I purchased an airline ticket to fly from New Orleans to Rome from Alitalia. It turned out to be a code share flight on Delta. At the check-in counter with Delta, it was discovered that I had entered my name incorrectly on the ticket; I had reversed my first and last names. Delta could not correct the error because it was an Alitalia ticket, so I had to call Alitalia for help. Alitalia said I was at the airport and they could do nothing about the error. The Delta agent tried to tell Alitalia the reservation was open and a change could be made, but Alitalia refused to help. My family and I had booked a ten-day tour through Italy set to begin the next day. What to do? Delta said that I would have to purchase another ticket, and they would try to secure one for the price I had paid Alitalia. Then I could request a refund from Alitalia. By this time, over an hour had passed. These agents had no idea how to process a new ticket; I requested a supervisor but no one came. Another half hour passed and the agent was still on the phone for assistance with the ticket. My family is now at the gate; the plane is beginning to board - I am at my wit's end when one of the agents comes up with a ticket - three times the price of the original ticket. Yes, she charged me for a walk-up, same day ticket. Not knowing what else to do, I handed over my credit card. I am home now trying to deal with this. I asked Delta for an adjustment on the $2800 I was charged. They refused and offered to request a refund from Alitalia for the unused ticket. Had it been a Delta ticket, the error would have been corrected at the counter. The code share throws a wrench into the mix that no one seems to be able to deal with. It boggles the mind that I paid almost $4000 for an economy ride to Europe. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I have called and written to various departments at Delta, and I have spoken to my credit card company. I need some direction from more seasoned travelers as to how to deal with this airline.
Code Share Complication
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Travelers Insurance
- 2 Booking flights, but only taking one of them
- 3 Layover in the airport
- 4 Manchester vs London flights from the US
- 5 flying Phoenix to JFK to Rome on honeymoon...Where do we clear customs?
- 6 Global Entry Program and TSA PreCheck Question
- 7 Booked on United with codes share to Europe/No seat reservation allowed
- 8 JetBlue Amex card
- 9 Around the World Fare on OneWorld?
- 10 Best premium economy to Europe
- 11 Premium economy--timing of purchase
- 12 Shortened connection time at FCO
- 13 never fly LIAT
- 14 Anyone used webjet.com?
- 15 Ryan air carry on personal items
- 16 best time to purchase ticket
- 17 Sleeping on airplanes (in cattle class)
- 18 Anyone know anything about JetnSave?
- 19 Upgrading econ to biz on United
- 20 Check your contract and don't get cancer
- 21 Help: Airfare to Madrid has skyrocketed - why?
- 22 Hiw Much Time to get Thru Customs & Immigration at IAH
- 23 help booking w Ryan air
- 24 Tickets Gdansk-London-Lisbon - anybody need?
- 25 When to book a companion ticket on BA?