I have been doing some research about our potential itinerary and would really appreciate some feedback.
My boyfriend and I will be in Japan for the first time from 19 May to 9 June (22 days) and would like to get an all-round experience of Japan. We are both pretty active and enjoy a variety of things, culture, shopping, food, night life, museums, exercise/ walks, spas etc... We have chosen to spend quite a bit of time in Tokyo as my boyfriend really wants to get the vibe of the city and for the other time Kyoto and day trips/ overnight stays in other places that I have read and people rave about. We also trying to time our travel to stay in the bigger cities on the weekend. Regards our first go at the itinerary I have a couple of questions:
1. Would you recommend we drop/ replace any of the places on the list
2. Are the days/ nights enough in the places chosen
3. Is going to Nikko realistic
4. When and how long for would you recommend we buy the JR pass for / when to activate
5. Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
Our proposed itinerary:
1 19-May Sunday Tokyo (arrive early morning)
2 20-May Monday Day Trip: Asakusa
3 21-May Tuesday Day Trip: Kamakura (would be interesting to see a coastal/ fishing village)
4 22-May Wednesday Tokyo
5 23-May Thursday Tokyo
6 24-May Friday Tokyo to Hakone (for the hot springs, stay in a ryokan and some nature)
7 25-May Saturday Hakone to Kyoto
8 26-May Sunday Kyoto
9 27-May Monday Kyoto
10 28-May Tuesday Kyoto
11 29-May Wednesday Kyoto
12 30-May Thursday Kyoto to Nara
13 31-May Friday Nara to Osaka
14 1-Jun Saturday Osaka
15 2-Jun Sunday Day Trip: Himeji Castle
16 3-Jun Monday Osaka (maybe do a shopping trip to the designer outlet, although don't know how affordable it will be!)
17 4-Jun Tuesday Osaka to Takayama (for the crafts markets)
18 5-Jun Wednesday Takayama to Nikko (for the nature, waterfalls)
19 6-Jun Thursday Nikko to Tokyo
20 7-Jun Friday Tokyo
21 8-Jun Saturday Tokyo
22 9-Jun Sunday Tokyo
Thank you so much in advance
22 Day Japan itinerary and rail pass suggestions
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Cost differences between spring and autumn visits to Japan?
- 2 Osaka shopping
- 3 Luggage Transfer From Hotels
- 4 Penang
- 5 A redhead in Vietnam and Cambodia
- 6 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia
- 7 A week in April; Kyoto and Tokyo?
- 8 Air Asia All You Can Fly
- 9 China's Direct Visa - Yet Another Vexation!
- 10 Madly Dashing to Bali - Hotel Report
- 11 Sri Lanka February 15'
- 12 India: A dream trip meets reality for me
- 13 Bali Honeymoon. Got 3/4 places decided on, struggling on the last...HELP!
- 14 Restaurants and Things to do at night
- 15 First Time Visit to Japan in November 2015 - Itinerary Review
- 16 Planning Japan Trip #2
- 17 Takayama ideas in April?
- 18 Christmas in Kerala? Birthday in Goa?
- 19 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 20 Indonesia Itinerary help
- 21 Ideas for an off beaten path trip in Burma
- 22 First time visiting Japan. Please help
- 23 Update on recent TR's on Mrauk U
- 24 4-1/2 days in Seoul
- 25 3 Weeks in Japan - Please critique my itineary