I purchased an airline ticket to fly from New Orleans to Rome from Alitalia. It turned out to be a code share flight on Delta. At the check-in counter with Delta, it was discovered that I had entered my name incorrectly on the ticket; I had reversed my first and last names. Delta could not correct the error because it was an Alitalia ticket, so I had to call Alitalia for help. Alitalia said I was at the airport and they could do nothing about the error. The Delta agent tried to tell Alitalia the reservation was open and a change could be made, but Alitalia refused to help. My family and I had booked a ten-day tour through Italy set to begin the next day. What to do? Delta said that I would have to purchase another ticket, and they would try to secure one for the price I had paid Alitalia. Then I could request a refund from Alitalia. By this time, over an hour had passed. These agents had no idea how to process a new ticket; I requested a supervisor but no one came. Another half hour passed and the agent was still on the phone for assistance with the ticket. My family is now at the gate; the plane is beginning to board - I am at my wit's end when one of the agents comes up with a ticket - three times the price of the original ticket. Yes, she charged me for a walk-up, same day ticket. Not knowing what else to do, I handed over my credit card. I am home now trying to deal with this. I asked Delta for an adjustment on the $2800 I was charged. They refused and offered to request a refund from Alitalia for the unused ticket. Had it been a Delta ticket, the error would have been corrected at the counter. The code share throws a wrench into the mix that no one seems to be able to deal with. It boggles the mind that I paid almost $4000 for an economy ride to Europe. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I have called and written to various departments at Delta, and I have spoken to my credit card company. I need some direction from more seasoned travelers as to how to deal with this airline.
Code Share Complication
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 The life of lost luggage
- 2 Getting bumped from Premium Economy on Delta/KLM
- 3 I have never flown Ryanair
- 4 Austrian Air Budapest Vienna Vienna Dubrovnik
- 5 International Connecting Flights
- 6 Open Skies, La Compagnie, and XL Airways
- 7 Which terminal at newark?
- 8 Booked on United with codes share to Europe/No seat reservation allowed
- 9 French Riv to Marbella : sky-tours
- 10 New Orleans to Beijing
- 11 USAir/AA - December flight
- 12 Coach on United 767-400
- 13 Help me choose a flight - connection times in Paris
- 14 When to book?
- 15 NYC to Hawaii...best way to go?
- 16 KLM - I think not!
- 17 Downside to Orbitz?
- 18 US customs pre clearance
- 19 Lie flat Business Class seats SYD - HKG
- 20 Beware of Bravofly
- 21 Air Travel - Iceland - London - Ireland (What lag time to take in between?)
- 22 Layover quetsion Dubai and Frankfurt
- 23 Review of Air France Premium Economy
- 24 Asiana. Biz seats
- 25 luggage lockers in Dubai