For the last 10 years or so, I haven't done any international travel that required airline tickets. I am wondering if any of you will be willing to offer advice in getting the best price.
A little background: I am looking at various vacation homes and only need the flight to get there (for 2, the others on the trip can book for themselves). This is probably the nature of the beast, but it seems like we will need to book a house in advance, hoping that there will be decent pricing on the airfare at some point.
Right now I am leaning towards a house in the Dominican Republic, but have looked at some on Grand Bahama, as well. The "back up option" is possibly to book in the Florida Keys.
I am located near Harrisburg, PA, and usually fly out of BWI (except for the rare occasions that our home airport was actually cheaper). Any of the surrounding airports that can be reached within a few hours are options depending on the amount of savings.
The house I would really prefer to rent is near Puerto Plata, and provides pickup service from there, but I am not sure about the other airports on the island.
I have read that booking around 6 weeks out is best, but have no corroboration on it. Some people swear by Jetblue (and the like), but a preliminary search did not show much difference this far out.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Caribbean travel in March (cheap flights?)
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Sleeping pills for long haul flights
- 2 What to pack in your "personal item" for an overseas flight
- 3 Half Empty Airliner
- 4 AA or BA to OSL
- 5 Non Refundable Tickets
- 6 Scarcity of award travel in July on United Airlines
- 7 Singapore Airlines vs Emirates
- 8 A Entire Area Blocked Off?
- 9 AA and USair
- 10 Multi-city pricing and strategy
- 11 Ailine security- a strange question
- 12 Paris-London-Dublin
- 13 Orbitz or Cheaptickets or Priceline via Kayak?
- 14 Should I purchase now?
- 15 Flight not always appearing on United website
- 16 Curious...ORD to NAN
- 17 Not showing up for a connecting flight - to tell or not to tell?
- 18 Duty Free Liquor
- 19 Visas and flight diversions
- 20 United to enforce carry-on size limits
- 21 definition of internationl "secure" area with international airports
- 22 Beware of Bravofly
- 23 Travelling with a less than pristine passport
- 24 Traveling to Germany can i carry Pickles & Sweets in the checked In Luggage
- 25 connecting flight in Frankfurt how long a layover is necessary