in November
- 6 Vietnam Itinerary -- please critique
- 7 Hakone and Mt Fuji
- 8 Have you stayed at Dormy Inn Expres s Asakusa ?
- 9 Vietnam in February for 8 nights
- 10 Short Trip to Japan & South East Asia
- 11 A great trip in India
- 12 Kyoto to Tokyo on December 31?
- 13 Back to Bangkok this month!
- 14 Burma in Jan, weather questions.
- 15 Onsen ryokan for single near Tokyo
- 16 BKK Street Food Disappearing per BBC
- 17 Rangoon and Lake Inle, how many days?
- 18 AirAsia from DMK (vs. other airlines from BKK) to Siem Reap
- 19 Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it?
- 20 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 21 A new opportunity to interact with elephants in Thailand
- 22 Sulawesi
- 23 Koh Lanra + Bangkok or Siem Reap?
- 24 Direct flight from JFK/Newark to Tokyo
- 25 Day Trip in Bohol - Travel Report