Can you please provide some feedback and pointers on this 11-day itinerary for me, my wife and our 7-yr old son in late March-early April 2013? Is the pace too hectic for a 7-yr old, and am I seeing way too many temples here? I included the gardens so we could catch Cherry Blossoms.
- Arrive in Tokyo
- Walking the Imperial Moat
- Higashi Gyoen (East Garden) (1 hr)
- Walk and LUNCH in Ginza
- Shinjuku Gyoen
- Meiji Shrine
- Walk and DINNER in Shinjuku Skyscraper District (west of the station)
- Nikko (1 day)
- Rinnoji Temple (visit Shōyō-en Garden)
- Toshogu Shrine
- Futarasan Shrine
- Nikko Tamozawa Imperial Villa
- Taiyuin Mausoleum
- Kamakura (1 day)
- Kōtoku-in Temple (see Daibutsu aka Great Buddha)
- Hase Kannon Temple
- Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine [only if time permits]
- Leave for Kyoto
- Sanjusangendo Hall
- Kiyomizu Temple (Kiyomizudera) (also, see three-story pagoda and Otowa Falls)
- Jishu Shrine
- Kyoto Craft Center (SHOPPING)
- Nijo Castle (Nijojo) (2-3 hrs) [Enter before 4PM]
- Nara (1 day)
- Kofukuji Temple's Treasure House
- Todaiji Temple with its Great Buddha
- Kasuga Grand Shrine
- Kinkakuji (Temple of the Golden Pavilion) & then a 20min walk to
- Ryoanji Temple (visit early morning) (2-3 hrs)
- Kokedera (Saihoji) [@1PM]
- Maruyama Park (for lit Cherry Blossoms in the night)
- Ginkakuji, the Temple of the Silver Pavilion
- Philosopher's Pathway
- Heian Shrine and Garden (weeping cherry trees)
- Kyoto Handicraft center (BEST SHOPPING!)
- Leave for Tokyo in the AFTERNOON
- Tsukiji Fish Market (1 hr)
- Sumida River Boat to Asakusa (cherry blossom viewing ferry; not pleasure boat)
- Walk through Hama Rikyu Garden
- Walk through Nakamise Dori
- Sensoji Temple
- Tokyo Skytree (TMG) (1 hr)
- Walk through Akihabara
- See lighted cherry blossom trees in Chidorigafuchi (near the Imperial Moat)
- See the famous Shibuya (scramble) crossing (located in front of the Shibuya station Hachikō exit)
- Tokyo National Museum (plan 2 hrs)
- Viewing Cherry Blossoms at Ueno Park
- Depart from Tokyo
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan Itinerary Review
- 2 Kumakaron
- 3 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 4 From Bali--Sumatra or Borneo?
- 5 A Food Obsessive's First Time Hong Kong
- 6 Favorite Andaman coast beach hotels with kids?
- 7 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 8 Internship in Beijing - 4 weeks Where to stay?
- 9 Hotel Suggestions - New Delhi
- 10 Is Halong Bay too touristy or still worth the visit?
- 11 Road Scholar tour in China
- 12 China in june-July
- 13 Driver for a 18 day trip in Sri Lanka?
- 14 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 15 ? Regarding Can Tho floating market
- 16 Recommended novel for those visiting (or who have visited ) Cambodia
- 17 Bali - What to do?
- 18 China in July
- 19 Seim Reap: hotels?
- 20 How to choose a hotel in Luang Prabang
- 21 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 22 Problems turned opportunities-Myanmar
- 23 Month in Cambodia and Laos - January 2017
- 24 Where to stay in Tokyo
- 25 Tuk-tuk, songthew or taxi?