I was slightly shocked to learn this morning that I could not get a reward flight on American Airlines (including its AAdvantage partners) to either Copenhagen or Stockholm during the first week of August 2012 (to return roughly 3 weeks later). Okay, feel free to call me naive but I thought flexibility on dates and cities, not to mention calling 9 months in advance would land me some seats! (American doesn't fly to either city themselves, and seems to primarily partner with British Airways, so obviously that complicates things.) The American representative had no advice beyond "call again" in terms of when flights might become available, if ever.
Do any of you good people have suggestions or strategies for using American frequent flyer miles to get to these cities (or Oslo), including insights into when seats currently being held might become available? Because my two school age daughters are coming with, we are pretty much limited to August. WHILE I AM LIMITED TO AMERICAN MILES, I SUSPECT THE GENERAL STRATEGIES FOR GETTING POPULAR TICKETS ON TRAVEL PARTNERS MAY BE SIMILAR FROM AIRLINE TO AIRLINE.
We would be most grateful for any advice -- I'm looking to do the trip as a graduation present for my eldest daughter, but with college impending we can't really afford to purchase the tickets.
Best strategy for booking reward ticket to Scandinavia for Aug 2012
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Layover Time
- 2 Delta in Amsterdam
- 3 Beware of Bravofly
- 4 AA FF Miles to Europe and Asia
- 5 Turkish Airlines in the UK
- 6 Recent experience with TSA pre-check
- 7 International flight to domestic connection at Atlanta Airport
- 8 Has anyone had experience with Iflybusiness.com?
- 9 airlines drop fares on tues or wed.
- 10 Baggage and two separate tickets
- 11 When to buy tickets
- 12 Business class discounted brokers. Fly with class.com
- 13 Toronto Airport - Sheraton Gateway Hotel for a long layover?
- 14 TSA hand wipe
- 15 Delta question?
- 16 Layover in London
- 17 AAdvantage DevAAluation
- 18 Transit in Dubai Airport Terminal 3
- 19 British Air or Air France
- 20 Connectiing in CDG good or bad?
- 21 Please help with Delta miles
- 22 How is Verling Airllibes?
- 23 Help: Transit through Frankfurt on way to Turkey (from US)
- 24 Air fares to Europe in August
- 25 Tracking fare info