I am planning a trip to India for about 25 days. I am especially keen on sites with historical significance (I recently read William Dalrymple's City of Djinns and 10 years after my first visit to Delhi, I felt a sudden strong urge to return!), cultural places, architecture, and (minimal) non-mall shopping. I like to take my time with cities instead of squeezing everything into 36/48 hours.
I expect to take a couple night trains, and would appreciate advice on whether it is safe for two females to do this, and which trains - other than Shatabdi Express - are reliable. And which connections will benefit greater from night trains?
Cities I currently have in my itinerary and plan to visit in order:
Agra (day trip)
The hitch is that I am also considering Darjeeling, and am very keen on visiting the Himalayan region, but I can't decide between Ladakh, Shimla or Nepal. Also, I'm not sure how or where to fit it into the itinerary. I thought one of these places would be a lovely way to end the trip.
I will be travelling to Delhi in late January 2013. My combined budget (hotel cost will be shared) is USD1,600 (+/-). If you can provide some hotel recommendations for any of the cities (no more than USD30 per night), that would be very helpful!
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 How to book domestic tickets/hotels in Burma.
- 2 Taiwan itinerary help, only 3 nights/2 days.
- 3 How to plan our itinerary in Japan
- 4 Thailand - Help with Itinerary 15 Days to incl. North & South
- 5 japan itenirary help
- 6 New Hua Hin Marriott Resort & Spa
- 7 Is this crazy?
- 8 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 9 thai baht allowance
- 10 Vietnam - Quy Nhon
- 11 1 Month SE Asia itinerary.
- 12 2 gals and 2 weeks in Bali
- 13 JR Pass or Pay as you Go
- 14 In Seoul for one day
- 15 Japan & WiFi
- 16 Bali airport transportation
- 17 Feedback--First Time in Japan, 3 weeks
- 18 Travel Itenary
- 19 Halong Bay cruise
- 20 Vietnam - 15 day Visa Waiver extended until 30 June 2017
- 21 Struggling with SE Asia Itinerary for November
- 22 Japan 1 day Trek in Winter
- 23 Passport for Indonesia
- 24 Fabric shops in India
- 25 8 Days in Central/South Vietnam