I don't post here very often, but just had to tell you all about the N/an ku se lodge and wildlife sanctuary in Namibia. I spent 4 weeks there in January as a working volunteer. Prior to my visit to the sanctuary, all my other visits to Africa had been Safaris. I wanted to give something back this time.
They say a picture speaks a 1000 words, so here are links to some of the photos taken during my stay. Although posted on facebook, you don't need a face book account to view them.
It was an incredible experience. Everyone was so friendly and worked together really well. Its ideal if you are travelling alone, or with a friend or partner. Whilst I was there, the age range of the volunteers was 18 to 55. Whilst there are a lot of english volunteers, whilst I was there there were volunteers from USA, Germany, Brazil and France.
If you want to get up close to the big cats, sleep with baby baboons a help with conservation and are happy to do some manual work as well-helping build new enclosures, clean water holes, repair fences etc, this could be the destination for you. In addition, you also help school for the bushman children
semi tame cheetahs
moving the lions and cheetahs
Caracals, leopards, wild dogs and lions
The web address for the santuary is
If anyone wants to know more about my experience there, just ask.
Wildlife sanctuary-fantastic experience
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 UAE Desert Safari
- 2 Serengeti Photo Safari - April 2015
- 3 Where to go after visit to Uganda in late March/early April
- 4 A month in Africa - how to spend the time
- 5 Now is the Time fo Egypt...
- 6 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015
- 7 South Africa in February?
- 8 best camera for semi-novice for safari in tanzania & kenya (nikon p500)
- 9 Egypt: Suggestions for what to do afternoon around Giza
- 10 Riad Saturday Night vs. Riad Dar El Janoub
- 11 Dubai first time
- 12 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 13 Zambia Impressions
- 14 Taste of Dubai
- 15 Morocco floods - areas affected
- 16 Zanzibar - from a resident's perspective
- 17 Magnificent wedding in the Masai Mara
- 18 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 19 Travel Report for Malawi - A Great Place To Relax
- 20 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 21 Comments on Botswana itinerary with Wilderness Travel
- 22 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 23 Mauritius September 2015 - Silver Beach Resort or Emeraude Beach Attitude?
- 24 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 25 Where to spend extra night; Merzouga or Skoura?