On an international return into Chicago O'Hare the other Sunday, the gate agent at our arriving flight told us to expect up to 3 hour waits for immigration and customs. I cringed. But then along the hallway in T5 there I noticed signs to the effect of "One Stop - Carry On Only". It turns out if you have carry on only, there is a special line you enter before the big room with the immigration lines. That very busy Sunday at 5 pm there were only 6 people ahead of me. There were two special booths staffed, you give the immigration official your passport and your customs card. He keeps the customs card, you walk out a special door without going through the baggage claim area. So one stop, not two. And you exit the terminal. Took about 10 minutes from gate to exit! Don't know why they have this. Never saw it before in the 29 years I have lived in Chicago and traveled internationally but I was glad to see it.
One Reason to Do Only Carry On
View all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Business Class Dilemma. Newbie. Please Help!
- 2 Does FRA offer "golf cart" type transfers for mobility impaired?
- 3 Subject to Government Approval?
- 4 Gate Check Question
- 5 For United Frequent Fliers: How will you get to Bangkok now?
- 6 Trying again to get away. End of the year sometimes
- 7 Alaska when to book complicated trip
- 8 Should I switch from AMEX/Delta to say VISA/United?
- 9 JFK terminal 5 to 7
- 10 Worst US airline?
- 11 Asthma and Perfume on a Plane
- 12 Buying business and coach tickets
- 13 Lufthansa one-way prices
- 14 Global Entry Program and TSA PreCheck Question
- 15 Is $361 per person reasonable SLC-Orlando
- 16 Best time to purchase ticket to Orlando from Salt Lake travel end of May?
- 17 Were you "stupid" to buy AA stocks ~2 years ago?
- 18 Medallion status after AA/USAIR merger
- 19 Beware of Bravofly
- 20 Virgin Atlantic Economy - Changeable?
- 21 Premium Economy on Quantas vs. Business Class on Delta?
- 22 Deceptive Airtran Bump Reimbursement
- 23 flight change and immigration time insight: Dallas to Frankfurt to Vienna
- 24 Continue on or stopover?
- 25 Breaking up a flight