I am planning a trip to India for about 25 days. I am especially keen on sites with historical significance (I recently read William Dalrymple's City of Djinns and 10 years after my first visit to Delhi, I felt a sudden strong urge to return!), cultural places, architecture, and (minimal) non-mall shopping. I like to take my time with cities instead of squeezing everything into 36/48 hours.
I expect to take a couple night trains, and would appreciate advice on whether it is safe for two females to do this, and which trains - other than Shatabdi Express - are reliable. And which connections will benefit greater from night trains?
Cities I currently have in my itinerary and plan to visit in order:
Agra (day trip)
The hitch is that I am also considering Darjeeling, and am very keen on visiting the Himalayan region, but I can't decide between Ladakh, Shimla or Nepal. Also, I'm not sure how or where to fit it into the itinerary. I thought one of these places would be a lovely way to end the trip.
I will be travelling to Delhi in late January 2013. My combined budget (hotel cost will be shared) is USD1,600 (+/-). If you can provide some hotel recommendations for any of the cities (no more than USD30 per night), that would be very helpful!
Many thanks in advance!
25 days in India: itinerary, budget & other concerns
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 4 days with Orangutans Balikpapan + Camp Leakey
- 2 Nepal - Earthquake (25 April 2015)
- 3 Vietnam - September 2015
- 4 Vietnam Itinerary- Help!
- 5 Which is the best time to travel to North India?
- 6 Khao Lak
- 7 Nepal
- 8 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 9 Mongolia tour or independently
- 10 Thailand scenic places and must sees
- 11 Bangkok, here I come! Yes, again!!
- 12 Trip Report - 2 perfect days in New Delhi and driver recommendation
- 13 Please comment on Thailand and Cambodia Itinerary
- 14 At the top of Macau Tower!
- 15 Three days in Bangkok
- 16 Kerala, India - 10 day holiday
- 17 Tiger Temple to lose all its tiger population soon
- 18 Annapurna and Myanmar Circuits in May
- 19 What is Most Interesting Taipei Area for First Timers?
- 20 Photos from India!
- 21 Japan, round two - the planning begins...
- 22 Yunnan: Dali, Lijiang & Shangri-la; how many days?
- 23 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 24 Myanmar River Cruises
- 25 Siam Niramit show and dinner-Go or no go?