I was slightly shocked to learn this morning that I could not get a reward flight on American Airlines (including its AAdvantage partners) to either Copenhagen or Stockholm during the first week of August 2012 (to return roughly 3 weeks later). Okay, feel free to call me naive but I thought flexibility on dates and cities, not to mention calling 9 months in advance would land me some seats! (American doesn't fly to either city themselves, and seems to primarily partner with British Airways, so obviously that complicates things.) The American representative had no advice beyond "call again" in terms of when flights might become available, if ever.
Do any of you good people have suggestions or strategies for using American frequent flyer miles to get to these cities (or Oslo), including insights into when seats currently being held might become available? Because my two school age daughters are coming with, we are pretty much limited to August. WHILE I AM LIMITED TO AMERICAN MILES, I SUSPECT THE GENERAL STRATEGIES FOR GETTING POPULAR TICKETS ON TRAVEL PARTNERS MAY BE SIMILAR FROM AIRLINE TO AIRLINE.
We would be most grateful for any advice -- I'm looking to do the trip as a graduation present for my eldest daughter, but with college impending we can't really afford to purchase the tickets.
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Medication Sleep Aid for 30+ Hours Travel
- 2 Flight from Athens to Santorini?
- 3 Transferring in Beijing to Hong Kong
- 4 Getting Global entry interview appointment
- 5 Miami Airport-clearing customs question
- 6 What should I know about flying Southwest?
- 7 Heathrow: Can I make it?
- 8 Atlanta Immigration & Customs
- 9 Renewal of Global Entry
- 10 IAD connection time of 1 hour 5 minutes for flight to Copenhagen.
- 11 More cheap transatlantic flights coming
- 12 Complimentary upgrades on Delta with companion
- 13 Do you get miles with upgraded Econ. fare
- 14 UA New (?) Economy Class Fare
- 15 Ideas for stop over from MAUI to BOS
- 16 Wedding + Honeymoon (Toronto / Sao Paulo / Male)
- 17 Documents for E-tickets?
- 18 Qantas A380 vs 744 in economy
- 19 Enough time
- 20 Flight Review – Vancouver to Hong Kong – Air Canada – Business Class
- 21 American Airines - Bad plane going; No plane coming back
- 22 Fare searches with flexible dates.
- 23 BA economy premiun seats
- 24 BA not to fly to serve anymore.
- 25 JFK Time Between Terminals?
Best strategy for booking reward ticket to Scandinavia for Aug 2012