I'm thinking about booking a ticket that requires an international-domestic connection at LAX. The connection time is about 2.5 hours. According to flightstats, 10% of that international flight were more than 45 minutes late over the last 2 months, and the longest delay was about 2 hours.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'll miss the connection.
What would be best?
(1) Book the ticket on Expedia anyway and take a chance.
My understanding, though, is that if there's a delay, then I'm not really covered, as I've booked with Expedia and not the airline directly. This is no different from booking two tickets.
(2) If indeed I have no protection by booking on Expedia, then I can book the international legs on the airline directly and a one-way from LAX for about $100 cheaper than Expedia.
If I miss the connection, then I'm out of luck.
(3) Book the international segment. Use AA miles for the domestic flight.
What would happen if I miss the connection? My understanding is that AA will rebook me on the next flight if I use miles. Is this understanding correct?
(4) I could go with (1) or (2) and use miles if I miss my connection. Unless the flight I want is completely sold out, I can always use miles if I'm willing to spend the highest level of miles.
It looks like the miles option (3) is the safest, while (1) or (2) is fine if I want to save my miles and there's still a backup plan. Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on what I should do?
International-domestic connection at LAX -- what's best?
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 When to book a companion ticket on BA?
- 2 Flying Air Canada: Frankfurt-Toronto-Houston
- 3 "The airport has no ballast - you have to get off"
- 4 Anyone used webjet.com?
- 5 SAS Airlines from SFO to CDG
- 6 Taxes and carrier-imposed fees - EXORBITANT!
- 7 How to get to JFK from Connecticut without driving
- 8 Booked on United with codes share to Europe/No seat reservation allowed
- 9 upgrading flights
- 10 Carryon allowances for US flights...have they changed?
- 11 Airfare for direct flight from Boston (BOS) to Paris (CDG) in April
- 12 SFO-ORD-BRU: 40 minutes changeover at ORD??
- 13 Any advice for flying on Spirit to Guatemala?
- 14 Hiw Much Time to get Thru Customs & Immigration at IAH
- 15 Kayak monthly search feature gone?
- 16 Manchester vs London flights from the US
- 17 Int. min time for connection @ ORD
- 18 can you suggest items for "care kit" for first time flyer?
- 19 Questions re. connecting in Toronto for a Europe flight
- 20 Sharing an excellent experience
- 21 Tiger Airways--Is it Really that Bad?
- 22 Fly home from Maldives or Mumbai?
- 23 Checked bag allowance for International travel
- 24 Air Canada - Vancouver-Montreal-QuebecCity
- 25 Gimpy Geezer and Wife Fly Air France A380 Premium Economy from DC to Europe