i'm trying to wrap my head around a bunch of stuff about AMS (schipol) and i'm feeling very confused/stupid about my upcoming trip.
DH and i are flying YYZ - AMS - BCN on KLM. our return flight is CDG - AMS - YYZ.
my questions are:
1. on my way FROM Toronto, where will I go through customs? in AMS or in BCN?
1a. will i go through customs between AMS - BCN and CDG - AMS? (i think the answer is no but i just want to double check).
2. when I get off the plane from YYZ in AMS, I will have just under three hours before my AMS - BCN leg. will I have enough time to peruse some of the shops in AMS and get a bite to eat?
3. i'm gathering (from another thread that I posted about shopping at AMS) that there are two 'areas' of the AMS airport ... one that is considered "within the terminal" (i.e. i wouldn't have to go through security to get onto my AMS - BCN flight) and one that is considered "outside of the terminal but still attached" (i.e. schipol plaza ... if i go here, i will need to come through security to get onto my AMS - BCN flight). is this understanding correct?
4. if i have to go through security at AMS to board my AMS - BCN flight, how much time should i allot?
5. is my CDG - AMS flight considered 'international'? i am very confused about this ... i have read varying arrival/check-in times for CDG ... some say 3 hours, some say 2 hours. my CDG flight leaves at 9:30 am on a friday ... i was planning to get to CDG by 6:30 am (overkill? maybe - but i'd rather sit and wait at the airport terminal knowing that i'm going to make my flight than be panicking somewhere along the way!). i called KLM and they advised a minimum of 2 hours.
sorry for all the complicated questions ... every time i've flown out of europe previously, i've always taken a direct flight. and this AMS stopover is throwing me for a loop.
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Transferring in Beijing to Hong Kong
- 2 Getting Global entry interview appointment
- 3 Miami Airport-clearing customs question
- 4 What should I know about flying Southwest?
- 5 Heathrow: Can I make it?
- 6 Atlanta Immigration & Customs
- 7 Renewal of Global Entry
- 8 IAD connection time of 1 hour 5 minutes for flight to Copenhagen.
- 9 More cheap transatlantic flights coming
- 10 Complimentary upgrades on Delta with companion
- 11 Do you get miles with upgraded Econ. fare
- 12 UA New (?) Economy Class Fare
- 13 Ideas for stop over from MAUI to BOS
- 14 Wedding + Honeymoon (Toronto / Sao Paulo / Male)
- 15 Documents for E-tickets?
- 16 Qantas A380 vs 744 in economy
- 17 Enough time
- 18 Flight Review – Vancouver to Hong Kong – Air Canada – Business Class
- 19 American Airines - Bad plane going; No plane coming back
- 20 Fare searches with flexible dates.
- 21 BA economy premiun seats
- 22 BA not to fly to serve anymore.
- 23 JFK Time Between Terminals?
- 24 British Airways headphones/earbuds
- 25 Book inter-Europe as part of open-jaw?
questions about passport/security/etc. when flying through AMS