I am interested in advice any of you may have on the following matter: a couple months ago, I flew into Frankfurt from the US with the intent to connect on to Tel Aviv. When I checked in from the US, I received boarding passes for both flights. My layover in Frankfurt was brief (1 hour) and my flight from the US was delayed such that we got in only 30 minutes prior to the Frankfurt-Tel Aviv flight. Somewhat miraculously and running faster than I have in a long time, I arrived at the gate for the flight to Tel Aviv 20 minutes prior to the original departure time (it turned out the flight was delayed 20 minutes so I got their 40 minutes prior to the actual departure time). The last bits of boarding were still ongoing but when I presented my boarding pass, they advised me that I could not board because they had already given away my seat. However much I complained, they told me that I was not authorized to board.
I wrote to Lufthansa to complain and they said that since I had a connection time of less than 1 hour due to the delay of the incoming flight, they were allowed to rebook me and that I could not seek any damages from them (EU regulations provide for damages in the amount of up to 600 Euros for involuntarily being denied boarding).
Does anybody have any experience with anything like this? If I wanted to pursue Lufthansa in small claims court in the US, could I do so citing the EU Regulation or is that entirely inapplicable (even though it's cited in Lufthansa's General Conditions of Carriage). Any incite would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 DELL@ printer Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Technical SUPP0RT Care*
- 2 Is 8 months too early to buy and international plane ticket?
- 3 1st RTW- cheapest place to start?
- 4 Shopping duty Free On Board versus On Ground
- 5 United and ANA
- 6 How much time do I need to switch planes in CDG
- 7 Travel with iPad on International Flight
- 8 Newark Terminal Transfer
- 9 Best time to buy tix on Southwest
- 10 Redeeming Miles with a Capital One Card
- 11 Free Stopovers in Europe, flying from NYC?
- 12 Best/worst airlines for traveling with pets?
- 13 Porter or Air Canada?
- 14 Going through security with herbs?
- 15 Help me get award tickets using variety of points
- 16 Foot Rests? China Airlines Premium Economy Experiences ??
- 17 Chocolates in carry on allowed?
- 18 Is it safe to put a laptop in a carry on suitcase?
- 19 Booking with airline vs. Orbitz or Priceline
- 20 What can be done if one date is wrong?
- 21 West Coast USA>France routes
- 22 Excellent Experience on Singapore Airlines Long Haul cattle class
- 23 Domestic to Int'l at JFK
- 24 Help!
- 25 Scandanivian Airlines