I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 South"worst" - yet again it disappoints.
- 2 British Airways will enforce carryon rules?
- 3 Extra time for customs from Quebec to denver
- 4 One-way award travel: are there drawbacks?
- 5 Air France Seat Assignment Question
- 6 Connection Time from the US to CPT from JNB?
- 7 Watch: Passengers learns that plane might have to ditch in Pacific
- 8 1 hour 20 min layover in London is it doable?
- 9 Long late night layover Dubai (Emirates)
- 10 Airline alliance and alliance carrier brand
- 11 Showers at LHR's Terminal 5
- 12 air canada flight times
- 13 Do you check for a flights on time statistics before you choose your flights?
- 14 Bangkok to Varanasi
- 15 Air France Premium Economy Worth it?
- 16 Denied boarding due to visa requirements for Italy
- 17 San Francisco to Rome what is the best layover?
- 18 No US Flights Using BA Avios
- 19 Rome Airport Terminal 3 Fire
- 20 Where does a US citizen go thru customs Italy to Toronto?
- 21 Baggage Charges/British Air/Vueling
- 22 A mini-trip for Global Entry Interview
- 23 Luggage transfers
- 24 Making connections in Amsterdam
- 25 United Club Heathrow