I was slightly shocked to learn this morning that I could not get a reward flight on American Airlines (including its AAdvantage partners) to either Copenhagen or Stockholm during the first week of August 2012 (to return roughly 3 weeks later). Okay, feel free to call me naive but I thought flexibility on dates and cities, not to mention calling 9 months in advance would land me some seats! (American doesn't fly to either city themselves, and seems to primarily partner with British Airways, so obviously that complicates things.) The American representative had no advice beyond "call again" in terms of when flights might become available, if ever.
Do any of you good people have suggestions or strategies for using American frequent flyer miles to get to these cities (or Oslo), including insights into when seats currently being held might become available? Because my two school age daughters are coming with, we are pretty much limited to August. WHILE I AM LIMITED TO AMERICAN MILES, I SUSPECT THE GENERAL STRATEGIES FOR GETTING POPULAR TICKETS ON TRAVEL PARTNERS MAY BE SIMILAR FROM AIRLINE TO AIRLINE.
We would be most grateful for any advice -- I'm looking to do the trip as a graduation present for my eldest daughter, but with college impending we can't really afford to purchase the tickets.
Best strategy for booking reward ticket to Scandinavia for Aug 2012
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Best Airline for Trip to Istanbul
- 2 What to pack in your "personal item" for an overseas flight
- 3 Visas and flight diversions
- 4 Singapore Airlines vs Emirates
- 5 Sleeping pills for long haul flights
- 6 Half Empty Airliner
- 7 AA or BA to OSL
- 8 Non Refundable Tickets
- 9 Scarcity of award travel in July on United Airlines
- 10 A Entire Area Blocked Off?
- 11 AA and USair
- 12 Multi-city pricing and strategy
- 13 Ailine security- a strange question
- 14 Paris-London-Dublin
- 15 Orbitz or Cheaptickets or Priceline via Kayak?
- 16 Should I purchase now?
- 17 Flight not always appearing on United website
- 18 Curious...ORD to NAN
- 19 Not showing up for a connecting flight - to tell or not to tell?
- 20 Duty Free Liquor
- 21 United to enforce carry-on size limits
- 22 definition of internationl "secure" area with international airports
- 23 Beware of Bravofly
- 24 Travelling with a less than pristine passport
- 25 Traveling to Germany can i carry Pickles & Sweets in the checked In Luggage