I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Best place to get a SIM card or phone for Japan, India?
- 2 Tigerwalah Experience
- 3 Sweltering, steamy, sizzingly southern India--It was hot!
- 4 Old post about handycraft area in Luang Prabang
- 5 Hotel in Hanoi
- 6 Udon Thani, Thailand - Rustic Pathways high school summer program
- 7 Where best to stay in Penang
- 8 Itinerary Hong Kong and Japan - 12 full days
- 9 Bullet train - which JR stations in Tokyo to go to Kyoto
- 10 Beaches closest to Rajasthan
- 11 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 12 Places to see in Kuala Lumpur
- 13 honeymoon in Thailand-help
- 14 Travel from Tokyo to Kanazawa
- 15 Mumbai Airport Help. Is 2 hours enough time for domestic transfer?
- 16 Beijing tours -- worth it?
- 17 Sien Reap Guide/Accomodation
- 18 KOYA-SAN: Hotel, please
- 19 Private guide and driver for India
- 20 NYT: Local cuisine in Siem Reap
- 21 Kavey April 2016 Japan Itinerary Planning
- 22 2 weeks in Asia with a 2 year old (in February)
- 23 Five Days in Ha Giang - Unforgettable
- 24 vietnam transportation
- 25 Private transfer from Singapore Airport