Having decided last year that our big trip this year was Japan we've decided in the last few weeks that the Rand exchange rate is too good to miss and we've changed it to South Africa - it will be my second trip (last one was 30 years ago though) and partners first. It's a place that's been on our list for a long time. I'm now playing catch up with my trip planning though.
We leave 22 October and we were going to spend a couple of nights at Victoria Falls and then after a couple of nights back in Johannesburg spend the bulk of our 3 weeks in Cape Town with a side trip along the Garden Route and back on the R62 with a couple of nights in Franschhoek.
My question is given we would be at Victoria Falls at the end of October is the small amount of water at the falls as a result of the time of year and the drought going to be worth it? Money is also a consideration. We can't afford top end hotels (we try to have an average night spend on accommodation of $150) and my research so far suggests flights will be over $500 each (£350/R7750) and a decent hotel $200 a night. It all seems a lot of bucks for not many bangs.
I know this is very subjective but I'd be very interested in people's opinions.
Thanks very much
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Isreal
- 2 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 3 First Time Safari Help...Use a tour or not?
- 4 FODOR'S GUIDE TO CLOTHING FOR SAFARI
- 5 Binocular rentals
- 6 Namibia: any suggestion for a 3 weeks self drive roundtrip?
- 7 Marrakech
- 8 Trip Report Kenya 9 Days With Family
- 9 Dead Sea day trip
- 10 Victoria and Albert Cape Town renovation status
- 11 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 12 Advice please: family SA safari August 2018
- 13 Kenya Visa Requirements/Fake Visa Site
- 14 Wayo Africa (Tanzania) Green Camps
- 15 Non Marlaia Africa or Brazil?
- 16 Itinerary Ideas
- 17 South Africa - Guidebook recommendation and other ??
- 18 Travel to Botswana
- 19 Iran travel itinerary -18 days April 2017
- 20 Loldia House Kenya
- 21 Kenya - Plastic Bags
- 22 gamer reserve, lodge, safari camp recommendations
- 23 South Africa visit: Cape Town and Kruger Park
- 24 several short safaris vs one longer one
- 25 How many Days for the Okavango Delta