I'm looking to tap into the collective wisdom and advice of the forum. We are a retired couple and would like to plan a 2015 safari.
We have been on just one safari three years ago and absolutely loved the whole experience. We traveled with another couple and spent 20 days at various national parks in Tanzania: Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Mahale, Katavi, Ruaha, and Tarangire. For the most part, we flew from one place to another. With the exception of overnight lodge stays at the Crater and Tarangire, we stayed in tented camps. We were very pleased with everything: the camps, the guides, the game drives, and the flora and fauna. Our hope would be to duplicate that experience but also experience another part of Africa.
In no particular order, we've set the following parameters:
1. Lodges and/or tented camps would be fine.
2. No real desire to self-drive.
3. Prefer to go in 2- or 4-customer vehicles on game drives.
4. Would like to be able to include pre-dawn and/or post-dusk game drives.
5. Prefer for game drives to be able to go "off-road", as opposed to the requirement to stay on the "roads" in the Tanzania NPs.
6. Would like to see more leopards and cheetahs; don't need to see any more hippos.
7. Three weeks maximum, not including travel time to/from Africa.
8. No desire to go Kenya, for personal safety concerns.
As yet, we know virtually nothing about South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, or Namibia, but I think that our next trip will probably include [some of] these.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer as we begin our research and planning.
Where, oh where?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 [UGANDA] Selected Budget and MidRange Tour Operators.
- 2 Back from 26 Days in the Falkland Islands - Happy to answer any questions
- 3 Need to Chose Camp in Botswana ASAP!
- 4 Skywards voucher - Dubai airport
- 5 Question about UK outlet adapters & taps
- 6 Johannesburg
- 7 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 8 Rental cars in Cape Town
- 9 Transiting through Cairo
- 10 Help: 4 days, 3 nights in (or our of) Johannesburg
- 11 South Africa in February?
- 12 Info for those considering gorilla trekking in Rwanda
- 13 KwaZulu Natal and Kruger - sort of a Trip Report
- 14 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 15 Trip Insurance - a must?
- 16 Car Rentals in Israel
- 17 Dubai for New Years Eve - Fireworks, Itinerary
- 18 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 19 Morocco to portugal
- 20 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 21 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 22 Uganda or Rwanda 2015
- 23 Independence Day in Israel
- 24 Drinking on safari
- 25 Fodor's 100 Hotel Award Winners