I'm finally just over a month away from my 10 week trip to Thailand and Southeast Asia.
I'm really excited about my trip to Southeast Asia but also completely overwhelmed with all the preparation. Major decision fatigue and nerves are setting in!
Do you think that as a 24 year old weakling with no plans for hiking, with the below itinerary and staying in hostels/guesthouses, I would be significantly better off with a backpack versus a traditional wheeling suitcase? I've only traveled in Europe before and with friends for short vacations, so it is hard for me to imagine the luggage I'll need on this trip!
My very loose itinerary:
Flying in and out of Hong Kong from NYC. Flight booked 1-way to Chiang Mai
3 weeks volunteering Chiang Mai (all set)
Slow Boat to Laos
1 week MAYBE volunteering in Laos (need to contact NGO, will hopefully be able to decide if I'm up for it once in Chiang Mai)
1-2 weeks in Laos - Hopefully seeing elephant festival and doing lots of weaving/dying workshops (already found a few) - Definitely Luang Prabang, potentially Vang Vieng and Vientiane, but then flights are harder to get to Siem Reap
1 week yoga retreat near Siem Reap (picked out but not yet contacted)
1 week Angkor Wat and Siem Reap and area
1 week Phnom Penh and other cities/towns around Cambodia (I have a list from guidebooks)
1 week Thai beaches
1 week Bangkok
In addition to the overwhelming backpack decision (and if I should use a backpack, which??? I may have already ordered three options...), are there any common prep things that I'm forgetting? How important are conservative long sleeve tops and pants vs tees and shorts?
I have purchased World Nomads insurance, have gotten (overpriced) malaria and typhoid prescriptions to be picked up this week, and know I need to get passport photos taken for Visas on arrival. Anything else???
I never knew I could be this neurotic
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 50th Anniversary trip
- 2 ATMs in Japan
- 3 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 4 Short trip to Myanmar
- 5 "necessities" for India
- 6 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 7 Four Best Sakura Sightseeing Places in Tokyo
- 8 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 9 A Journey to Jagna, Bohol - Trip Report
- 10 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 11 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 12 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 13 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 14 Mandalay questions
- 15 Guides ,Bagan and Mandalay
- 16 Asia Transpacific vs Pacific Delight Private Tour to China
- 17 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 18 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 19 3 Week Trip to Southeast Asia
- 20 Help - India take 2
- 21 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 22 CNX late arrival?
- 23 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 24 best singapore hotel
- 25 3 weeks: solo travel to Thailand (with stop in Hong Kong and Tokyo)?