Hello fellow travelers,
Discounting the two days of international travel time required to get to Asia from California, I will have 24 days to spread between the three aforementioned countries. I was thinking of starting in Northern Vietnam and doing Halong Bay, Hue, and Hanoi (8 days altogether). Am I missing anything?? My friend and I have heard incredible things about Sapa and the trekking, so we definitely want to do some of that.
From N. Vietnam, I think the next most logical country to visit is Burma. I know very little about it (good job tyrannical regime!) but think that 8 days should be enough (count 17 days used for intra-country travel at this point). Hiking/homestays are on our agenda.
After Burma and the trekking in N. Vietnam, we thought a week on the beaches of Malaysia would be a nice way to end the trip. We think Malaysia over Southern Thailand because although I like to party, my travel partner does not, and we figure Malaysia doesn't have the reputation that Thailand does for this sort of extracurricular activity. That said, we DEFINITELY want to be able to meet other travelers, go dancing, drinking, and eating well. Should we stick with Malaysia or nix it and do Thailand? In the end we'll have between 7-8 days to spend lying on beaches and doing some leisurely exploring.
So please, if you have some insights into any of the following, I would love to hear from you:
1. Itinerary (reasonable and realistic) for N. Vietnam for two young women who love hiking and exploring new cultures; love nature, unique experiences
2. (Ditto to above for Burma)
3. Malaysia or Thailand for 7-8 days of beach/beauty/culture/fun/drinking/dancing/exploring/travelers
Overall feedback would be much appreciated as well.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Any tips to Dhaka?
- 2 My visit to Lao
- 3 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 4 My visit to Thailand
- 5 proposed itinerary for 14 nights Feb. 2016
- 6 5 weeks in Japan
- 7 Gutted!
- 8 Vietnam and Cambodia opinions needed!
- 9 Best place to replenish my Japanese currency?
- 10 Family Trip to Japan
- 11 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 12 India Trip Three - Am I crazy?
- 13 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 14 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 15 Question about jungles (sumatra, borneo) and forest fires
- 16 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 17 Kavey April 2016 Japan Itinerary Planning
- 18 Please comment on our 19 day itinerary for March 2016
- 19 New Member
- 20 Restaurants in Chennai, Kanchipurum and Pondicherry
- 21 Tashi Delek: trip report from Bhutan 2015
- 22 Hong Kong Trip Report November 2015
- 23 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 24 3 weeks backpacking in Vietnam
- 25 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
Hello fellow travelers,