My cousin and I (mid-late 20's, female) are traveling to japan at the end of March for 2 weeks. We are starting and finishing the trip in Tokyo(about 4 days), we already have our accommodations for tokyo covered. We booked accomadtions for Kyoto for in the middle/end of the trip for 4 days. I am coming to you for help/insight/advice on what to do in between Tokyo and Kyoto and what to do for a few days after Kyoto. We know we want to stay in a temple on Koyasen and have done a ton of research of small towns such as: Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa, Nara. Also, a little bit about us- we are both very into seeing the authentic culture rather than overly touristy things, we are traveling on a budget(that being said we don't mind spending money on going to see shows or must-see things even if they are more expensive- we just want to spend little on where we stay, as we probably won't be there long). We both work with antiques and jewelry for living, so we are creative types who would love to see some antique shops or outdoor markets(looked up some although it seems none will be happening when we are there)?
What towns would you recommend, and which would you pass? We are both fast moving people, meaning we get bored staying in one place too long - and won't want to spend too much time walking around museums. Also, I wanted to get some advice on finding an onsen, I have three small-medium size tattoos and I understand this is not widely accepted in the onsen. I have read other forums on this topic and was just curious if there are any that are more geared towards travelers and may allow them(eek- pains me to go somewhere touristy over authentic but if this is the only way!)
We have about 4 days in between Tokyo and Kyoto- we are open to anything. Are there any smaller islands nearby that are easily accessible and relatively affordable to get to?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Difference in staying at Dambulla or Habarana
- 2 Bali in Feb. for nature & unique cultural perspectives
- 3 Update on cash situation in India for imminent visitors
- 4 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 5 Where to stay in Tokyo
- 6 Advice on Hainan Island?
- 7 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 8 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 9 3.5 Weeks in Japan (First-time) Itinerary Help
- 10 Indonesia travel agent
- 11 Trip Report: First time in Thailand and Cambodia
- 12 A beach of choice on Samui
- 13 Krabi--Ko Tao--Ko Samui
- 14 Bangkok Taxis
- 15 3 weeks - first time SEA
- 16 Where to buy reading glasses and get a massage in Bangkok?
- 17 Heads up for US people trying to pay for Myanmar by cc from the US
- 18 A month in central Asia
- 19 Central Asia Four Week Itinerary
- 20 Something about... Malaysia
- 21 Day trip from Kuala Lumpur
- 22 Two Round Trip Tickets?
- 23 Osaka, aquarium?
- 24 favorite activities in krabi area
- 25 itinerary help for cambodia and laos