I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Ditching second and third legs on a one-way ticket
- 2 Layover information
- 3 Reviews of Aer Lingus
- 4 British Airways/Expedia Disaster
- 5 Can I upgrade on Alitalia if I'm on a Delta codeshare ticket?
- 6 British Airways will enforce carryon rules?
- 7 Singapore to Frankfurt – Singapore Airlines – Business Class
- 8 Air Canada compensation for delayed flight?
- 9 No US Flights Using BA Avios
- 10 Boeing 787
- 11 Lufthansa and United mileage Plus Card
- 12 Small seats - big passengers
- 13 Travel to London/Paris/Rome
- 14 Connection in AMS from Delta to KLM
- 15 Swapped name-surname on ticket
- 16 A mini-trip for Global Entry Interview
- 17 Oversized carryon
- 18 Air travel within Europe.
- 19 United ticket (016), Lufthansa flights, NO miles?
- 20 United Club Heathrow
- 21 1 hour 20 min layover in London is it doable?
- 22 Air France business class- which flights have flat beds?
- 23 problems flying SAS to Copenhagen August?
- 24 Air France Premium Economy Worth it?
- 25 Air France 027 flat bed business seats in fall, old seats summer?