Appreciate if you could demystify some of the questions I have regarding travel to VN.
1) Visa. Many people here mentioned they got the "visa on arrival". Why can't you get it through the VN embassy in the US? More hassle, more expensive? The stamping fee has gone up in 2013 -- $45. I'd rather get it in advance so no waste of time standing in line at the airport. Will be flying into HCM, which sounds like the wait would be longer than Hanoi. Please clarify the visa issue for me.
2) Internal VN flights. Do you buy your internal flights in VN or in the US? Is it a lot cheaper in VN? You buy it from an agent? Anyone you recommend? Can we ask them via email in advance and hten pay them once we get to HCM?
3) How do you stay healthy? I know VN cuisine has a lot of raw salad and veggies, and from your trip reports, people seemed to be enjoying the food with abandon. Is it true or you actualy avoided raw veggies? Or had some way to wash them? Or only went to some recommended restaurants that are known to be safe?
4) Malaria Pill and Vaccine. Did you take malaria pills? Required for Sapa or the Mekong Delta? Other places I go to are the usual cities. Any special vaccines?
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and knowledge!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Flower Arranging in Kyoto
- 2 Early planning for yet another "second trip" to Japan
- 3 Help with our time in Mandalay, please
- 4 NY Times article on Sulawesi and seeing the Torajan death rituals
- 5 March Trip - Where to Go?
- 6 Finally, Smeagol and Muffins Japanese adventure begins.....
- 7 Visa for India
- 8 Bangkok to Chiang Mai, train or fly?
- 9 Qatar airlines to mumbai
- 10 Is it possible to do the Southeast Asian mainland on a bus?
- 11 INDIA - AMAZING PRIVATE TRIP IN MAY 2014
- 12 Hotel for two night stop over in Singapore
- 13 Please help us find our MISSING friend
- 14 i Lanka Tea Plantaion Stay
- 15 Is there a train from Laem Chabong to Bangkok
- 16 Buying jewelry in India
- 17 Jaipur's Gem Palace
- 18 Chiang Mai
- 19 Phuket Weather
- 20 hanoi eats
- 21 Castle & King tour operator review
- 22 If choice is necessary: Ninh Binh or Ba Be ?
- 23 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 24 TMI re Northern Vietnam rural "homestays"?
- 25 Five day itinerary for Bangkok. Ideas?