I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 (U S) AOL Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h SUPPORT
- 2 Is 8 months too early to buy and international plane ticket?
- 3 1st RTW- cheapest place to start?
- 4 Shopping duty Free On Board versus On Ground
- 5 United and ANA
- 6 How much time do I need to switch planes in CDG
- 7 Travel with iPad on International Flight
- 8 Newark Terminal Transfer
- 9 Best time to buy tix on Southwest
- 10 Redeeming Miles with a Capital One Card
- 11 Free Stopovers in Europe, flying from NYC?
- 12 Best/worst airlines for traveling with pets?
- 13 Porter or Air Canada?
- 14 Going through security with herbs?
- 15 Help me get award tickets using variety of points
- 16 Foot Rests? China Airlines Premium Economy Experiences ??
- 17 Chocolates in carry on allowed?
- 18 Is it safe to put a laptop in a carry on suitcase?
- 19 Booking with airline vs. Orbitz or Priceline
- 20 What can be done if one date is wrong?
- 21 West Coast USA>France routes
- 22 Excellent Experience on Singapore Airlines Long Haul cattle class
- 23 Domestic to Int'l at JFK
- 24 Help!
- 25 Scandanivian Airlines