Can you please provide some feedback and pointers on this 11-day itinerary for me, my wife and our 7-yr old son in late March-early April 2013? Is the pace too hectic for a 7-yr old, and am I seeing way too many temples here? I included the gardens so we could catch Cherry Blossoms.
- Arrive in Tokyo
- Walking the Imperial Moat
- Higashi Gyoen (East Garden) (1 hr)
- Walk and LUNCH in Ginza
- Shinjuku Gyoen
- Meiji Shrine
- Walk and DINNER in Shinjuku Skyscraper District (west of the station)
- Nikko (1 day)
- Rinnoji Temple (visit Shōyō-en Garden)
- Toshogu Shrine
- Futarasan Shrine
- Nikko Tamozawa Imperial Villa
- Taiyuin Mausoleum
- Kamakura (1 day)
- Kōtoku-in Temple (see Daibutsu aka Great Buddha)
- Hase Kannon Temple
- Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine [only if time permits]
- Leave for Kyoto
- Sanjusangendo Hall
- Kiyomizu Temple (Kiyomizudera) (also, see three-story pagoda and Otowa Falls)
- Jishu Shrine
- Kyoto Craft Center (SHOPPING)
- Nijo Castle (Nijojo) (2-3 hrs) [Enter before 4PM]
- Nara (1 day)
- Kofukuji Temple's Treasure House
- Todaiji Temple with its Great Buddha
- Kasuga Grand Shrine
- Kinkakuji (Temple of the Golden Pavilion) & then a 20min walk to
- Ryoanji Temple (visit early morning) (2-3 hrs)
- Kokedera (Saihoji) [@1PM]
- Maruyama Park (for lit Cherry Blossoms in the night)
- Ginkakuji, the Temple of the Silver Pavilion
- Philosopher's Pathway
- Heian Shrine and Garden (weeping cherry trees)
- Kyoto Handicraft center (BEST SHOPPING!)
- Leave for Tokyo in the AFTERNOON
- Tsukiji Fish Market (1 hr)
- Sumida River Boat to Asakusa (cherry blossom viewing ferry; not pleasure boat)
- Walk through Hama Rikyu Garden
- Walk through Nakamise Dori
- Sensoji Temple
- Tokyo Skytree (TMG) (1 hr)
- Walk through Akihabara
- See lighted cherry blossom trees in Chidorigafuchi (near the Imperial Moat)
- See the famous Shibuya (scramble) crossing (located in front of the Shibuya station Hachikō exit)
- Tokyo National Museum (plan 2 hrs)
- Viewing Cherry Blossoms at Ueno Park
- Depart from Tokyo
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 2 suggestions for 2nd time to Vietnam itinerary
- 3 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 4 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 5 Bitchu-Matsuyama Castle Visit
- 6 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 7 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 8 Update on riding elephants
- 9 5 days in Tokyo, late June with pregnant wife
- 10 Our really quite big adventure, Act 2: a short intermission in Hong Kong
- 11 SOUTHEAST ASIA 6 WEEKS
- 12 Medical Trip Insurance: To Buy Or Not To Buy
- 13 NYT article on Bangkok's River of Kings
- 14 Thailand 1st time - June travel
- 15 Thai Airways International Layover: Baggage Recheck?
- 16 What's the best city to travel in Southeast Asia in a short period of time?
- 17 Best Place To Visit in Delhi
- 18 Fur Women's Trip to India
- 19 Japan SIM / Phone Data Options
- 20 Rajasthan by car in 14 days?
- 21 Advice on 6 day itinerary
- 22 Are personal tour guides in Tokyo and Kyoto work the cost?
- 23 Taipei National Palace Museum
- 24 8.5 Days in Vietnam
- 25 Private Asia tours to Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Indonesia...