I have been doing some research about our potential itinerary and would really appreciate some feedback.
My boyfriend and I will be in Japan for the first time from 19 May to 9 June (22 days) and would like to get an all-round experience of Japan. We are both pretty active and enjoy a variety of things, culture, shopping, food, night life, museums, exercise/ walks, spas etc... We have chosen to spend quite a bit of time in Tokyo as my boyfriend really wants to get the vibe of the city and for the other time Kyoto and day trips/ overnight stays in other places that I have read and people rave about. We also trying to time our travel to stay in the bigger cities on the weekend. Regards our first go at the itinerary I have a couple of questions:
1. Would you recommend we drop/ replace any of the places on the list
2. Are the days/ nights enough in the places chosen
3. Is going to Nikko realistic
4. When and how long for would you recommend we buy the JR pass for / when to activate
5. Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
Our proposed itinerary:
1 19-May Sunday Tokyo (arrive early morning)
2 20-May Monday Day Trip: Asakusa
3 21-May Tuesday Day Trip: Kamakura (would be interesting to see a coastal/ fishing village)
4 22-May Wednesday Tokyo
5 23-May Thursday Tokyo
6 24-May Friday Tokyo to Hakone (for the hot springs, stay in a ryokan and some nature)
7 25-May Saturday Hakone to Kyoto
8 26-May Sunday Kyoto
9 27-May Monday Kyoto
10 28-May Tuesday Kyoto
11 29-May Wednesday Kyoto
12 30-May Thursday Kyoto to Nara
13 31-May Friday Nara to Osaka
14 1-Jun Saturday Osaka
15 2-Jun Sunday Day Trip: Himeji Castle
16 3-Jun Monday Osaka (maybe do a shopping trip to the designer outlet, although don't know how affordable it will be!)
17 4-Jun Tuesday Osaka to Takayama (for the crafts markets)
18 5-Jun Wednesday Takayama to Nikko (for the nature, waterfalls)
19 6-Jun Thursday Nikko to Tokyo
20 7-Jun Friday Tokyo
21 8-Jun Saturday Tokyo
22 9-Jun Sunday Tokyo
Thank you so much in advance
22 Day Japan itinerary and rail pass suggestions
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 What is Most Interesting Taipei Area for First Timers?
- 2 Nepal - Earthquake (25 April 2015)
- 3 Siam Niramit show and dinner-Go or no go?
- 4 Photos from India!
- 5 Bangkok, here I come! Yes, again!!
- 6 Leaving Thursday for Bangkok/Phuket
- 7 Japan, round two - the planning begins...
- 8 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 9 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 10 How to handle cash in Japan
- 11 Great Wall hike
- 12 Beautiful Trip To Naran Valley, Pakistan
- 13 Some Practical Advice on Japan from a just-returned first timer
- 14 Kerala, India - 10 day holiday
- 15 Six days in Hong Kong
- 16 Yunnan: Dali, Lijiang & Shangri-la; how many days?
- 17 Which is the best time to travel to North India?
- 18 China, Hong Kong, Tibet
- 19 Storing photos while traveling
- 20 Mt Wutai or Mt Tai
- 21 22 hour overlay in Tokyo, any ideas?
- 22 Seeking suggestions for our Nepal time in November. Do we need masks?
- 23 BANGKOK HOTELS
- 24 Where to stay in Hong Kong and Macau
- 25 S E Asia part of our Round the World Trip