I will try to keep this brief. Basically, my family of four have a trip booked to Greece from 7/9-7/24. I booked this months ago on Expedia from JFK-SKG on Lufthansa as though JFK is not my home airport we found an amazing deal which was well worth going through JFK rather than Boston which is two hours less to get to for us.
As luck would have it, my 2 yr old son has contracted a virus (not to go into too much detail, but involving major diarrhea, etc). We meet with the doctor in the morning to see what will happen.
However, I wanted to ask what the best course of action would be if we did have to cancel our trip. We paid about $830 ticket when I booked back in February, of course you won't find anything near that to fly to Greece anytime this summer.
My question is how much are the charges if we changed the dates of our flights? I know that there is a rebooking fee of $250 per ticket, but does anyone know if there are other charges generally slapped on to that rebooking fee? In other words would it make more sense to just cancel the trip and try to recoup the money from the insurance we purchased? Or would it be more worthwhile to just rebook and take the hit with the rebooking fees?
Tickets to Greece from either BOS or JFK to either ATH or SKG will undoubtedly be now almost doubled what we originally paid and I know I won't get exact answers until I go through the process, however I was hoping you guys could guide with some general help through your experience.
Thanks for your time.
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Is buying from a 3rd party site a good idea?
- 2 VERIZON PASSWORD RECOVERY CONTACT 1:800:982:8520 TECHNICAL CARE
- 3 Cheaper to buy plane ticket in Canada instead of US?
- 4 Question about dropping ORD-YYZ leg of HNL-ORD-YYZ
- 5 Is 8 months too early to buy and international plane ticket?
- 6 Best time to buy tix on Southwest
- 7 Shopping duty Free On Board versus On Ground
- 8 Traveling abroad with gift box as carry-on?
- 9 Travel with iPad on International Flight
- 10 El Salvador plane change
- 11 Norwegian Airlines through Expedia
- 12 1st RTW- cheapest place to start?
- 13 United and ANA
- 14 How much time do I need to switch planes in CDG
- 15 Newark Terminal Transfer
- 16 Redeeming Miles with a Capital One Card
- 17 Free Stopovers in Europe, flying from NYC?
- 18 Best/worst airlines for traveling with pets?
- 19 Porter or Air Canada?
- 20 Going through security with herbs?
- 21 Help me get award tickets using variety of points
- 22 Foot Rests? China Airlines Premium Economy Experiences ??
- 23 Chocolates in carry on allowed?
- 24 Is it safe to put a laptop in a carry on suitcase?
- 25 Booking with airline vs. Orbitz or Priceline