I'm finally just over a month away from my 10 week trip to Thailand and Southeast Asia.
I'm really excited about my trip to Southeast Asia but also completely overwhelmed with all the preparation. Major decision fatigue and nerves are setting in!
Do you think that as a 24 year old weakling with no plans for hiking, with the below itinerary and staying in hostels/guesthouses, I would be significantly better off with a backpack versus a traditional wheeling suitcase? I've only traveled in Europe before and with friends for short vacations, so it is hard for me to imagine the luggage I'll need on this trip!
My very loose itinerary:
Flying in and out of Hong Kong from NYC. Flight booked 1-way to Chiang Mai
3 weeks volunteering Chiang Mai (all set)
Slow Boat to Laos
1 week MAYBE volunteering in Laos (need to contact NGO, will hopefully be able to decide if I'm up for it once in Chiang Mai)
1-2 weeks in Laos - Hopefully seeing elephant festival and doing lots of weaving/dying workshops (already found a few) - Definitely Luang Prabang, potentially Vang Vieng and Vientiane, but then flights are harder to get to Siem Reap
1 week yoga retreat near Siem Reap (picked out but not yet contacted)
1 week Angkor Wat and Siem Reap and area
1 week Phnom Penh and other cities/towns around Cambodia (I have a list from guidebooks)
1 week Thai beaches
1 week Bangkok
In addition to the overwhelming backpack decision (and if I should use a backpack, which??? I may have already ordered three options...), are there any common prep things that I'm forgetting? How important are conservative long sleeve tops and pants vs tees and shorts?
I have purchased World Nomads insurance, have gotten (overpriced) malaria and typhoid prescriptions to be picked up this week, and know I need to get passport photos taken for Visas on arrival. Anything else???
I never knew I could be this neurotic
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Help with itinerary please, 10 days Japan
- 2 First time to India
- 3 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 4 First time getting out of the country
- 5 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 6 Three days in Siem Reap, Two in Phnom Penh
- 7 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 8 Start in Tokyo or Kyoto?
- 9 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 10 Travelling in Japan for 3 weeks - advice.
- 11 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 12 5 days in Davao or Osaka
- 13 Planning my Philippines trip
- 14 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
- 15 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 16 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 17 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 18 Kyoto airbnb/vrbo reco?
- 19 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 20 Surgery at Bumrungrad?
- 21 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 22 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 23 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 24 10 days in Sri Lanka - Travel Report
- 25 12 days in Thailand itinerary