I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
International-domestic connection at LAX -- what's best?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Air canada checking correct VISA
- 2 Health and Safety for time left sitting on the tarmac.
- 3 Do we need a 3 hour layover at DFW if coming from overseas?
- 4 Anyone used webjet.com?
- 5 TAP Portuguese Air
- 6 Which One World Airline to Use: American, Cathay Pacific, JAL?
- 7 90 minute change at heathrow terminal 5
- 8 Unsealed pills ok for airlines?
- 9 Delta has changed my flight three times (so far)!
- 10 redeeming dividend miles
- 11 Keeping AA miles alive
- 12 Taxis at CDG......
- 13 why hasnt price of airfare dropped?
- 14 United/Lufthansa code share--can't reserve seats until departure??????
- 15 KLM stinks
- 16 Driver's License Expired and TSA
- 17 The beggining of the end of Airbus A380?
- 18 Gimpy Geezer and Wife Fly Air France A380 Premium Economy from DC to Europe
- 19 Please help: Singapore to Tahiti to Hawaii to Singapore
- 20 Name on passport differs from air ticket
- 21 Korean Air Executive Resigns Post After Halting Flight Over Snack Service
- 22 To select a seat or not>
- 23 Using half of a RT ticket
- 24 United Flight- Houston/Tokyo
- 25 what if we do not continue flight?