I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Anyone familiar with clearme.com?
- 2 Domestic/International Connection SFO
- 3 Dreamliner and altitude sickness
- 4 CDG transit time
- 5 Exchanging seats with a basketball player
- 6 Ryanair
- 7 Transfer time to flight to US, LHR Term 3
- 8 Transit time at JFK from T4 to T1
- 9 A horror story about Justfly
- 10 How does luggage go to the wrong place?
- 11 Security lines at IAD
- 12 restaurants at the Albuquerque sunport
- 13 small claims court for travel website (orbitz)
- 14 Tipping Flight Attendants??? Is this the new norm?
- 15 Soutwest Airlines Terms
- 16 Day of the week for the best price
- 17 Slightly Damaged Passport
- 18 LAX T4 and Bradley Int'l connector
- 19 how long to allocate for TSA in Dallas
- 20 Flight review – American Airlines Los Angeles to Sydney – Business Class
- 21 Expired Canadian PR card
- 22 TAP Miami to Nice
- 23 2 hours layover
- 24 10 hous in Hong Kong airport - what to do?
- 25 Feedback re; long term Parking..Sacramento