My friend and I are backpacking around Sri Lanka from 4 June to 22 June!
I've been doing a lot of research and have started putting together a rough itinerary - and I was hoping to get some feedback. From the research I've done, I'm most looking forward to the Hills area, but the south/west coast also looks beautiful, and the cultural triangle cant be missed. I'm mostly concerned about the weather, but I've numbered a few questions/concerns that I have at the moment! Apologies if this is a bit wordy, but any advice or answers to my questions below would be greatly appreciated!
Day 1 Colombo
Day 2 Bentota *1
Day 3 Galle/Unawatuna/Hikka
Day 4 Galle/Unawatuna/Hikka
Day 5 Mirissa/Matara/Talalla/Weligama
Day 6 Mirissa/Matara/Talalla/Weligama *2
Day 7 Tissamaharama/Kataragama/Yala *3
Day 8 Yala National Park
Day 9 Udawalawe
Day 10 Ella
Day 11 Nuwara Eliya
Day 12 World's End
Day 13 Hatton/Dalhousie/Maskeliya/Adams Peak
Day 14 Kitugala Rafting /Adams Peak /Hatton/Dalhousie/Maskeliya *4
Day 15 Kandy
Day 16 Polonnaruwa
Day 17 Sigiriya/Ritigula (Poson Poya Fest) *5
Day 18 Anuradhupura
Day 19 Colombo/Flight
*1) From what I've read, Bentota sounds like the place with some of the best beaches - However, I'm worried about weather! Can anyone tell me what I could expect for weather? If west coast weather is expected to be poor this could allow for more time in the Hills.
*2) Is 2 nights in Mirissa/Matara/Talalla/Weligama too much? Also concerned about the weather in these areas again - any difference with these southern beaches?
*3) I'm not exactly sure how to do the safaris, specifically where and when to spend the night? I'm assuming safaris leave early in the morning, meaning we'd spend the night before the safari in Tissamaharama/Kataragama/Yala. What about after the safari - do we spend the night there again? Or will we have time to make our way up to Udawalawe the same day?
*4) Reading about all these hill towns, it seems as if they all have something unique to offer, and they're really what I'm looking forward to the most. I plan on taking the train between these destinations, and I want to raft in Kitugala, climb Adam's Peak, hike Knuckle's Range, visit tea farms, etc. I'm concerned about time here, and understand I might have to miss a thing or two - but I also dont want to be really rushed. Are there any towns/activities in the hills that I've mentioned that would be worth a miss? Would it be wise to cut some time out of the coast or northern ruins to make more time for the hills?
*5) How are the northern ruins best done? Is it best to base myself in one place for 3 nights, or to move around between ruins? Where should we go for Poson Poya??! Excited that we will be there for the festival, and want to make the most of it (I've also heard there are definitely places to avoid during Poson)!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again and happy travels.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 LGBT tour service and personal tour guide in Taiwan!
- 2 Twin rooms in Japan
- 3 sri lanka- tips required
- 4 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 5 4 weeks trip to South East Asia
- 6 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 7 Central Asia: Itinerary Advice
- 8 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 9 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 10 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 11 Impressions of India
- 12 Sri Lanka Association looking for volunteer
- 13 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 14 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 15 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 16 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 17 Go ahead...Eat the street food and buffets!
- 18 Christmas in the Alps
- 19 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 20 Is the Bennesse Naoshima Worth It?
- 21 Yercaud – Cheapest Getaway from Chennai
- 22 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 23 Laos or Kerala?
- 24 Yogyakarta, Java. Indonesian Cuisine! - Travel Report
- 25 Bali & Singapore in October