I'm looking to tap into the collective wisdom and advice of the forum. We are a retired couple and would like to plan a 2015 safari.
We have been on just one safari three years ago and absolutely loved the whole experience. We traveled with another couple and spent 20 days at various national parks in Tanzania: Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Mahale, Katavi, Ruaha, and Tarangire. For the most part, we flew from one place to another. With the exception of overnight lodge stays at the Crater and Tarangire, we stayed in tented camps. We were very pleased with everything: the camps, the guides, the game drives, and the flora and fauna. Our hope would be to duplicate that experience but also experience another part of Africa.
In no particular order, we've set the following parameters:
1. Lodges and/or tented camps would be fine.
2. No real desire to self-drive.
3. Prefer to go in 2- or 4-customer vehicles on game drives.
4. Would like to be able to include pre-dawn and/or post-dusk game drives.
5. Prefer for game drives to be able to go "off-road", as opposed to the requirement to stay on the "roads" in the Tanzania NPs.
6. Would like to see more leopards and cheetahs; don't need to see any more hippos.
7. Three weeks maximum, not including travel time to/from Africa.
8. No desire to go Kenya, for personal safety concerns.
As yet, we know virtually nothing about South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, or Namibia, but I think that our next trip will probably include [some of] these.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer as we begin our research and planning.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Affidavit document for sole parent traveling to SA with child
- 2 Help plan African Safari
- 3 Trip Insurance for Africa Trip
- 4 Help planning a first safari on a budget?
- 5 Tipping on Safari
- 6 Trip Report: South Africa & Namibia April 28 – May 14
- 7 Cape Town
- 8 Widerness Lodges
- 9 THE PANORAMA ROUTE
- 10 Amazing 40th Anniversary Celebration in South Africa
- 11 Cape Town -safety
- 12 NBO Airport Transfer?
- 13 SA itin review
- 14 Botswana safari in late November
- 15 Ferry to Morocco
- 16 Thinking About Africa...Again!
- 17 Dubai (DXB) - New Business Lounges
- 18 Morocco 8 nights Dec trip ideas
- 19 Aug 17 Botswana itinerary help
- 20 Southern Africa, 2 weeks, 10 passport stamps!!
- 21 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 22 Do no use Sunrise Eco Tours - Rwanda\Uganda
- 23 Safe to Travel to Morocco
- 24 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 25 Fuerteventura: SS America (SS American Star)