I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 No US Flights Using BA Avios
- 2 London to DC through JFK
- 3 What happens to all those empty "Economy Plus" seats?
- 4 13 hrs. in Korea
- 5 Airlines Under Scrutiny
- 6 JFK and killing time during layover
- 7 Smaller carry on bag sizes coming?
- 8 Cooler as checked luggage?
- 9 Atlanta to Rome to Marseille
- 10 Jet Blue starts charging for first checked bag
- 11 HELP PLEASE
- 12 Wizz Air-thoughts?
- 13 My horrible experience with Bravofly, Singapore Airport and Xiamen Airlines
- 14 Cheapest Airline BNA-ATL
- 15 My name on my passport is spelt different to my airline ticket.
- 16 immigration
- 17 Boston-Istanbul via Turkish Air
- 18 Luggage mysteries
- 19 Can we use a UA club one-time pass if we're flying a different airline?
- 20 Very early morning transporation to OAK
- 21 Air France New Business Class Seats -- question!
- 22 West Coast to Czech, best flight choices
- 23 Is Bravofly A Scam?
- 24 Heathrow Customs - Connection different airline
- 25 Requesting compensation for delayed flight under EU 261/2004