I will be doing my very first visit to kruger coming October '14 and just wanted to get some input on the current itinerary!
My partner and I will be flying into JNB around 2pm, hence we plan to stay the night at Johannesburg. The next morning we will make our way to Kruger.
After much reading up online and checking our many many lodges, we will be spending
- 2 nights at Africa on Foot as the walking safari appeals to me,
- 2 nights at Shindzela and
- lastly 2 nights at Skukuza (because Lower Sabie is no longer available and this area according to research has the highest likelihood of game viewing disregarding personal luck)
On our last day at Kruger we would be flying to port elizabeth (transit at JNB) from Hoedspruit to take a drive down the garden route to cape town.
Just some questions:
1) we are thinking of taking the road transfer from JNB airport as mentioned by AOF. Has anyone taken that and can comment on the comfort level of the transfer? Alternatively we may choose to take a flight instead. Still open to both options.
2) Transferring from Shindzela to Skukuza, I will have a car (our driving friends will meet us at shindzela), however is this drive feasible? the recommended driving time on the sanparks website is 5h35m from Orpen gate. Should I pick another camp instead?
3) For Kruger to port elisabeth, I cannot find any direct flight. There is only a flight to JNB followed by a separate flight to PLZ. Is there any other option?
4) On our last day before we fly to port elizabeth, we would like to take a short visit to blyde river canyon. Is this feasible or recommended? Or should we just forgo that in lieu of more time within the park before our flight?
5) Oh and how would the weather be like in mid october? What kind of clothes should we wear?
We are super excited for this trip, and would love to hear from you any feedback about our plans!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Two Nights in Tangiers
- 2 Widerness Lodges
- 3 Timbavati or Klaserie Game Lodge Options
- 4 Trip Report: South Africa & Namibia April 28 – May 14
- 5 Affidavit document for sole parent traveling to SA with child
- 6 Nairobi, where to stay
- 7 Help plan African Safari
- 8 Trip Insurance for Africa Trip
- 9 Help planning a first safari on a budget?
- 10 Tipping on Safari
- 11 Cape Town
- 12 THE PANORAMA ROUTE
- 13 Amazing 40th Anniversary Celebration in South Africa
- 14 Cape Town -safety
- 15 NBO Airport Transfer?
- 16 SA itin review
- 17 Botswana safari in late November
- 18 Ferry to Morocco
- 19 Thinking About Africa...Again!
- 20 Dubai (DXB) - New Business Lounges
- 21 Morocco 8 nights Dec trip ideas
- 22 Aug 17 Botswana itinerary help
- 23 Southern Africa, 2 weeks, 10 passport stamps!!
- 24 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 25 Do no use Sunrise Eco Tours - Rwanda\Uganda