I have been doing some research about our potential itinerary and would really appreciate some feedback.
My boyfriend and I will be in Japan for the first time from 19 May to 9 June (22 days) and would like to get an all-round experience of Japan. We are both pretty active and enjoy a variety of things, culture, shopping, food, night life, museums, exercise/ walks, spas etc... We have chosen to spend quite a bit of time in Tokyo as my boyfriend really wants to get the vibe of the city and for the other time Kyoto and day trips/ overnight stays in other places that I have read and people rave about. We also trying to time our travel to stay in the bigger cities on the weekend. Regards our first go at the itinerary I have a couple of questions:
1. Would you recommend we drop/ replace any of the places on the list
2. Are the days/ nights enough in the places chosen
3. Is going to Nikko realistic
4. When and how long for would you recommend we buy the JR pass for / when to activate
5. Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
Our proposed itinerary:
1 19-May Sunday Tokyo (arrive early morning)
2 20-May Monday Day Trip: Asakusa
3 21-May Tuesday Day Trip: Kamakura (would be interesting to see a coastal/ fishing village)
4 22-May Wednesday Tokyo
5 23-May Thursday Tokyo
6 24-May Friday Tokyo to Hakone (for the hot springs, stay in a ryokan and some nature)
7 25-May Saturday Hakone to Kyoto
8 26-May Sunday Kyoto
9 27-May Monday Kyoto
10 28-May Tuesday Kyoto
11 29-May Wednesday Kyoto
12 30-May Thursday Kyoto to Nara
13 31-May Friday Nara to Osaka
14 1-Jun Saturday Osaka
15 2-Jun Sunday Day Trip: Himeji Castle
16 3-Jun Monday Osaka (maybe do a shopping trip to the designer outlet, although don't know how affordable it will be!)
17 4-Jun Tuesday Osaka to Takayama (for the crafts markets)
18 5-Jun Wednesday Takayama to Nikko (for the nature, waterfalls)
19 6-Jun Thursday Nikko to Tokyo
20 7-Jun Friday Tokyo
21 8-Jun Saturday Tokyo
22 9-Jun Sunday Tokyo
Thank you so much in advance
22 Day Japan itinerary and rail pass suggestions
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Knockoff Designer bags in Vietnam?
- 2 flight details from Chicago area to BKK
- 3 Food tours in HCMC/Saigon?
- 4 Chiang Mai OR Luang Prabang
- 5 Vacay to Thailand end of December-January 2014
- 6 Affordable accommodation in Yangon near Sule Pagoda
- 7 Bangkok - Side trip to Ayutthaya
- 8 Honeymoon in december 2014
- 9 3 days in Teheran
- 10 Destination Bangkok, again
- 11 Trip Report and Diary - Tokyo in 7 Days
- 12 Weekend Market and Or Tor Kor-Bangkok
- 13 Bangkok - Weekend train excursion to Kanchanaburi and/or Nam Tok
- 14 Travel during China national week?
- 15 Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai -- HOW?
- 16 15 Days in Japan, Itinerary Help Please
- 17 Honeymoon in Nha Trang
- 18 Trip report/blog - 10 days in Tokyo and Kyoto
- 19 Favorite travel apps?
- 20 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 21 Selecting A Guide for Bhutan (Bridge To Bhutan)
- 22 Foreign currency
- 23 how to book a train from -DaNang to Hue, Vietnam
- 24 Airfare from Bali to Ko Samui
- 25 Honeymoon In sept