For seasoned United travelers my story may be old news, but it was a rude awakening to me. I sent the below complaint to United. Their response - perhaps not surprisingly - was "tough luck".
I would like to register a complaint about a recent United
flight. On Saturday April 23 I (along with my family) were on flight 967
from Rome to Dulles. The names and FF numbers for the passengers
Note that John and Bridget are young children.
The night prior to the flight I checked in on-line.
To my surprise there were exactly 4 seats available in the Economy
seating area. These seats were scattered around the cabin not near to
each other at all. I selected those seats with the intention of fixing
the issue when I arrived at the airport.
The next morning I spoke to
the gate agent at the Rome airport. She indicated to me that the only
way to seat us together is if the 4 of us upgraded to economy plus
seating. I paid the fee (I don't recall what the Euro charge was but
it shows up as $455.49 on my credit card statement). We were as signed
three seats together and a separate fourth seat one row behind. I was
annoyed to discover that none of the 4 seats were aisle seats all were
At this point I was annoyed, but I was just going to chalk
it up as a lesson learned. I didn*t get really upset until I talked to
the people in the seats around us. It turns out the one person to my
left and the couple to my right were all sitting in Economy plus without
paying for it. They got bumped up to economy plus. This was EXTREAMLY
aggravating. It was especially annoying with respect to the person on my
left because he had the superior aisle seat.
This experience left
me with a very negative impression of United. I essentially feel like I
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Is 8 months too early to buy and international plane ticket?
- 2 El Salvador plane change
- 3 Norwegian Airlines through Expedia
- 4 1st RTW- cheapest place to start?
- 5 Shopping duty Free On Board versus On Ground
- 6 United and ANA
- 7 How much time do I need to switch planes in CDG
- 8 Travel with iPad on International Flight
- 9 Newark Terminal Transfer
- 10 Best time to buy tix on Southwest
- 11 Redeeming Miles with a Capital One Card
- 12 Free Stopovers in Europe, flying from NYC?
- 13 Best/worst airlines for traveling with pets?
- 14 Porter or Air Canada?
- 15 Going through security with herbs?
- 16 Help me get award tickets using variety of points
- 17 Foot Rests? China Airlines Premium Economy Experiences ??
- 18 Chocolates in carry on allowed?
- 19 Is it safe to put a laptop in a carry on suitcase?
- 20 Booking with airline vs. Orbitz or Priceline
- 21 What can be done if one date is wrong?
- 22 West Coast USA>France routes
- 23 Excellent Experience on Singapore Airlines Long Haul cattle class
- 24 Domestic to Int'l at JFK
- 25 Help!