I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 I miss USAirways
- 2 Major revisions to AAdvantage frequent flyer program
- 3 BA Seat Selection
- 4 layovers and luggage
- 5 AA First class LAX to NRT
- 6 Southwest "Honors" the Military
- 7 Alitalia - Carry on luggage?
- 8 Flying from US with a prearranged VOA for Vietnam
- 9 Bravofly now doing an old scam again?
- 10 Asiana Business class SEA-ICN; Thai Air business class ICN-BKK
- 11 Any experience with #Mobile Passport?
- 12 Short layovers doable from Seattle to Peru?
- 13 Mileage Expiration
- 14 List of fares from MCI
- 15 China Airlines (the one with the pink flower symbol)
- 16 Orbitz? FlightHub? Cheapoair?
- 17 Qatar Airways - Terrible Customer Service
- 18 Hong Kong Air vs China Eastern?
- 19 Istanbul (Sabiha Gökçen) to Frankfurt–Turkish Airlines–Business Class
- 20 Is there a way to track my personal flight travel history?
- 21 Traveling to Dubai for first time
- 22 Business class for honeymoon from Seattle to Paris
- 23 Setting up a flight
- 24 Interesting piece on why and how airlines are making you miserable
- 25 Brussels or Austrian Airlines?