On an international return into Chicago O'Hare the other Sunday, the gate agent at our arriving flight told us to expect up to 3 hour waits for immigration and customs. I cringed. But then along the hallway in T5 there I noticed signs to the effect of "One Stop - Carry On Only". It turns out if you have carry on only, there is a special line you enter before the big room with the immigration lines. That very busy Sunday at 5 pm there were only 6 people ahead of me. There were two special booths staffed, you give the immigration official your passport and your customs card. He keeps the customs card, you walk out a special door without going through the baggage claim area. So one stop, not two. And you exit the terminal. Took about 10 minutes from gate to exit! Don't know why they have this. Never saw it before in the 29 years I have lived in Chicago and traveled internationally but I was glad to see it.
One Reason to Do Only Carry On
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 French Riv to Marbella : sky-tours
- 2 New Orleans to Beijing
- 3 Help me choose a flight - connection times in Paris
- 4 When to book?
- 5 NYC to Hawaii...best way to go?
- 6 I have never flown Ryanair
- 7 KLM - I think not!
- 8 Downside to Orbitz?
- 9 Booked on United with codes share to Europe/No seat reservation allowed
- 10 US customs pre clearance
- 11 Getting bumped from Premium Economy on Delta/KLM
- 12 Coach on United 767-400
- 13 Lie flat Business Class seats SYD - HKG
- 14 Beware of Bravofly
- 15 Air Travel - Iceland - London - Ireland (What lag time to take in between?)
- 16 Layover quetsion Dubai and Frankfurt
- 17 Review of Air France Premium Economy
- 18 Asiana. Biz seats
- 19 luggage lockers in Dubai
- 20 Cathay Pacific- Asia miles sign up fee
- 21 How to contact Vueling from US
- 22 Travelers Insurance
- 23 How strict is Aer Lingus carry on policy?
- 24 Cathay Pacific (HKG-BKK and reverse) in biz
- 25 Bringing in Bali coffee to Brunei and UK.