I purchased an airline ticket to fly from New Orleans to Rome from Alitalia. It turned out to be a code share flight on Delta. At the check-in counter with Delta, it was discovered that I had entered my name incorrectly on the ticket; I had reversed my first and last names. Delta could not correct the error because it was an Alitalia ticket, so I had to call Alitalia for help. Alitalia said I was at the airport and they could do nothing about the error. The Delta agent tried to tell Alitalia the reservation was open and a change could be made, but Alitalia refused to help. My family and I had booked a ten-day tour through Italy set to begin the next day. What to do? Delta said that I would have to purchase another ticket, and they would try to secure one for the price I had paid Alitalia. Then I could request a refund from Alitalia. By this time, over an hour had passed. These agents had no idea how to process a new ticket; I requested a supervisor but no one came. Another half hour passed and the agent was still on the phone for assistance with the ticket. My family is now at the gate; the plane is beginning to board - I am at my wit's end when one of the agents comes up with a ticket - three times the price of the original ticket. Yes, she charged me for a walk-up, same day ticket. Not knowing what else to do, I handed over my credit card. I am home now trying to deal with this. I asked Delta for an adjustment on the $2800 I was charged. They refused and offered to request a refund from Alitalia for the unused ticket. Had it been a Delta ticket, the error would have been corrected at the counter. The code share throws a wrench into the mix that no one seems to be able to deal with. It boggles the mind that I paid almost $4000 for an economy ride to Europe. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I have called and written to various departments at Delta, and I have spoken to my credit card company. I need some direction from more seasoned travelers as to how to deal with this airline.
Code Share Complication
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Cant get seats on united codeshare
- 2 Beware of Bravofly
- 3 Which Address on Luggage Tag?
- 4 TSA pre-check, what a joke!
- 5 Do any airlines allow smoking on board?
- 6 Transferring air carriers and luggage?
- 7 Not Re-checking luggage at Port of Entry
- 8 airlines recommendation from the USA to Hong Kong
- 9 American 757 Economy: Renovated Interiors...?
- 10 TSA hand wipe
- 11 "Cabin max" backpacks
- 12 A mini-trip for Global Entry Interview
- 13 What to do about Travelguard denied insurance claim? please help
- 14 Saddle seats - coming to airbus soon
- 15 Avoid Alpha Flight Guru or be stranded somewhere and pay the price!
- 16 United flight reservation change
- 17 Amst-Spain - enough time to leave the airport?
- 18 economy plus seating on United Flights
- 19 Codeshares
- 20 First point if entry in USA
- 21 Help need about onward trabel
- 22 Missing middle name in system -- orbitz refuses to refund
- 23 Jacob Ng Community
- 24 Need Advice: Germany in October Prices
- 25 Austrian Airlines Business Class "Upgrade" - avoid