My husband and I are planning our first trip to Paris this April. Our apartment is booked and air tickets purchased, so I figured we were good to go. Then I got an email from Orbitz tonight that the airline -- Delta/AirFrance -- has *significantly* changed our flight itinerary, without any confirmation much less input from us. I'm expecting I'm going to need to place some calls to get this fixed, but I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this forum will help me know what to say to straighten this out.
We're flying from our home airport, SNA/Orange County, layover in Salt Lake, then overnight to CDG/Paris. Since it's an international flight, and my first since I was a kid, when I booked the flights I scheduled in a hefty layover on purpose. Our original itinerary had us leaving SNA at 10am and getting to SLC at 1pm, with the flight to Paris leaving at 4:45pm -- so a 3 hour and 45 minute layover. Even flying domestic, I don't like to schedule less than an hour and a half layover on the way out, and added padding to that for an international flight.
Per the email I got tonight, we're now leaving SNA at 1:15pm and arriving at SLC at 4:02pm, with the Paris flight still leaving at 4:45pm -- so a 43 minute layover, before an international flight. We're planning on traveling light, carry-on only, but I have a joint condition which occasionally makes walking after a flight difficult/painful/slow. I won't know how bad it is until we deplane in SLC.
IMO, this change is in no way acceptable, and I'll be contacting Orbitz, Delta, and AirFrance about it, but probably not until Tuesday, given the holiday weekend in the US. I can only assume they cancelled the 10am flight entirely, but in any case they are going to fix it, and I would expect at no charge to us.
So here's where I need your help. Given SLC, Delta/AirFrance, and the international nature of this flight -- and that missing our flight would cost us at least a day in Paris, to say nothing of the hassle with the apartment -- what's a realistic minimum layover? Is an hour and a half doable? Two hours? Are there any immigration proceedures we'll have to do in SLC? Or only once we get to CDG?
Also, any tips for dealing with Orbitz/Delta/AirFrance and getting them to fix this?
Thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 How to figure out the cost of a trip when purchasing insurance.
- 2 Consolidators for Biz Class - has any one used one?
- 3 Medication Sleep Aid for 30+ Hours Travel
- 4 Miami International Airport
- 5 T4 (AA) remodel at LAX
- 6 What should I know about flying Southwest?
- 7 Complimentary upgrades on Delta with companion
- 8 Question on checkin for international
- 9 travelling with ensure
- 10 BA not to fly to serve anymore.
- 11 Connection time
- 12 Flight from Athens to Santorini?
- 13 Connecting in Toronto for return to US
- 14 Award travel and fees
- 15 Arlanda connecting flight Intl to oslo Customs??
- 16 PHL layover
- 17 Is there a best day to book an international flight? a best day to fly?
- 18 searching for flights on Kayak
- 19 PHL-CDG airline change with checked bags (less than 2 hrs) HELP!!!
- 20 U.K. Registered Traveler vs Fast Track
- 21 Booking with airline vs. Orbitz or Priceline
- 22 Which site to use (or not) to book airfare
- 23 Purchasing third coach seat for two passengers on international flight
- 24 Renewal of Global Entry
- 25 added cost on BA tickets