I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
International-domestic connection at LAX -- what's best?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 UNITED Airlines does not recognize Star Alliance Gold Status Benefits
- 2 Wedding is a very important thing
- 3 Layover Time
- 4 Best Time to Buy II: The Domestic Question
- 5 Delta in Amsterdam
- 6 Beware of Bravofly
- 7 AA FF Miles to Europe and Asia
- 8 Turkish Airlines in the UK
- 9 Recent experience with TSA pre-check
- 10 International flight to domestic connection at Atlanta Airport
- 11 Has anyone had experience with Iflybusiness.com?
- 12 airlines drop fares on tues or wed.
- 13 Baggage and two separate tickets
- 14 When to buy tickets
- 15 Business class discounted brokers. Fly with class.com
- 16 Toronto Airport - Sheraton Gateway Hotel for a long layover?
- 17 TSA hand wipe
- 18 Delta question?
- 19 Layover in London
- 20 AAdvantage DevAAluation
- 21 Transit in Dubai Airport Terminal 3
- 22 British Air or Air France
- 23 Connectiing in CDG good or bad?
- 24 Please help with Delta miles
- 25 How is Verling Airllibes?