I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Advice on China Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Bali Honeymoon. Got 3/4 places decided on, struggling on the last...HELP!
- 2 Takayama ideas in April?
- 3 Cost differences between spring and autumn visits to Japan?
- 4 China's Direct Visa - Yet Another Vexation!
- 5 First Time Visit to Japan in November 2015 - Itinerary Review
- 6 Planning Japan Trip #2
- 7 How to access to Kanazawa New Shinkansen Service March
- 8 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 9 First time visiting Japan. Please help
- 10 India: A dream trip meets reality for me
- 11 Osaka shopping
- 12 Luggage Transfer From Hotels
- 13 Penang
- 14 A redhead in Vietnam and Cambodia
- 15 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia
- 16 A week in April; Kyoto and Tokyo?
- 17 Air Asia All You Can Fly
- 18 Madly Dashing to Bali - Hotel Report
- 19 Sri Lanka February 15'
- 20 Restaurants and Things to do at night
- 21 Christmas in Kerala? Birthday in Goa?
- 22 Indonesia Itinerary help
- 23 Ideas for an off beaten path trip in Burma
- 24 Update on recent TR's on Mrauk U
- 25 4-1/2 days in Seoul