I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 월드카지노や [[ THQ725.COM ]] 월드카지노주소づ
- 2 SE Asia 2014 trip report
- 3 Kyushu in late September
- 4 S E Asia part of our Round the World Trip
- 5 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 6 hanoi eats
- 7 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 8 TMI re Northern Vietnam rural "homestays"?
- 9 Tour Payment Deposit to Castle and King
- 10 Ha Giang or SaPa
- 11 My First India Trip
- 12 Advice on tour company to Sri Lanka
- 13 Chiang Mai Itinerary 3 days - help with organizing?
- 14 Planning a 2-week trip to Thailand in mid-August
- 15 Castle & King tour questions
- 16 5 days Japan
- 17 Bicycle riding required?
- 18 A train ride through Java
- 19 Sri Lanka east cost beaches
- 20 Jogyakarta & - Bali?
- 21 A graduation celebration: Two weeks in Singapore, Java and Bali
- 22 Shanghai to Guilin Weekend Trip-July
- 23 Kathie’s Return to Jogja
- 24 Would This Deter You From Flying On Lao Airlines?
- 25 My Daughter's 13th Birthday Trip to Tokyo!