I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 American award travel to Europe
- 2 Booked Lufthansa/United via Expedia - worried about seat reservation
- 3 Turkish Airlines to fly to Miami
- 4 Worried my mother won't be able to fly!
- 5 Going to Canada.
- 6 Carryon allowances for US flights...have they changed?
- 7 ATL, nice cafe outside secure zone
- 8 Help Please: From JFK to 5th Avenue?
- 9 Have to cancel Delta award tix - best to resched. or back into account?
- 10 Keep Skymiles tix for Euro segments or buy cheap alternative?
- 11 Which terminal at Heathrow will TAP fly into?
- 12 Around the World Fare on OneWorld?
- 13 Connecting Flights in Heathrow
- 14 Review of Air France Premium Economy
- 15 Ticketed Name entered incorrectly. Help……
- 16 Fiesta time flying Avianca,Miami to Bue
- 17 United starts offering free beer and wine Internationally
- 18 Orbitz Booking Error
- 19 What to expect at customs
- 20 ORBITZ SITE -PROBLEMs Contacting Customer Service
- 21 Separate connecting flights at CDG under 3 hours apart - sufficient?
- 22 Air Berlin
- 23 EDI to Heathrow
- 24 Istanbul ataturk airport visa required?
- 25 53 minute layover in el salvador!