On an international return into Chicago O'Hare the other Sunday, the gate agent at our arriving flight told us to expect up to 3 hour waits for immigration and customs. I cringed. But then along the hallway in T5 there I noticed signs to the effect of "One Stop - Carry On Only". It turns out if you have carry on only, there is a special line you enter before the big room with the immigration lines. That very busy Sunday at 5 pm there were only 6 people ahead of me. There were two special booths staffed, you give the immigration official your passport and your customs card. He keeps the customs card, you walk out a special door without going through the baggage claim area. So one stop, not two. And you exit the terminal. Took about 10 minutes from gate to exit! Don't know why they have this. Never saw it before in the 29 years I have lived in Chicago and traveled internationally but I was glad to see it.
One Reason to Do Only Carry On
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 United Four Across in Biz Class
- 2 Considering an Around-the-World ticket
- 3 Best Airline to Fly to Singapore?
- 4 Anyone used webjet.com?
- 5 Rome Airport Luggage Storage
- 6 Taxes and carrier-imposed fees - EXORBITANT!
- 7 Using Award Tickets: things can be flexible at the airport...
- 8 Arrival at SFO
- 9 Singapore Stopover Holiday - Which Leg?
- 10 American Airlines awards
- 11 Delta?
- 12 Virgin Atlantic to LHR in economy - any opinions?
- 13 Suggestions for non-English-speaking travellers at London Heathrow Airport
- 14 Delayed Luggage
- 15 Ryanair puts on airs
- 16 Passengers in fight over reclined seat
- 17 Which is better-Quatar or Emirates?
- 18 Flying from East Coast to Italy - Strategy for Cheap Flights?
- 19 Seat selection help Korean Air
- 20 air canada not taking responsibility and not sure where to call
- 21 Travellers Beware of Online Tricks!
- 22 Bravofly 1 click 4 all your money !
- 23 Air France strike over
- 24 Transferring TBIT to Terminal 6 in LAX - lounge options?
- 25 Questions asked by CBP