I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
International-domestic connection at LAX -- what's best?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Comparing Business Class Experience: AA, USAir International
- 2 Review of Air France Premium Economy
- 3 Booked on United with codes share to Europe/No seat reservation allowed
- 4 Getting bumped from Premium Economy on Delta/KLM
- 5 Lufthansa Intra-Europe Travel: How strict on hand baggage?
- 6 Airfare to Italy
- 7 Booking a United award in Lufthansa premium economy: Is it possible?
- 8 Alitalia
- 9 Around the World Fare on OneWorld?
- 10 Layover in the airport
- 11 Bringing in Bali coffee to Brunei and UK.
- 12 Any difference between Air NZ Business Class seats, 777-300, 787?
- 13 AA Downgrading from 777's to 767's on DFW-FRA Route
- 14 San Jose Costa Rica to Havana Cuba
- 15 British Air Miles - Household Account Question
- 16 US Airways schedule changes
- 17 Confusing Lufthansa Carry On Weight Restrictions
- 18 use of united skylounge if flying a different airline
- 19 Need Advice on EU 261--contact Lufthansa or United for compensation?
- 20 Crease on passport ID page
- 21 Beware of Bravofly
- 22 never fly LIAT
- 23 JetBlue Amex card
- 24 21 hour layover in Doha?
- 25 Any input on recent KLM Premium Economy?