Air Travel Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

View all Air Travel activity »
  1. 1 Question on checkin for international
  2. 2 travelling with ensure
  3. 3 BA not to fly to serve anymore.
  4. 4 Connection time
  5. 5 Flight from Athens to Santorini?
  6. 6 Connecting in Toronto for return to US
  7. 7 Award travel and fees
  8. 8 Arlanda connecting flight Intl to oslo Customs??
  9. 9 PHL layover
  10. 10 How to figure out the cost of a trip when purchasing insurance.
  11. 11 Is there a best day to book an international flight? a best day to fly?
  12. 12 searching for flights on Kayak
  13. 13 Medication Sleep Aid for 30+ Hours Travel
  14. 14 PHL-CDG airline change with checked bags (less than 2 hrs) HELP!!!
  15. 15 U.K. Registered Traveler vs Fast Track
  16. 16 Booking with airline vs. Orbitz or Priceline
  17. 17 Complimentary upgrades on Delta with companion
  18. 18 Which site to use (or not) to book airfare
  19. 19 Purchasing third coach seat for two passengers on international flight
  20. 20 Renewal of Global Entry
  21. 21 added cost on BA tickets
  22. 22 transfer at LHR or CDG
  23. 23 American Airlines, Iberia, British Airways
  24. 24 KLM/Delta flight
  25. 25 CDG connection in 2 hours
View next 25 » Back to the top

Possible FF dilemma - looking for options, any ideas?

Jump to last reply

I'm trying to book a flight from Buffalo, NY to Cairns, Australia on AA miles for a "once in a lifetime trip."

AA reward mile agents have mostly been wonderful to work with, however, not all the legs of my flight are available. I have been on the phone with them for 4 days and as it stands now they can find flights available for:

Buffalo to Chicago
...
LAX to Cairns, Australia

So the flight that is not available for booking right now is Chicago to LAX, which I find ironic as one would guess that there would be most flights available btwn major markets.

There are no direct flights from Buffalo to LAX.

Tomorrow is the last day before my hold on the LAX to Australia legs expire. Are these my only options?:

1. Take the BUF > ORD flight, and then buy our own tickets to LAX and continue on our LAX to Aussie flight. Would AA allow us to do this or would they see it as redeeming points twice?

2. The first agent I spoke with suggested a routing from Toronto (2.5 hr drive away). Obviously we'd have another border crossing to contend with and we would have to see if the Aussie flight was available the next day as the current departure day is a workday and we would be unable to leave work so early. Also we'd have to take a bus to Toronto. The flight is direct to LAX, a big plus as another transfer possibly means another opportunity for our luggage to not make it.

A subsequent agent told me it was ridiculous that the first agent said they were not allowed to put a request in for a flight with two legs (BUF>ORD>LAX) and put in that request.

I have very little experience redeeming airline miles (and no experience redeeming for overseas) and am wondering if there is something else I could suggest or another possible solution to this. It's possible that when I call tomorrow AA will allow that ORD>LAX leg but if it doesn't I want to be prepared with some other options. Obviously the most expensive part of the journey is the flight to Australia so I'm hoping to keep that.

Any suggestions much appreciated - enjoy-la!

10 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.

Advertisement