For the last 10 years or so, I haven't done any international travel that required airline tickets. I am wondering if any of you will be willing to offer advice in getting the best price.
A little background: I am looking at various vacation homes and only need the flight to get there (for 2, the others on the trip can book for themselves). This is probably the nature of the beast, but it seems like we will need to book a house in advance, hoping that there will be decent pricing on the airfare at some point.
Right now I am leaning towards a house in the Dominican Republic, but have looked at some on Grand Bahama, as well. The "back up option" is possibly to book in the Florida Keys.
I am located near Harrisburg, PA, and usually fly out of BWI (except for the rare occasions that our home airport was actually cheaper). Any of the surrounding airports that can be reached within a few hours are options depending on the amount of savings.
The house I would really prefer to rent is near Puerto Plata, and provides pickup service from there, but I am not sure about the other airports on the island.
I have read that booking around 6 weeks out is best, but have no corroboration on it. Some people swear by Jetblue (and the like), but a preliminary search did not show much difference this far out.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Caribbean travel in March (cheap flights?)
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Oxford to Athens and back to London
- 2 Time needed between flights?
- 3 The beggining of the end of Airbus A380?
- 4 Air canada checking correct VISA
- 5 Health and Safety for time left sitting on the tarmac.
- 6 Using a "Fake" Location for Better Flight Prices???
- 7 Do we need a 3 hour layover at DFW if coming from overseas?
- 8 Anyone used webjet.com?
- 9 TAP Portuguese Air
- 10 Which One World Airline to Use: American, Cathay Pacific, JAL?
- 11 90 minute change at heathrow terminal 5
- 12 Unsealed pills ok for airlines?
- 13 Delta has changed my flight three times (so far)!
- 14 redeeming dividend miles
- 15 Keeping AA miles alive
- 16 Taxis at CDG......
- 17 why hasnt price of airfare dropped?
- 18 United/Lufthansa code share--can't reserve seats until departure??????
- 19 KLM stinks
- 20 Driver's License Expired and TSA
- 21 Gimpy Geezer and Wife Fly Air France A380 Premium Economy from DC to Europe
- 22 Please help: Singapore to Tahiti to Hawaii to Singapore
- 23 Name on passport differs from air ticket
- 24 Korean Air Executive Resigns Post After Halting Flight Over Snack Service
- 25 To select a seat or not>