Below is a recount of our memorable experience in Kenya last month.
On day 1 we were met on at the Nairobi apt and transferred to the Panafric hotel, located slightly outside the noisy city center, in a leafy and serene area with beautiful views of downtown Nairobi.
Day 2 morning tour of Karen Blixen. After lunch we visited the Nairobi Museum and the Arboretum. Diner at the famous Nairobi Carnivore restaurant, renowned for its succulent steaks, including exotic meat.
On day 3 after an early breakfast we left for Masai Mara, checked in at the Mara Sopa lodge, perched on a hill with panoramic views over the plains. After lunch our driver-guide, Juma resumes the steering and leads us on a fantastic game viewing session where we luckily spotted 3 of the big five (lion, elephant and buffalo).
Day 4 was entirely spent on game spotting in this sprawling game reserve. We saw a leopard just after its kill, struggling to lift a Grants gazelle up a sausage tree. It was a very exhilarating moment! This added the 4th one to the big five list. All meals (fresh from the lodge’s farm) and overnight in the Mara Sopa lodge.
Day 5: After breakfast we drove to Lake Nakuru, down the awe-inspiring Rift Valley Escarpment. Game drive on entering the park. Checked in for lunch at the Lake Nakuru lodge, overlooking the lake. Afternoon was spent game driving around the lake and in the park. Thousands of flamingos and other aquatic birds are in abundance. It’s here where we completed our list of the big five when we spotted 5 rhinos in different parts of the park (2 males, 2 females and a baby).
Day 6: Early breakfast and we departed for Amboseli national park, with lunch at the Palacina hotel. Game driving as we entered the park. Animal sightings en route include giraffes, camels, ostriches, many ungulates… This is really elephant country, as they are scattered all over, especially around the swamps. Diner and overnight was at the Kibo safari camp, facing Mt. Kilimanjaro, the rooftop of Africa. . .
Day 7: Early breakfast and into the park for game drive. The whole morning we were exploring this magnificent park, with Kilimanjaro as the backdrop, wonderful sights. Back to the lodge for lunch and then headed for Tsavo West national park. Game drive as we entered the park, en route to Ngulia safari lodge, perched on top of Ngulia Hills. Diner and overnight.
On day 8, we had our breakfast and headed for Mombasa, with a visit to the Mzima Springs, where we viewed families of tens of hippos, as well as tilapia fish through an underground glass-bottomed tunnel. We continued to Mombasa, arriving in the evening at our hotel, Travellers beach, on the beautiful sandy beach of north coast. Diner and overnight.
Day 9 was spent enjoying the hotel facilities and the beach. Diner and overnight.
Day 10: Our driver-guide arranged a tour of Furaha Phonex Orphanage home to learn what this wonderful organization is doing to give these unfortunate children a second chance. Inspiring charity. We took school supplies, (pens, pencils, books, etc.) and boys’ clothing and really enjoyed sharing them out.
Day 11: Our guide conducted us on a Mombasa tour, including a visit to the Akamba Handicraft, the largest woodcarving factory in East Africa. We returned to our hotel for late lunch.
Day 12: After breakfast we lazed around the beach before our transfer to Mombasa airport around midday.
This is our wonderful experience in Kenya organized by a local company, Maracom Adventure, which we can recommend without any reservations.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Lower Zambezi vs. Northern So. Luangwa
- 2 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 3 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 4 Other than car rental how to get to Kruger from Johannesburg?
- 5 nearby game lodge from Johannesburg
- 6 Safari in South Africa
- 7 City Day guides and Sahara adventure
- 8 November Safari Help: Botswana or Kruger?
- 9 Safari in Kruger National Park
- 10 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 11 Sabi Sands Savanna Private Reserve vs Timbavati Motswari Game Lodge
- 12 Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe and Zambia) - Travel Report
- 13 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 14 Straight through to Kenya or layover?
- 15 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 16 Advise on Hotel stay and attractions visit in Casablanca
- 17 Experience of using Namibia Tracks and Trails
- 18 Transfer time at JNB Intl. airport
- 19 Sabi Sands areavs Motswari Timbavati area
- 20 Kilimanjaro Tour Operators
- 21 Egypt in 6 days itinerary - please advise
- 22 Going to Israel end of October. Maybe silly, but what shoes to bring?
- 23 Advice on private tour Morocco
- 24 Where are the best safaris in Africa?
- 25 Wilson airport transfer to NBO