I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
International-domestic connection at LAX -- what's best?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 When to book?
- 2 Help me choose a flight - connection times in Paris
- 3 NYC to Hawaii...best way to go?
- 4 I have never flown Ryanair
- 5 KLM - I think not!
- 6 Downside to Orbitz?
- 7 Booked on United with codes share to Europe/No seat reservation allowed
- 8 US customs pre clearance
- 9 Getting bumped from Premium Economy on Delta/KLM
- 10 Coach on United 767-400
- 11 Lie flat Business Class seats SYD - HKG
- 12 Beware of Bravofly
- 13 Air Travel - Iceland - London - Ireland (What lag time to take in between?)
- 14 Layover quetsion Dubai and Frankfurt
- 15 Review of Air France Premium Economy
- 16 Asiana. Biz seats
- 17 luggage lockers in Dubai
- 18 Cathay Pacific- Asia miles sign up fee
- 19 How to contact Vueling from US
- 20 Travelers Insurance
- 21 How strict is Aer Lingus carry on policy?
- 22 Cathay Pacific (HKG-BKK and reverse) in biz
- 23 Bringing in Bali coffee to Brunei and UK.
- 24 Airside lounges at HKG: recommendations?
- 25 Layover in the airport