I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 2 weeks backpacking in Philippines
- 2 Help traveling in Cambodia
- 3 Honeymoon Indonesia 10 days. Where?
- 4 Are Alexander+Roberts China Tours Any Good?
- 5 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 6 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 7 Taxis at Mumbai airport
- 8 MT. Fuji as a day trip from Tokyo
- 9 Hang Son Doong Cave in Vietnam
- 10 Osaka-Kyoto-Takayama -Kanazawa in 12 days with Kids Doable?
- 11 Confused how to organize Burma itinerary.
- 12 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 13 TRIP REPORT: Osaka to Hiroshima and in-between stops (tsuyu / summer)
- 14 First time to Japan for 19 year old and Mom (me)
- 15 A new opportunity to interact with elephants in Thailand
- 16 What seems to be my final itinerary
- 17 Not Really A Trip Report Kind of Trip Report (Japan 2016)
- 18 Totally unprepared
- 19 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 20 Tokyo Itinerary Help please
- 21 Hanoi - SaPa - Hue
- 22 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 23 An island paradise?
- 24 1946-2007: An Old Soldier Returns to Camp Site in Beppu
- 25 Need some help with my final itinerary