Having decided last year that our big trip this year was Japan we've decided in the last few weeks that the Rand exchange rate is too good to miss and we've changed it to South Africa - it will be my second trip (last one was 30 years ago though) and partners first. It's a place that's been on our list for a long time. I'm now playing catch up with my trip planning though.
We leave 22 October and we were going to spend a couple of nights at Victoria Falls and then after a couple of nights back in Johannesburg spend the bulk of our 3 weeks in Cape Town with a side trip along the Garden Route and back on the R62 with a couple of nights in Franschhoek.
My question is given we would be at Victoria Falls at the end of October is the small amount of water at the falls as a result of the time of year and the drought going to be worth it? Money is also a consideration. We can't afford top end hotels (we try to have an average night spend on accommodation of $150) and my research so far suggests flights will be over $500 each (£350/R7750) and a decent hotel $200 a night. It all seems a lot of bucks for not many bangs.
I know this is very subjective but I'd be very interested in people's opinions.
Thanks very much
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Itinerary Help - South Africa
- 2 Itinerary Input for Northern Israel with Kids
- 3 2 Trips to Uganda: my experience
- 4 Private Guide for Cairo
- 5 African Safari/BeachTrip possible in 2 weeks?
- 6 Zimbabwe - Game Viewing in Hwange and Mana Pools?
- 7 Texting from US to Israel
- 8 Itinerary Ideas
- 9 Son of Cecil shot by trophy hunter in Hwange
- 10 Once again last minute short trip to South Africa
- 11 recommendations for first Africa safari?
- 12 Lamu Island or Diani Beach
- 13 Skip Victoria Falls for more Cape Town?
- 14 first family kenyan safari trip report
- 15 Dubai for 3 Days (2 nights)
- 16 Naukluft Hiking Trail travel companions wanted
- 17 Passport pages stuck together
- 18 Self drive tour south africa
- 19 Packing for a month in Southern Africa
- 20 Tanzania-An organized trip or on our own?
- 21 Flight to italy then To Romani
- 22 Minor Children & Birth Certificates?
- 23 Duba activities - help deciding
- 24 Eilat
- 25 recommendations for AI islands