Can you please provide some feedback and pointers on this 11-day itinerary for me, my wife and our 7-yr old son in late March-early April 2013? Is the pace too hectic for a 7-yr old, and am I seeing way too many temples here? I included the gardens so we could catch Cherry Blossoms.
- Arrive in Tokyo
- Walking the Imperial Moat
- Higashi Gyoen (East Garden) (1 hr)
- Walk and LUNCH in Ginza
- Shinjuku Gyoen
- Meiji Shrine
- Walk and DINNER in Shinjuku Skyscraper District (west of the station)
- Nikko (1 day)
- Rinnoji Temple (visit Shōyō-en Garden)
- Toshogu Shrine
- Futarasan Shrine
- Nikko Tamozawa Imperial Villa
- Taiyuin Mausoleum
- Kamakura (1 day)
- Kōtoku-in Temple (see Daibutsu aka Great Buddha)
- Hase Kannon Temple
- Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine [only if time permits]
- Leave for Kyoto
- Sanjusangendo Hall
- Kiyomizu Temple (Kiyomizudera) (also, see three-story pagoda and Otowa Falls)
- Jishu Shrine
- Kyoto Craft Center (SHOPPING)
- Nijo Castle (Nijojo) (2-3 hrs) [Enter before 4PM]
- Nara (1 day)
- Kofukuji Temple's Treasure House
- Todaiji Temple with its Great Buddha
- Kasuga Grand Shrine
- Kinkakuji (Temple of the Golden Pavilion) & then a 20min walk to
- Ryoanji Temple (visit early morning) (2-3 hrs)
- Kokedera (Saihoji) [@1PM]
- Maruyama Park (for lit Cherry Blossoms in the night)
- Ginkakuji, the Temple of the Silver Pavilion
- Philosopher's Pathway
- Heian Shrine and Garden (weeping cherry trees)
- Kyoto Handicraft center (BEST SHOPPING!)
- Leave for Tokyo in the AFTERNOON
- Tsukiji Fish Market (1 hr)
- Sumida River Boat to Asakusa (cherry blossom viewing ferry; not pleasure boat)
- Walk through Hama Rikyu Garden
- Walk through Nakamise Dori
- Sensoji Temple
- Tokyo Skytree (TMG) (1 hr)
- Walk through Akihabara
- See lighted cherry blossom trees in Chidorigafuchi (near the Imperial Moat)
- See the famous Shibuya (scramble) crossing (located in front of the Shibuya station Hachikō exit)
- Tokyo National Museum (plan 2 hrs)
- Viewing Cherry Blossoms at Ueno Park
- Depart from Tokyo
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 TRIP REPORT: Osaka to Hiroshima and in-between stops (tsuyu / summer)
- 2 Best Hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter
- 3 BKK Street Food Disappearing per BBC
- 4 Visiting China - must be tour
- 5 Back to Bangkok this month!
- 6 Questions on Details for 23 Days in Japan
- 7 Onsen ryokan for single near Tokyo
- 8 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 9 What is the best way to travel through Budapest, Vienna, and Prague?
- 10 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 11 Recommendations for Asian Tour
- 12 Hakone and Mt Fuji
- 13 Best places to photo-shoot landscapes and natural beauty
- 14 Udon Thani to Chiang Mai by road
- 15 Thailand - Khao Lak [Andaman Coast] area
- 16 An island paradise?
- 17 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 18 6 months SE Asia and New Zeland
- 19 mekong delta vietnam tours which operator to go for?
- 20 Help with hotel in Saigon - An Lam Saigon River or Hotel des Arts??
- 21 Budget accommodation in Krabi and Phi Phi island??
- 22 Japan - first timer - itinerary help please!
- 23 Kyoto to Tokyo on December 31?
- 24 Has anyone used Sanctuary Ananda to cruise in Burma?
- 25 A Food Obsessive's First Time Hong Kong