I purchased an airline ticket to fly from New Orleans to Rome from Alitalia. It turned out to be a code share flight on Delta. At the check-in counter with Delta, it was discovered that I had entered my name incorrectly on the ticket; I had reversed my first and last names. Delta could not correct the error because it was an Alitalia ticket, so I had to call Alitalia for help. Alitalia said I was at the airport and they could do nothing about the error. The Delta agent tried to tell Alitalia the reservation was open and a change could be made, but Alitalia refused to help. My family and I had booked a ten-day tour through Italy set to begin the next day. What to do? Delta said that I would have to purchase another ticket, and they would try to secure one for the price I had paid Alitalia. Then I could request a refund from Alitalia. By this time, over an hour had passed. These agents had no idea how to process a new ticket; I requested a supervisor but no one came. Another half hour passed and the agent was still on the phone for assistance with the ticket. My family is now at the gate; the plane is beginning to board - I am at my wit's end when one of the agents comes up with a ticket - three times the price of the original ticket. Yes, she charged me for a walk-up, same day ticket. Not knowing what else to do, I handed over my credit card. I am home now trying to deal with this. I asked Delta for an adjustment on the $2800 I was charged. They refused and offered to request a refund from Alitalia for the unused ticket. Had it been a Delta ticket, the error would have been corrected at the counter. The code share throws a wrench into the mix that no one seems to be able to deal with. It boggles the mind that I paid almost $4000 for an economy ride to Europe. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I have called and written to various departments at Delta, and I have spoken to my credit card company. I need some direction from more seasoned travelers as to how to deal with this airline.
Code Share Complication
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 upgrading flights
- 2 Manchester vs London flights from the US
- 3 Int. min time for connection @ ORD
- 4 Kayak monthly search feature gone?
- 5 Hiw Much Time to get Thru Customs & Immigration at IAH
- 6 How to get to JFK from Connecticut without driving
- 7 can you suggest items for "care kit" for first time flyer?
- 8 Questions re. connecting in Toronto for a Europe flight
- 9 Sharing an excellent experience
- 10 Tiger Airways--Is it Really that Bad?
- 11 Fly home from Maldives or Mumbai?
- 12 Checked bag allowance for International travel
- 13 Air Canada - Vancouver-Montreal-QuebecCity
- 14 Gimpy Geezer and Wife Fly Air France A380 Premium Economy from DC to Europe
- 15 Jetstar Business Class
- 16 Which site to use (or not) to book airfare
- 17 spirit airlines usa
- 18 Using AA ff miles for Asia
- 19 How far in advance to book award travel
- 20 Compensation from United Airlines for denial of boarding (involuntary)
- 21 Which airlines serve sparking mineral water to economy passengers?
- 22 Condor Airlines?
- 23 flying Phoenix to JFK to Rome on honeymoon...Where do we clear customs?
- 24 Buying two separate tickets a potential problem?
- 25 Luggage on Long Layover