I don't post here very often, but just had to tell you all about the N/an ku se lodge and wildlife sanctuary in Namibia. I spent 4 weeks there in January as a working volunteer. Prior to my visit to the sanctuary, all my other visits to Africa had been Safaris. I wanted to give something back this time.
They say a picture speaks a 1000 words, so here are links to some of the photos taken during my stay. Although posted on facebook, you don't need a face book account to view them.
It was an incredible experience. Everyone was so friendly and worked together really well. Its ideal if you are travelling alone, or with a friend or partner. Whilst I was there, the age range of the volunteers was 18 to 55. Whilst there are a lot of english volunteers, whilst I was there there were volunteers from USA, Germany, Brazil and France.
If you want to get up close to the big cats, sleep with baby baboons a help with conservation and are happy to do some manual work as well-helping build new enclosures, clean water holes, repair fences etc, this could be the destination for you. In addition, you also help school for the bushman children
semi tame cheetahs
moving the lions and cheetahs
Caracals, leopards, wild dogs and lions
The web address for the santuary is
If anyone wants to know more about my experience there, just ask.
Wildlife sanctuary-fantastic experience
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Morocco on the road: trip report
- 2 Looking for out of the way places
- 3 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 4 Help: 4 days, 3 nights in (or our of) Johannesburg
- 5 February vs March in Tanzania - Dueling Trip Reports
- 6 Tanzania Safari
- 7 Kenya and Tanzania Trip Planning Help
- 8 Sabi Sands camps
- 9 AHLA Tanzania Mt. Kilimanjaro & Safari 4 days
- 10 Maldives, Seychelles or Mauritius??
- 11 trip report, morocco
- 12 Photos from Sept 2013 Safari to Uganda
- 13 Seeking Itinerary Routing for 3 week SA Trip
- 14 16 Days in South Africa (Victoria Falls, Zimbawe & Botswana)
- 15 First Time in Israel Tour Suggestions
- 16 East Africa summer 2014
- 17 Cape Town Safety?
- 18 first time family safari in August 2014
- 19 BOTSWANA - Maun (Okavango) to Chobe - 4x4 self drive...
- 20 Memory cards for camera
- 21 Self Drive SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe - help, 4x4 hire/border restrictions
- 22 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 23 London to Tel aviv What to expect at BG /Trans to Tel aviv / booking.com
- 24 place to sleep near airport for a 6 hour layover .. switching airports
- 25 Help with Rwanda trip