I purchased an airline ticket to fly from New Orleans to Rome from Alitalia. It turned out to be a code share flight on Delta. At the check-in counter with Delta, it was discovered that I had entered my name incorrectly on the ticket; I had reversed my first and last names. Delta could not correct the error because it was an Alitalia ticket, so I had to call Alitalia for help. Alitalia said I was at the airport and they could do nothing about the error. The Delta agent tried to tell Alitalia the reservation was open and a change could be made, but Alitalia refused to help. My family and I had booked a ten-day tour through Italy set to begin the next day. What to do? Delta said that I would have to purchase another ticket, and they would try to secure one for the price I had paid Alitalia. Then I could request a refund from Alitalia. By this time, over an hour had passed. These agents had no idea how to process a new ticket; I requested a supervisor but no one came. Another half hour passed and the agent was still on the phone for assistance with the ticket. My family is now at the gate; the plane is beginning to board - I am at my wit's end when one of the agents comes up with a ticket - three times the price of the original ticket. Yes, she charged me for a walk-up, same day ticket. Not knowing what else to do, I handed over my credit card. I am home now trying to deal with this. I asked Delta for an adjustment on the $2800 I was charged. They refused and offered to request a refund from Alitalia for the unused ticket. Had it been a Delta ticket, the error would have been corrected at the counter. The code share throws a wrench into the mix that no one seems to be able to deal with. It boggles the mind that I paid almost $4000 for an economy ride to Europe. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I have called and written to various departments at Delta, and I have spoken to my credit card company. I need some direction from more seasoned travelers as to how to deal with this airline.
Code Share Complication
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Delta in Amsterdam
- 2 Beware of Bravofly
- 3 AA FF Miles to Europe and Asia
- 4 Turkish Airlines in the UK
- 5 Recent experience with TSA pre-check
- 6 International flight to domestic connection at Atlanta Airport
- 7 Has anyone had experience with Iflybusiness.com?
- 8 airlines drop fares on tues or wed.
- 9 Baggage and two separate tickets
- 10 When to buy tickets
- 11 Business class discounted brokers. Fly with class.com
- 12 Toronto Airport - Sheraton Gateway Hotel for a long layover?
- 13 TSA hand wipe
- 14 Delta question?
- 15 Layover in London
- 16 AAdvantage DevAAluation
- 17 Transit in Dubai Airport Terminal 3
- 18 British Air or Air France
- 19 Connectiing in CDG good or bad?
- 20 Please help with Delta miles
- 21 How is Verling Airllibes?
- 22 Help: Transit through Frankfurt on way to Turkey (from US)
- 23 Air fares to Europe in August
- 24 Tracking fare info
- 25 Kayak Price Alert - multicity?