I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
International-domestic connection at LAX -- what's best?
- 1 Buy real and fake passports , Id cards.Contact:Uniqueproducers@hotmail.com
- 2 Changing Airlines at LAX, could use some advice
- 3 Flights to the USA from Paris or London
- 4 California to Bangkok
- 5 Protein Powder and Security?
- 6 85 minute stopover in JFK T8
- 7 Asthma and Perfume on a Plane
- 8 Is Jetstar Australia the worst airline for customer service contact?
- 9 AA's new website
- 10 Humidifier on flight
- 11 Turkish Airlines
- 12 Best website for cheap Europe flights
- 13 Anyone used webjet.com?
- 14 Southwest's Locations within Nashville, TN airport
- 15 EuropeByAir.com what is your experience with them?
- 16 American Airlines Chicago to Rome
- 17 Finn Air
- 18 finnair delhi helsinki
- 19 Have you ever checked in Canvas Zippered Tote
- 20 Worries about a LAX - SEA - KIX trip
- 21 Flying the new TACA via Central America to Peru
- 22 LGA or Newark for ongoing flight arriving into JFK
- 23 London Heathrow Arrivals
- 24 Yippeee - SW showing up in Kayak searches!
- 25 AA to add seats on planes