I'm finally just over a month away from my 10 week trip to Thailand and Southeast Asia.
I'm really excited about my trip to Southeast Asia but also completely overwhelmed with all the preparation. Major decision fatigue and nerves are setting in!
Do you think that as a 24 year old weakling with no plans for hiking, with the below itinerary and staying in hostels/guesthouses, I would be significantly better off with a backpack versus a traditional wheeling suitcase? I've only traveled in Europe before and with friends for short vacations, so it is hard for me to imagine the luggage I'll need on this trip!
My very loose itinerary:
Flying in and out of Hong Kong from NYC. Flight booked 1-way to Chiang Mai
3 weeks volunteering Chiang Mai (all set)
Slow Boat to Laos
1 week MAYBE volunteering in Laos (need to contact NGO, will hopefully be able to decide if I'm up for it once in Chiang Mai)
1-2 weeks in Laos - Hopefully seeing elephant festival and doing lots of weaving/dying workshops (already found a few) - Definitely Luang Prabang, potentially Vang Vieng and Vientiane, but then flights are harder to get to Siem Reap
1 week yoga retreat near Siem Reap (picked out but not yet contacted)
1 week Angkor Wat and Siem Reap and area
1 week Phnom Penh and other cities/towns around Cambodia (I have a list from guidebooks)
1 week Thai beaches
1 week Bangkok
In addition to the overwhelming backpack decision (and if I should use a backpack, which??? I may have already ordered three options...), are there any common prep things that I'm forgetting? How important are conservative long sleeve tops and pants vs tees and shorts?
I have purchased World Nomads insurance, have gotten (overpriced) malaria and typhoid prescriptions to be picked up this week, and know I need to get passport photos taken for Visas on arrival. Anything else???
I never knew I could be this neurotic
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 High quality documents at low prices
- 2 Passport
- 3 Tips for Others Planning to Visit Japan
- 4 Siem reap to Sihanoukville flight
- 5 How would you spend your last few days in Thailand.
- 6 Santa Maria Travels and Inle Lake
- 7 Are knitting needles allowed on ANA?
- 8 Our trip to the Republic of Georgia
- 9 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
- 10 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 11 Itinerary help - Thailand 9D8N in Nov'16
- 12 Amakusa island help
- 13 7 days in Ho Chi Minh City
- 14 Month in Cambodia and Laos - January 2017
- 15 Visiting a Country in Mourning
- 16 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 17 Weekend Breaks from Singapore
- 18 Questions re use of Japan Rail Pass and Kyoto itinerary
- 19 Cheapest way to Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand.
- 20 Japan Itinerary
- 21 Complete Asia Newbie - Phnom Penh Itinerary Ideas - Two Weeks
- 22 Toddler twin travel in India
- 23 Train vs Taxi from BKK to hotel
- 24 Chinese New Year in Hong Kong
- 25 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India