Before I embark on my trip report proper, I ought, as it were, to set the scene. DH and I first came up with the idea of going to Sri Lanka about 25 years ago, when adventurous neighbours came back with their photos of its fabulous beaches, birds and other wonderful attractions, but the civil war started, we went to the Gambia instead, and 9 months later our daughter arrived, so trips to far-flung places were put on hold.
Fast forward 25 years, in March 2012 we were listening to the cricket commentary from Sri Lanka, realised that the world T20 tournament was due to take place there in the autumn, and decided that we wanted to go, combining a holiday with a bit of the cricket. I set about planning via some guide books and this board, and after much vacillation, came up with the following itinerary:
3 nights in Dambulla at the Heritage Hotel Kandalama [www.heritancehotels.com]- thank you so much Kathie for steering us there.
2 nights in Kandy at the Theva Residence [www.theva.lk]
3 nights just outside Nurewa Eliya at the Warwick Gardens [www.jetwinghotels.com/jetwingwarwickgardens]
2 nights at Yala at Chaaya Wild [www.chaayahotels.com]
2 nights near Galle at the Thambapanni Residence at Unawatuna [in fact we stayed in Galle at the Fort Printer, for which story read on]
2 nights in Colombo at the Galle Face [www.gallefacehotel.com]
In retrospect I’d have liked to have had an extra day at Dambulla just to unwind and see a bit more of the area [never did get to the caves, which gives us an excuse to go back] and an extra day in Galle, because we loved it so much. And the 4 hour drive up from the airport to Dambulla was quite an ordeal, particularly after the 11 hour flight and the 6 hour drive from Cornwall to Heathrow which had preceded it. Otherwise the itinerary [booked through Boutique Sri Lanka aka BSL] worked pretty well, and the arrangements certainly ran like clockwork, with all the hotels expecting us as per the reservations [always a slight worry!].
And before I start on the trip report proper I need to say a big thank you to Kathie, Crellston, Thursdays, and Mohammed for their help in planning this, and a big apology to anyone I’ve missed out. Your trip reports and general advice proved invaluable and where things went wrong, or could have been better, it’s because I should have taken more notice of what you said, particularly about the roads and driving conditions. You tried to tell me what it was like before we went, but I just didn’t believe you. Sorry, that’s being unfair to me - I couldn’t believe you. It was not within my comprehension that it could take 3 hours to do 82 kms on proper roads. Well - it is now.
After which introduction, dear reader, please come with me to the tropical island of Serendip, also known as Sri Lanka!
2 weeks in Sri Lanka - not nearly long enough!
- 1 Fresh Hearts and Egg Tarts: Our Silver Jubilee in Hong Kong & Macau
- 2 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 3 Shopping for hotels for Feb.
- 4 Visiting the Huangshan Area Without Climbing the Mountain
- 5 clean,reasonable priced lodging in Orchha, Bodghaya, Khajuraho, Varanasi
- 6 Input on staying the Banyan Tree or Trisara while in Phuket?
- 7 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 8 Next trip: Sri Lanka & Maldives. Need help from the travel gods.
- 9 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 10 New Year's Week in Tokyo- Advice Please!!
- 11 Andaman coast visit - is Phuket worth visiting?
- 12 Anyone in Bangkok
- 13 United Canceling NRT-BKK Flight?
- 14 Thai Visa Options for longer/ multiple stays
- 15 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 16 Draft itinerary - appreciate some input
- 17 Finding a Small electric Kettle in BKK
- 18 Plan On Finally Visiting Japan, Looking For Advice...!
- 19 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 20 Travel Insurance
- 21 South East Asia
- 22 Seoul, Korea Accommodation / Restaurants
- 23 Buy India Sim card there or here?
- 24 Varanasi lodging - to ghat or not to ghat etc etc - help!
- 25 Just returned from an amazing trip to India!