I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
International-domestic connection at LAX -- what's best?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Which Address on Luggage Tag?
- 2 TSA pre-check, what a joke!
- 3 TSA PreCheck - did not apply but boarding pass indicated
- 4 Do any airlines allow smoking on board?
- 5 airlines recommendation from the USA to Hong Kong
- 6 Cant get seats on united codeshare
- 7 Beware of Bravofly
- 8 Transferring air carriers and luggage?
- 9 Not Re-checking luggage at Port of Entry
- 10 American 757 Economy: Renovated Interiors...?
- 11 TSA hand wipe
- 12 "Cabin max" backpacks
- 13 A mini-trip for Global Entry Interview
- 14 What to do about Travelguard denied insurance claim? please help
- 15 Saddle seats - coming to airbus soon
- 16 Avoid Alpha Flight Guru or be stranded somewhere and pay the price!
- 17 United flight reservation change
- 18 Amst-Spain - enough time to leave the airport?
- 19 economy plus seating on United Flights
- 20 Codeshares
- 21 First point if entry in USA
- 22 Help need about onward trabel
- 23 Missing middle name in system -- orbitz refuses to refund
- 24 Jacob Ng Community
- 25 Need Advice: Germany in October Prices