For seasoned United travelers my story may be old news, but it was a rude awakening to me. I sent the below complaint to United. Their response - perhaps not surprisingly - was "tough luck".
I would like to register a complaint about a recent United
flight. On Saturday April 23 I (along with my family) were on flight 967
from Rome to Dulles. The names and FF numbers for the passengers
Note that John and Bridget are young children.
The night prior to the flight I checked in on-line.
To my surprise there were exactly 4 seats available in the Economy
seating area. These seats were scattered around the cabin not near to
each other at all. I selected those seats with the intention of fixing
the issue when I arrived at the airport.
The next morning I spoke to
the gate agent at the Rome airport. She indicated to me that the only
way to seat us together is if the 4 of us upgraded to economy plus
seating. I paid the fee (I don't recall what the Euro charge was but
it shows up as $455.49 on my credit card statement). We were as signed
three seats together and a separate fourth seat one row behind. I was
annoyed to discover that none of the 4 seats were aisle seats all were
At this point I was annoyed, but I was just going to chalk
it up as a lesson learned. I didn*t get really upset until I talked to
the people in the seats around us. It turns out the one person to my
left and the couple to my right were all sitting in Economy plus without
paying for it. They got bumped up to economy plus. This was EXTREAMLY
aggravating. It was especially annoying with respect to the person on my
left because he had the superior aisle seat.
This experience left
me with a very negative impression of United. I essentially feel like I
Lesson Learned - United Economy Plus
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 What to pack in your "personal item" for an overseas flight
- 2 Best Airline for Trip to Istanbul
- 3 Visas and flight diversions
- 4 Singapore Airlines vs Emirates
- 5 Sleeping pills for long haul flights
- 6 Half Empty Airliner
- 7 AA or BA to OSL
- 8 Non Refundable Tickets
- 9 Scarcity of award travel in July on United Airlines
- 10 A Entire Area Blocked Off?
- 11 AA and USair
- 12 Multi-city pricing and strategy
- 13 Ailine security- a strange question
- 14 Paris-London-Dublin
- 15 Orbitz or Cheaptickets or Priceline via Kayak?
- 16 Should I purchase now?
- 17 Flight not always appearing on United website
- 18 Curious...ORD to NAN
- 19 Not showing up for a connecting flight - to tell or not to tell?
- 20 Duty Free Liquor
- 21 United to enforce carry-on size limits
- 22 definition of internationl "secure" area with international airports
- 23 Beware of Bravofly
- 24 Travelling with a less than pristine passport
- 25 Traveling to Germany can i carry Pickles & Sweets in the checked In Luggage