I'm flying home in a couple days, and I'm wondering about the best way to carry a very fragile souvenir back. Thing is, it's in a box that won't fit in either my checked bag (which I wouldn't put it in anyway) or my carry-on (which is a laptop bag). I was thinking of either taking a plastic shopping bag or getting one of those "reusable/green" shopping bags and putting both my camera bag and the souvenir box in it. Would they let that pass at the airport? Or do you recommend I get a get a "legit" backpack or large purse of some kind?
(FYI, both the souvenir box and camera bag will fit under the seat; I'm concerned about the airline considering them as two separate "personal items" and not allowing them both, so I figured I'd find a way to stuff them in one bag. I was also considering just carrying the souvenir box, but I was afraid of it getting dropped. I thought it would be easier to carry inside another bag.)
Any ideas? Should I just cough up the money for a backpack or large purse (I figured that would be a waste because I'd never use it again)?
Fragile Souvenir Advice
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 What to pack in your "personal item" for an overseas flight
- 2 Half Empty Airliner
- 3 Sleeping pills for long haul flights
- 4 AA or BA to OSL
- 5 Non Refundable Tickets
- 6 Scarcity of award travel in July on United Airlines
- 7 Singapore Airlines vs Emirates
- 8 A Entire Area Blocked Off?
- 9 AA and USair
- 10 Multi-city pricing and strategy
- 11 Ailine security- a strange question
- 12 Paris-London-Dublin
- 13 Orbitz or Cheaptickets or Priceline via Kayak?
- 14 Should I purchase now?
- 15 Flight not always appearing on United website
- 16 Curious...ORD to NAN
- 17 Not showing up for a connecting flight - to tell or not to tell?
- 18 Duty Free Liquor
- 19 Visas and flight diversions
- 20 United to enforce carry-on size limits
- 21 definition of internationl "secure" area with international airports
- 22 Beware of Bravofly
- 23 Travelling with a less than pristine passport
- 24 Traveling to Germany can i carry Pickles & Sweets in the checked In Luggage
- 25 connecting flight in Frankfurt how long a layover is necessary