I was slightly shocked to learn this morning that I could not get a reward flight on American Airlines (including its AAdvantage partners) to either Copenhagen or Stockholm during the first week of August 2012 (to return roughly 3 weeks later). Okay, feel free to call me naive but I thought flexibility on dates and cities, not to mention calling 9 months in advance would land me some seats! (American doesn't fly to either city themselves, and seems to primarily partner with British Airways, so obviously that complicates things.) The American representative had no advice beyond "call again" in terms of when flights might become available, if ever.
Do any of you good people have suggestions or strategies for using American frequent flyer miles to get to these cities (or Oslo), including insights into when seats currently being held might become available? Because my two school age daughters are coming with, we are pretty much limited to August. WHILE I AM LIMITED TO AMERICAN MILES, I SUSPECT THE GENERAL STRATEGIES FOR GETTING POPULAR TICKETS ON TRAVEL PARTNERS MAY BE SIMILAR FROM AIRLINE TO AIRLINE.
We would be most grateful for any advice -- I'm looking to do the trip as a graduation present for my eldest daughter, but with college impending we can't really afford to purchase the tickets.
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Number 1 (800) 273 3602 Emirates Airlines International Flight Number
- 2 From Riyadh, (KSA) to London, (UK)
- 3 Air Berlin flight rebooking fiasco
- 4 Hypothetical question
- 5 How Many Stamps in Your Passport?
- 6 AA Aadvantage Website is Making Me CRAZY!!!
- 7 First time traveler in need of serious advices
- 8 Is it worth looking into a travel agent for booking flights?
- 9 Bravofly issue
- 10 Connecting through Pearson (Europe-USA) on 2 tickets
- 11 BA strike through August! Should I book alternate flights?
- 12 AC Montreal-FCO: scheduling train to Florence
- 13 American Airlines to SAS
- 14 Suggestion for travel agent just to book flights?
- 15 Solo trip to Spain ..then on to London on own???
- 16 Best time to buy tix on Southwest
- 17 2017 World's Top 100 Airlines Identified
- 18 JFK-LHR-Athens. How much time is needed at Heathrow?
- 19 procedure to get tourist visa to austria for Indian
- 20 Long flight tips and entertainment
- 21 Separate tickets with only carry ons -- do I have to go through customs?
- 22 Norwegian Airlines in Chicago
- 23 How much time do I need to switch planes in CDG
- 24 UA Mileage FF Changes
- 25 Travel with iPad on International Flight
Best strategy for booking reward ticket to Scandinavia for Aug 2012