I am right at the very beginning of the process in planning my first trip to Hong Kong.
International flights are already booked for mid-January 2017 and give us 8 nights in HK. We'll be flying in from Taipei, that flight isn't booked yet so not sure on arrival time.We have an early departure back to London that last day. So 8 nights but 6 full days.
I'd really appreciate some tips on a few things:
* Good websites to get an initial feel for the city (I've been googling and devouring random travel and foodie blog posts but nothing structured), including understanding the areas and the key attractions - for example I always recommend japan-guide.com for those planning a trip to Japan, is there a similar site that you think is the best starting point when it comes to HK?
* Thoughts on which area of the city is best to base ourselves, or two areas if you advise splitting our time. See my notes about us / restrictions / preferences below. If you have any specific hotels to recommend, that's great, but first step for me is to decide on which area(s) I should focus the search on.
* We are planning to visit Macau too. Would you personally advocate a (long) day trip, staying in our HK hotel for all nights, or do you think we should overnight on Macau? I've been advised that Macau has really become a bit of a mini Las Vegas in recent years, but surely that doesn't apply to the entirety of Macau!
* For a food-obsessive, what are the key attractions I should visit? Obviously, I can google for the top general tourist sites, but are there particular produce markets, street food districts, areas focused on production of a local food speciality, or other food-focused attractions I need to investigate?
- British, mid forties, love trips with a food/ drink focus.
- I have arthritis / hip and back problems so can't do a whole tonne of walking / have a preference for a hotel as near to a metro station as possible. The more I can use public transport (or taxis) to travel to sights, the more of my energy I can save for the actual sights themselves. The pain gets worse as day progresses, so I'll take that into account as I loosely plan daily itineraries too.
- Budget, not really set a ceiling yet, as too early in my research, but I guess middling. Will likely splurge more on food than really splurge on hotel.
I appreciate any tips, and of course if there is more information I can provide that would make it easier to give me helpful advice, please let me know!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 2 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 3 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 4 November, March, June... Japan?
- 5 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 6 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 7 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 8 Silk Road Tour - China
- 9 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 10 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 11 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 12 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 13 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 14 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report
- 15 Thailand Visa Concern for Stay Over 30 Days
- 16 Yunnan Province, China, Trip Report: May 26-June 10, 2017
- 17 Car and driver agra to jaipur
- 18 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 19 Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos
- 20 Japan rail pass: 7 or 14 days? Itinerary set
- 21 The best time for hiking in Yakushima
- 22 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
- 23 Renting 4G Wi-Fi Device in Korea
- 24 Kuala Lumpur itinerary
- 25 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?