For seasoned United travelers my story may be old news, but it was a rude awakening to me. I sent the below complaint to United. Their response - perhaps not surprisingly - was "tough luck".
I would like to register a complaint about a recent United
flight. On Saturday April 23 I (along with my family) were on flight 967
from Rome to Dulles. The names and FF numbers for the passengers
Note that John and Bridget are young children.
The night prior to the flight I checked in on-line.
To my surprise there were exactly 4 seats available in the Economy
seating area. These seats were scattered around the cabin not near to
each other at all. I selected those seats with the intention of fixing
the issue when I arrived at the airport.
The next morning I spoke to
the gate agent at the Rome airport. She indicated to me that the only
way to seat us together is if the 4 of us upgraded to economy plus
seating. I paid the fee (I don't recall what the Euro charge was but
it shows up as $455.49 on my credit card statement). We were as signed
three seats together and a separate fourth seat one row behind. I was
annoyed to discover that none of the 4 seats were aisle seats all were
At this point I was annoyed, but I was just going to chalk
it up as a lesson learned. I didn*t get really upset until I talked to
the people in the seats around us. It turns out the one person to my
left and the couple to my right were all sitting in Economy plus without
paying for it. They got bumped up to economy plus. This was EXTREAMLY
aggravating. It was especially annoying with respect to the person on my
left because he had the superior aisle seat.
This experience left
me with a very negative impression of United. I essentially feel like I
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Norwegian Airlines, price too good to be true?
- 2 Best ideas to pack in your carry on?
- 3 Zurich Airport
- 4 Do I have to change terminals in Zurich?
- 5 Around the World Fare on OneWorld?
- 6 Flying "Backwards"
- 7 Kansas City to Bonaire
- 8 KLM is unfair to vegetarians!
- 9 Stopvers Using UA Miles
- 10 Any experience with #Mobile Passport?
- 11 Confused on Seeing AA Upgrades
- 12 Madrid airport transfer from T4S to T1:Avianca to Egypt Air
- 13 Sleeping pills for long haul flights
- 14 Airline Benefits: How does PTO work?
- 15 What Would You Do re Connection Time
- 16 depart to london the earliest in the morning
- 17 American vs United
- 18 Flying on AA into Sicily
- 19 Anyone used webjet.com?
- 20 Your experience with Interjet
- 21 Changing name on return Delta ticket
- 22 American Airlines....thank you!
- 23 Ryanair targets families
- 24 Instant Cold Compress and TSA
- 25 If the UK has exited the EU by next summer....