I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Number 1 (800) 273 3602 Emirates Airlines International Flight Number
- 2 From Riyadh, (KSA) to London, (UK)
- 3 Air Berlin flight rebooking fiasco
- 4 Hypothetical question
- 5 How Many Stamps in Your Passport?
- 6 AA Aadvantage Website is Making Me CRAZY!!!
- 7 First time traveler in need of serious advices
- 8 Is it worth looking into a travel agent for booking flights?
- 9 Bravofly issue
- 10 Connecting through Pearson (Europe-USA) on 2 tickets
- 11 BA strike through August! Should I book alternate flights?
- 12 AC Montreal-FCO: scheduling train to Florence
- 13 American Airlines to SAS
- 14 Suggestion for travel agent just to book flights?
- 15 Solo trip to Spain ..then on to London on own???
- 16 Best time to buy tix on Southwest
- 17 2017 World's Top 100 Airlines Identified
- 18 JFK-LHR-Athens. How much time is needed at Heathrow?
- 19 procedure to get tourist visa to austria for Indian
- 20 Long flight tips and entertainment
- 21 Separate tickets with only carry ons -- do I have to go through customs?
- 22 Norwegian Airlines in Chicago
- 23 How much time do I need to switch planes in CDG
- 24 UA Mileage FF Changes
- 25 Travel with iPad on International Flight