20 things to think about when visiting Thailand.
Here are 20 things to think about when visiting Thailand…
1. Bring a cell phone “unblocked” and buy a Thai SIM card for it on arrival, they’re cheap (apprx. 50 baht) and include some credit already on them - e.g. - International calls to Oz/UK are about 5 - 8baht per min…Phones are cheap too – and unblocked
2. Money - Bring ATM and/or credit cards. - check fees and tell your bank your are going abroad. - Take Travellers cheques only as back-up. Bring very little cash (Baht) – you tend to get a better rate of exchange here than any home country. You can change money on arriving at the airport...(keep some cash in reserve in case of flight delays/diversions etc)
3. Booking – there is usually no need to book rooms before you come as there is plenty of cheap accommodation. Exceptions would be in high season if you want a particular place and maybe for your first one or two nights just to get orientated.
4. Bring very few clothes – they are cheap here and you’ll only bring stuff that is too warm anyway.
5. Very little luggage – this makes you more mobile if you need to be and less vulnerable to taxi touts and undesirable men….Before you go home you can buy any extra luggage (cheap) to take souvenirs etc.
6. Internet access is everywhere – even on the beach… you can get all your photos copied to CD - If you have a lap-top you can connect it (broadband even wi-fi) at most cafes.
7. Food - Thai food is very unlikely to give you food poisoning but can contain more chillies than you ever thought possible….Street food is usually safe (and delicious!), check for numbers of customers and general looks of the stall. Western (“farang”) food is much more likely to give you food poisoning – fridges are not part of Thai cooking lore yet…beware of Western Fast Food outlets and hotel buffets - food that has been out for over an hour or so. Thailand is not used to fridges/chill-serve etc.
8. Always carry a pack of tissues - they don’t supply free tissues (if there is a vending machine at all!) – learn to use a “bum-gun” !!
9. Drink bottled water - not tap water. Even consider not brushing your teeth with tap water. Ice is usually safe in drinks and for anything else.
10. Use common safety sense – it is easy to relax too much here…when it comes to petty crime the rate is certainly lower than in places like the US/Europe etc…but every country has its share of con-men and psychopaths…..beware of fellow travellers!
11. Don’t be afraid to go to Pattaya – it is the sex capital of Thailand but they don’t jump out at single women and couples and it has good, cheap hotels, shopping and food. Not a bad place to start off for Koh Chang, Koh Samet or Cambodia.
12. Bring an international driving licence – although most national ones are accepted by motorbike and car hire companies and anyone else who wants to hire you something….you may not be insured without an IDL! In Thailand they drive on the left - cars are Right-hand-drive. However driving is really only for the experienced. Be especially careful on a motorbike - Samui has the highest accident rate in Thailand.
13. Public transport is cheap. Planes, Trains, Buses, Minibuses, Taxis, from town to town. If you’re in a minibus or taxi, tell the driver you’ll tip him if he keeps the speed below 90/100 kmph! National speed limit is 90kph (120 on motorways)
14. Around Bkk try to use meter taxis with the meter on...it’ll be cheaper than the tuk-tuks. Take a tuk-tuk once for the experience then use meter taxis. Don’t let the drivers take you out of your way...they’ll try to take you to some (relative’s) store where they get commission.
15. Medical - Check out a few “jabs & medications” - Hep “A” & “B” require a long course before leaving and are a pretty good idea – don’t bother with the malaria ones – too heavy! You can get tetanus or rabies here if you’re bitten by a dog - it’s cheap. Most medicines (including antibiotics) can be bought over the counter without prescription and are cheap. A pharmacist will give you what he considers right for your symptoms but you can just as easily see a doctor at a local clinic for a couple of hundred baht. They usually speak a little English.
16. Check up on Thai manners and customs – this will earn you more respect from the locals. - Keep up some dress sense – how you dress in Thailand is quite important. Don’t go topless without checking out if it’s acceptable where you are – usually it’s frowned upon. You’ll notice that Thai women (even sex workers) are very modest in public –they usually swim fully clothed. Table manners – Thais tend to eat from communal dishes in the centre of the table – don’t pour everything onto your own plate!
17. Don’t knock the royal family – even in jest.
18. Body language - Don’t point your feet at people – the body is seen as hierarchical and the feet are the lowest part and should not be waved about (this is like a “fingers up” sign. Before entering someone’s home you must take off your shoes; this also applies to some shops and businesses. - Never take a shoe off and wave it at someone – this could lead to violence.
On the other hand it is impolite to touch people on the head.
19. It’s not necessary to “Wai” people - the Thai greeting - as you’ll probably get it wrong. If they Wai you, you might try a wai back.
20. Remember, this is the Land of Smiles and you will find everything goes much better when you have a smile on your face - whatever the situation….
NB – In the current climate of political unrest the wearing of yellow or red shirts in some circumstances could be construed as showing support for either of the main political factions. – consulate your own embassy for latest advice on visiting Thailand
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 릴게임예시 ◐ 도메인 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 2 온라인바다이야기 ※연결 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 3 바다낚시 ≪ 접속주소 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 4 성인신천지 ■■접_속: vtk19.컴 ■■
- 5 황금성게임 ▣접속주소 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 6 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 7 온라인릴 ≪접속주소 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 8 온라인릴게임 ▼ 접속 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 9 릴게임총판 ▣ 홈피:【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 10 릴게임사이트 ▶ 도메인 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 11 인터넷신천지 ▣접속주소 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 12 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 13 신천지 카지노/바카라 ▣ 홈피:【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 14 바둑이 ▣접속주소 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 15 포커 ● 연결 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 16 신천지게임예시 ※연결 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 17 50th Anniversary trip
- 18 오션파라다이스릴게임 ☞◇접 속 : vtk19.컴 ☞◇
- 19 오션릴게임 ▣☆접 속 : vtk19.컴 ▣☆
- 20 세븐포커 ▶ 홈피:【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 21 오션무료게임 ▼ 접속 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
- 22 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 23 ATMs in Japan
- 24 "necessities" for India
- 25 오션파라다이스 ※연결 :【＂P T S 2 9.컴＂】
20 things to think about when visiting Thailand.