i'm trying to wrap my head around a bunch of stuff about AMS (schipol) and i'm feeling very confused/stupid about my upcoming trip.
DH and i are flying YYZ - AMS - BCN on KLM. our return flight is CDG - AMS - YYZ.
my questions are:
1. on my way FROM Toronto, where will I go through customs? in AMS or in BCN?
1a. will i go through customs between AMS - BCN and CDG - AMS? (i think the answer is no but i just want to double check).
2. when I get off the plane from YYZ in AMS, I will have just under three hours before my AMS - BCN leg. will I have enough time to peruse some of the shops in AMS and get a bite to eat?
3. i'm gathering (from another thread that I posted about shopping at AMS) that there are two 'areas' of the AMS airport ... one that is considered "within the terminal" (i.e. i wouldn't have to go through security to get onto my AMS - BCN flight) and one that is considered "outside of the terminal but still attached" (i.e. schipol plaza ... if i go here, i will need to come through security to get onto my AMS - BCN flight). is this understanding correct?
4. if i have to go through security at AMS to board my AMS - BCN flight, how much time should i allot?
5. is my CDG - AMS flight considered 'international'? i am very confused about this ... i have read varying arrival/check-in times for CDG ... some say 3 hours, some say 2 hours. my CDG flight leaves at 9:30 am on a friday ... i was planning to get to CDG by 6:30 am (overkill? maybe - but i'd rather sit and wait at the airport terminal knowing that i'm going to make my flight than be panicking somewhere along the way!). i called KLM and they advised a minimum of 2 hours.
sorry for all the complicated questions ... every time i've flown out of europe previously, i've always taken a direct flight. and this AMS stopover is throwing me for a loop.
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Connecting flight through Amsterdam
- 2 Long layover in PHL
- 3 Boarding US-bound Flight with Expired Green Card
- 4 Praise for Delta One
- 5 Good air fare?
- 6 Southwest and pax rights
- 7 American vs United
- 8 Which airport for connection to/from Europe?
- 9 immigration passport control
- 10 international flight luggage pick-up waiting time
- 11 Canceled Flight Compensation
- 12 Unable to Purchase on Spirit Airline?
- 13 IAH layover time
- 14 Immigration Control When Connecting Through Europe
- 15 CDG Air France flight connection to Madrid
- 16 How Would You Rate Iberia Air Customer Service?
- 17 The Top 100 Airlines
- 18 Can a person go home at a transit
- 19 Caution while booking a ticket on rcg.se
- 20 Does a OneWorld Explorer ticket make sense?
- 21 Departure Times - Can These Be Confirmed?
- 22 TSA pre check -received in mail within 8 days
- 23 Police Raids in Ryanair Bases in Germany
- 24 Transfer time to flight to US, LHR Term 3
- 25 Serious problem with Expedia.com
questions about passport/security/etc. when flying through AMS