On an international return into Chicago O'Hare the other Sunday, the gate agent at our arriving flight told us to expect up to 3 hour waits for immigration and customs. I cringed. But then along the hallway in T5 there I noticed signs to the effect of "One Stop - Carry On Only". It turns out if you have carry on only, there is a special line you enter before the big room with the immigration lines. That very busy Sunday at 5 pm there were only 6 people ahead of me. There were two special booths staffed, you give the immigration official your passport and your customs card. He keeps the customs card, you walk out a special door without going through the baggage claim area. So one stop, not two. And you exit the terminal. Took about 10 minutes from gate to exit! Don't know why they have this. Never saw it before in the 29 years I have lived in Chicago and traveled internationally but I was glad to see it.
One Reason to Do Only Carry On
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 US Airways schedule changes
- 2 Need Advice on EU 261--contact Lufthansa or United for compensation?
- 3 Airside lounges at HKG: recommendations?
- 4 When to book?
- 5 never fly LIAT
- 6 Booked on United with codes share to Europe/No seat reservation allowed
- 7 Comparing Business Class Experience: AA, USAir International
- 8 Review of Air France Premium Economy
- 9 Getting bumped from Premium Economy on Delta/KLM
- 10 Lufthansa Intra-Europe Travel: How strict on hand baggage?
- 11 Airfare to Italy
- 12 Booking a United award in Lufthansa premium economy: Is it possible?
- 13 Alitalia
- 14 Around the World Fare on OneWorld?
- 15 Layover in the airport
- 16 Bringing in Bali coffee to Brunei and UK.
- 17 Any difference between Air NZ Business Class seats, 777-300, 787?
- 18 AA Downgrading from 777's to 767's on DFW-FRA Route
- 19 San Jose Costa Rica to Havana Cuba
- 20 British Air Miles - Household Account Question
- 21 Confusing Lufthansa Carry On Weight Restrictions
- 22 use of united skylounge if flying a different airline
- 23 Crease on passport ID page
- 24 Beware of Bravofly
- 25 JetBlue Amex card