I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Does a OneWorld Explorer ticket make sense?
- 2 Global Entry advice
- 3 Fly Royal Jordanian BKK to HKG?
- 4 The Big Black X at U.S. Immigration
- 5 TXL or FRA?
- 6 Please tell me about RyanAir and EasyJet
- 7 Norwegian Airlines through Expedia
- 8 Overnight Layover at LaGuardia
- 9 Istanbul Airport is Horrible
- 10 Need Advice about Ticket Price Drop
- 11 Thomas Cook Airlines PREMIUM ECONOMY from JFK-MAN return - WORTH IT?
- 12 Beach Ball headrest?
- 13 compensation for loosing a bag
- 14 Cancelling an AA miles ticket
- 15 RTW Routing Guidance
- 16 JFK or EWR?
- 17 Transit time at Narita, Tokyo. Is 1h 5m do-able?
- 18 Best Premium Economy to Copenhagen from DTW
- 19 Virgin Vs. Delta BOS-LHR
- 20 Gifting AA miles
- 21 How do I book AA award flights using two different account numbers?
- 22 WOW paying for an assigned seat!
- 23 March, One World award travel, Boston to Rome
- 24 Buying Tickets in Canada Instead of US Due to Exchange Rate?
- 25 Is Alitalia that bad?