I am planning a trip to India for about 25 days. I am especially keen on sites with historical significance (I recently read William Dalrymple's City of Djinns and 10 years after my first visit to Delhi, I felt a sudden strong urge to return!), cultural places, architecture, and (minimal) non-mall shopping. I like to take my time with cities instead of squeezing everything into 36/48 hours.
I expect to take a couple night trains, and would appreciate advice on whether it is safe for two females to do this, and which trains - other than Shatabdi Express - are reliable. And which connections will benefit greater from night trains?
Cities I currently have in my itinerary and plan to visit in order:
Agra (day trip)
The hitch is that I am also considering Darjeeling, and am very keen on visiting the Himalayan region, but I can't decide between Ladakh, Shimla or Nepal. Also, I'm not sure how or where to fit it into the itinerary. I thought one of these places would be a lovely way to end the trip.
I will be travelling to Delhi in late January 2013. My combined budget (hotel cost will be shared) is USD1,600 (+/-). If you can provide some hotel recommendations for any of the cities (no more than USD30 per night), that would be very helpful!
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 India itinerary critique please
- 2 Best location for snorkelling/ beach/ quiet resort/ great Thai food
- 3 Japan/Korea/HK
- 4 Wild China vs Travel Guide China (or the like)
- 5 Need Honeymoon Ideas - Southeast Asia
- 6 Vientiane and ??
- 7 12 days in Vietnam Jan/Feb
- 8 Thai Elephants
- 9 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 10 Bangkok in 3 days - Weekdays
- 11 Cancelling trip to Burma; seeking advice for outskirts of Bangkok
- 12 JFK to BKK sale on Qatar
- 13 Impressions of India
- 14 Solo female traveller Mumbai, safe?
- 15 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 16 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 17 7ish days in Myanmar, advice please (itinerary, ballooning, restaurants)
- 18 A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
- 19 2 weeks in Vietnam
- 20 Mumbai short visit
- 21 which city should i start from first
- 22 Do not miss the variety of Indonesian cultural festivals in 2017
- 23 Cultural Festivals of Indonesia
- 24 Sri Lanka in August
- 25 Camel Safar in Rajastan