I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
International-domestic connection at LAX -- what's best?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Survey concerning the boarding and deboarding process on regular flights
- 2 Booking flights, but only taking one of them
- 3 Anyone know anything about JetnSave?
- 4 Travelers Insurance
- 5 Layover in the airport
- 6 Manchester vs London flights from the US
- 7 flying Phoenix to JFK to Rome on honeymoon...Where do we clear customs?
- 8 Global Entry Program and TSA PreCheck Question
- 9 Booked on United with codes share to Europe/No seat reservation allowed
- 10 JetBlue Amex card
- 11 Around the World Fare on OneWorld?
- 12 Best premium economy to Europe
- 13 Premium economy--timing of purchase
- 14 Shortened connection time at FCO
- 15 never fly LIAT
- 16 Anyone used webjet.com?
- 17 Ryan air carry on personal items
- 18 best time to purchase ticket
- 19 Sleeping on airplanes (in cattle class)
- 20 Upgrading econ to biz on United
- 21 Check your contract and don't get cancer
- 22 Help: Airfare to Madrid has skyrocketed - why?
- 23 Hiw Much Time to get Thru Customs & Immigration at IAH
- 24 help booking w Ryan air
- 25 Tickets Gdansk-London-Lisbon - anybody need?