For the last 10 years or so, I haven't done any international travel that required airline tickets. I am wondering if any of you will be willing to offer advice in getting the best price.
A little background: I am looking at various vacation homes and only need the flight to get there (for 2, the others on the trip can book for themselves). This is probably the nature of the beast, but it seems like we will need to book a house in advance, hoping that there will be decent pricing on the airfare at some point.
Right now I am leaning towards a house in the Dominican Republic, but have looked at some on Grand Bahama, as well. The "back up option" is possibly to book in the Florida Keys.
I am located near Harrisburg, PA, and usually fly out of BWI (except for the rare occasions that our home airport was actually cheaper). Any of the surrounding airports that can be reached within a few hours are options depending on the amount of savings.
The house I would really prefer to rent is near Puerto Plata, and provides pickup service from there, but I am not sure about the other airports on the island.
I have read that booking around 6 weeks out is best, but have no corroboration on it. Some people swear by Jetblue (and the like), but a preliminary search did not show much difference this far out.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Zurich Airport
- 2 Norwegian Airlines, price too good to be true?
- 3 JFK to EWR
- 4 Best ideas to pack in your carry on?
- 5 Do I have to change terminals in Zurich?
- 6 Around the World Fare on OneWorld?
- 7 Flying "Backwards"
- 8 Kansas City to Bonaire
- 9 KLM is unfair to vegetarians!
- 10 Stopvers Using UA Miles
- 11 Any experience with #Mobile Passport?
- 12 Confused on Seeing AA Upgrades
- 13 Madrid airport transfer from T4S to T1:Avianca to Egypt Air
- 14 Sleeping pills for long haul flights
- 15 Airline Benefits: How does PTO work?
- 16 What Would You Do re Connection Time
- 17 depart to london the earliest in the morning
- 18 American vs United
- 19 Flying on AA into Sicily
- 20 Anyone used webjet.com?
- 21 Your experience with Interjet
- 22 Changing name on return Delta ticket
- 23 American Airlines....thank you!
- 24 Ryanair targets families
- 25 Instant Cold Compress and TSA