I purchased an airline ticket to fly from New Orleans to Rome from Alitalia. It turned out to be a code share flight on Delta. At the check-in counter with Delta, it was discovered that I had entered my name incorrectly on the ticket; I had reversed my first and last names. Delta could not correct the error because it was an Alitalia ticket, so I had to call Alitalia for help. Alitalia said I was at the airport and they could do nothing about the error. The Delta agent tried to tell Alitalia the reservation was open and a change could be made, but Alitalia refused to help. My family and I had booked a ten-day tour through Italy set to begin the next day. What to do? Delta said that I would have to purchase another ticket, and they would try to secure one for the price I had paid Alitalia. Then I could request a refund from Alitalia. By this time, over an hour had passed. These agents had no idea how to process a new ticket; I requested a supervisor but no one came. Another half hour passed and the agent was still on the phone for assistance with the ticket. My family is now at the gate; the plane is beginning to board - I am at my wit's end when one of the agents comes up with a ticket - three times the price of the original ticket. Yes, she charged me for a walk-up, same day ticket. Not knowing what else to do, I handed over my credit card. I am home now trying to deal with this. I asked Delta for an adjustment on the $2800 I was charged. They refused and offered to request a refund from Alitalia for the unused ticket. Had it been a Delta ticket, the error would have been corrected at the counter. The code share throws a wrench into the mix that no one seems to be able to deal with. It boggles the mind that I paid almost $4000 for an economy ride to Europe. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I have called and written to various departments at Delta, and I have spoken to my credit card company. I need some direction from more seasoned travelers as to how to deal with this airline.
Code Share Complication
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Using Award Tickets: things can be flexible at the airport...
- 2 air canada not taking responsibility and not sure where to call
- 3 Travellers Beware of Online Tricks!
- 4 Taxes and carrier-imposed fees - EXORBITANT!
- 5 Bravofly 1 click 4 all your money !
- 6 Flying from East Coast to Italy - Strategy for Cheap Flights?
- 7 Air France strike over
- 8 Transferring TBIT to Terminal 6 in LAX - lounge options?
- 9 Questions asked by CBP
- 10 Asthma and Perfume on a Plane
- 11 Buying access to airport lounges
- 12 Strange extra security ATL-DCA yesterday
- 13 Air France Pilots Strike
- 14 United Four Across in Biz Class
- 15 Which is better-Quatar or Emirates?
- 16 Air Canada - UTL flight
- 17 Using award miles, fly free but pay taxes
- 18 Europe to US destination non-stop options
- 19 Air Canada -- Emergency Row Exit
- 20 Cant get seats on united codeshare
- 21 Priority Pass - Worth It?
- 22 Air New Zealand and Virgin Australia Baggage Limits
- 23 Sleeping pills for long haul flights
- 24 787-9 Dreamliner
- 25 Turkish airline denying boarding and not fly us to final destination