For the last 10 years or so, I haven't done any international travel that required airline tickets. I am wondering if any of you will be willing to offer advice in getting the best price.
A little background: I am looking at various vacation homes and only need the flight to get there (for 2, the others on the trip can book for themselves). This is probably the nature of the beast, but it seems like we will need to book a house in advance, hoping that there will be decent pricing on the airfare at some point.
Right now I am leaning towards a house in the Dominican Republic, but have looked at some on Grand Bahama, as well. The "back up option" is possibly to book in the Florida Keys.
I am located near Harrisburg, PA, and usually fly out of BWI (except for the rare occasions that our home airport was actually cheaper). Any of the surrounding airports that can be reached within a few hours are options depending on the amount of savings.
The house I would really prefer to rent is near Puerto Plata, and provides pickup service from there, but I am not sure about the other airports on the island.
I have read that booking around 6 weeks out is best, but have no corroboration on it. Some people swear by Jetblue (and the like), but a preliminary search did not show much difference this far out.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Question about dropping ORD-YYZ leg of HNL-ORD-YYZ
- 2 Is buying from a 3rd party site a good idea?
- 3 Cheaper to buy plane ticket in Canada instead of US?
- 4 Is 8 months too early to buy and international plane ticket?
- 5 Best time to buy tix on Southwest
- 6 Shopping duty Free On Board versus On Ground
- 7 Traveling abroad with gift box as carry-on?
- 8 Travel with iPad on International Flight
- 9 El Salvador plane change
- 10 Norwegian Airlines through Expedia
- 11 1st RTW- cheapest place to start?
- 12 United and ANA
- 13 How much time do I need to switch planes in CDG
- 14 Newark Terminal Transfer
- 15 Redeeming Miles with a Capital One Card
- 16 Free Stopovers in Europe, flying from NYC?
- 17 Best/worst airlines for traveling with pets?
- 18 Porter or Air Canada?
- 19 Going through security with herbs?
- 20 Help me get award tickets using variety of points
- 21 Foot Rests? China Airlines Premium Economy Experiences ??
- 22 Chocolates in carry on allowed?
- 23 Is it safe to put a laptop in a carry on suitcase?
- 24 Booking with airline vs. Orbitz or Priceline
- 25 What can be done if one date is wrong?