I am planning a trip to India for about 25 days. I am especially keen on sites with historical significance (I recently read William Dalrymple's City of Djinns and 10 years after my first visit to Delhi, I felt a sudden strong urge to return!), cultural places, architecture, and (minimal) non-mall shopping. I like to take my time with cities instead of squeezing everything into 36/48 hours.
I expect to take a couple night trains, and would appreciate advice on whether it is safe for two females to do this, and which trains - other than Shatabdi Express - are reliable. And which connections will benefit greater from night trains?
Cities I currently have in my itinerary and plan to visit in order:
Agra (day trip)
The hitch is that I am also considering Darjeeling, and am very keen on visiting the Himalayan region, but I can't decide between Ladakh, Shimla or Nepal. Also, I'm not sure how or where to fit it into the itinerary. I thought one of these places would be a lovely way to end the trip.
I will be travelling to Delhi in late January 2013. My combined budget (hotel cost will be shared) is USD1,600 (+/-). If you can provide some hotel recommendations for any of the cities (no more than USD30 per night), that would be very helpful!
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Help with itinerary please, 10 days Japan
- 2 5 days in Davao or Osaka
- 3 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 4 First time to India
- 5 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 6 First time getting out of the country
- 7 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 8 Three days in Siem Reap, Two in Phnom Penh
- 9 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 10 Start in Tokyo or Kyoto?
- 11 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 12 Travelling in Japan for 3 weeks - advice.
- 13 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 14 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
- 15 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 16 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 17 Kyoto airbnb/vrbo reco?
- 18 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 19 Surgery at Bumrungrad?
- 20 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 21 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 22 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 23 10 days in Sri Lanka - Travel Report
- 24 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 25 November, March, June... Japan?