i'm trying to wrap my head around a bunch of stuff about AMS (schipol) and i'm feeling very confused/stupid about my upcoming trip.
DH and i are flying YYZ - AMS - BCN on KLM. our return flight is CDG - AMS - YYZ.
my questions are:
1. on my way FROM Toronto, where will I go through customs? in AMS or in BCN?
1a. will i go through customs between AMS - BCN and CDG - AMS? (i think the answer is no but i just want to double check).
2. when I get off the plane from YYZ in AMS, I will have just under three hours before my AMS - BCN leg. will I have enough time to peruse some of the shops in AMS and get a bite to eat?
3. i'm gathering (from another thread that I posted about shopping at AMS) that there are two 'areas' of the AMS airport ... one that is considered "within the terminal" (i.e. i wouldn't have to go through security to get onto my AMS - BCN flight) and one that is considered "outside of the terminal but still attached" (i.e. schipol plaza ... if i go here, i will need to come through security to get onto my AMS - BCN flight). is this understanding correct?
4. if i have to go through security at AMS to board my AMS - BCN flight, how much time should i allot?
5. is my CDG - AMS flight considered 'international'? i am very confused about this ... i have read varying arrival/check-in times for CDG ... some say 3 hours, some say 2 hours. my CDG flight leaves at 9:30 am on a friday ... i was planning to get to CDG by 6:30 am (overkill? maybe - but i'd rather sit and wait at the airport terminal knowing that i'm going to make my flight than be panicking somewhere along the way!). i called KLM and they advised a minimum of 2 hours.
sorry for all the complicated questions ... every time i've flown out of europe previously, i've always taken a direct flight. and this AMS stopover is throwing me for a loop.
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 United equipment change
- 2 I miss USAirways
- 3 Booking one way
- 4 Alitalia - Carry on luggage?
- 5 Several Day Layover in London
- 6 Thai Business Class BKK-NRT; ANA Business Class NRT-SEA
- 7 Major revisions to AAdvantage frequent flyer program
- 8 BA Seat Selection
- 9 layovers and luggage
- 10 AA First class LAX to NRT
- 11 Southwest "Honors" the Military
- 12 Flying from US with a prearranged VOA for Vietnam
- 13 Bravofly now doing an old scam again?
- 14 Asiana Business class SEA-ICN; Thai Air business class ICN-BKK
- 15 Any experience with #Mobile Passport?
- 16 Short layovers doable from Seattle to Peru?
- 17 Mileage Expiration
- 18 List of fares from MCI
- 19 China Airlines (the one with the pink flower symbol)
- 20 Orbitz? FlightHub? Cheapoair?
- 21 Qatar Airways - Terrible Customer Service
- 22 Hong Kong Air vs China Eastern?
- 23 Istanbul (Sabiha Gökçen) to Frankfurt–Turkish Airlines–Business Class
- 24 Is there a way to track my personal flight travel history?
- 25 Traveling to Dubai for first time
questions about passport/security/etc. when flying through AMS