I purchased an airline ticket to fly from New Orleans to Rome from Alitalia. It turned out to be a code share flight on Delta. At the check-in counter with Delta, it was discovered that I had entered my name incorrectly on the ticket; I had reversed my first and last names. Delta could not correct the error because it was an Alitalia ticket, so I had to call Alitalia for help. Alitalia said I was at the airport and they could do nothing about the error. The Delta agent tried to tell Alitalia the reservation was open and a change could be made, but Alitalia refused to help. My family and I had booked a ten-day tour through Italy set to begin the next day. What to do? Delta said that I would have to purchase another ticket, and they would try to secure one for the price I had paid Alitalia. Then I could request a refund from Alitalia. By this time, over an hour had passed. These agents had no idea how to process a new ticket; I requested a supervisor but no one came. Another half hour passed and the agent was still on the phone for assistance with the ticket. My family is now at the gate; the plane is beginning to board - I am at my wit's end when one of the agents comes up with a ticket - three times the price of the original ticket. Yes, she charged me for a walk-up, same day ticket. Not knowing what else to do, I handed over my credit card. I am home now trying to deal with this. I asked Delta for an adjustment on the $2800 I was charged. They refused and offered to request a refund from Alitalia for the unused ticket. Had it been a Delta ticket, the error would have been corrected at the counter. The code share throws a wrench into the mix that no one seems to be able to deal with. It boggles the mind that I paid almost $4000 for an economy ride to Europe. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I have called and written to various departments at Delta, and I have spoken to my credit card company. I need some direction from more seasoned travelers as to how to deal with this airline.
Code Share Complication
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Help with overhead Bins
- 2 Any helpful hints on wheelchair transports in airports?
- 3 How to reserve seats with Virgin Australia
- 4 unable to use online check in
- 5 Picking up a child during a layover
- 6 How much layover time do I need?
- 7 FRA 70 minute connection from USA -Terminal 1Gate B19-Z62
- 8 Don't fly UNITED Airlines...they are pirates
- 9 Frankfurt Airport - Lufthansa and United
- 10 Austrian Airlines Business Class "Upgrade" - avoid
- 11 Delta in Amsterdam
- 12 MAKING CONNECTION CDG - 3 HOURS
- 13 Throwing Away a Return Ticket?
- 14 Departure City Searches
- 15 International flight to domestic connection at Atlanta Airport
- 16 Layover Time
- 17 UNITED Airlines does not recognize Star Alliance Gold Status Benefits
- 18 Help: Transit through Frankfurt on way to Turkey (from US)
- 19 United Airlines
- 20 Best Time to Buy II: The Domestic Question
- 21 Beware of Bravofly
- 22 AA FF Miles to Europe and Asia
- 23 Turkish Airlines in the UK
- 24 Recent experience with TSA pre-check
- 25 Has anyone had experience with Iflybusiness.com?