I have been doing some research about our potential itinerary and would really appreciate some feedback.
My boyfriend and I will be in Japan for the first time from 19 May to 9 June (22 days) and would like to get an all-round experience of Japan. We are both pretty active and enjoy a variety of things, culture, shopping, food, night life, museums, exercise/ walks, spas etc... We have chosen to spend quite a bit of time in Tokyo as my boyfriend really wants to get the vibe of the city and for the other time Kyoto and day trips/ overnight stays in other places that I have read and people rave about. We also trying to time our travel to stay in the bigger cities on the weekend. Regards our first go at the itinerary I have a couple of questions:
1. Would you recommend we drop/ replace any of the places on the list
2. Are the days/ nights enough in the places chosen
3. Is going to Nikko realistic
4. When and how long for would you recommend we buy the JR pass for / when to activate
5. Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
Our proposed itinerary:
1 19-May Sunday Tokyo (arrive early morning)
2 20-May Monday Day Trip: Asakusa
3 21-May Tuesday Day Trip: Kamakura (would be interesting to see a coastal/ fishing village)
4 22-May Wednesday Tokyo
5 23-May Thursday Tokyo
6 24-May Friday Tokyo to Hakone (for the hot springs, stay in a ryokan and some nature)
7 25-May Saturday Hakone to Kyoto
8 26-May Sunday Kyoto
9 27-May Monday Kyoto
10 28-May Tuesday Kyoto
11 29-May Wednesday Kyoto
12 30-May Thursday Kyoto to Nara
13 31-May Friday Nara to Osaka
14 1-Jun Saturday Osaka
15 2-Jun Sunday Day Trip: Himeji Castle
16 3-Jun Monday Osaka (maybe do a shopping trip to the designer outlet, although don't know how affordable it will be!)
17 4-Jun Tuesday Osaka to Takayama (for the crafts markets)
18 5-Jun Wednesday Takayama to Nikko (for the nature, waterfalls)
19 6-Jun Thursday Nikko to Tokyo
20 7-Jun Friday Tokyo
21 8-Jun Saturday Tokyo
22 9-Jun Sunday Tokyo
Thank you so much in advance
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 5 weeks in Japan
- 2 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 3 10hr Layover in Bangkok - What to do?
- 4 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 5 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 6 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 7 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 8 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 9 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 10 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 11 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95
- 12 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 13 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 14 Lodge in Borneo
- 15 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 16 China and Japan help
- 17 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 18 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 19 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 20 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 21 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 22 Requesting Passport Number
- 23 Kompong Kleang or Kompong Phluk?
- 24 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 25 Phu Quoc