Well the decision has been made that we will take our first safari around end of August beginning of Sept. 2010 probably for two to three weeks.
I have been reading many reports etc. here and am somewhat overwhelmed as to what exactly to do so thought I would post for suggestions.
We are a family of two adults and two girls who will be 17 & 13 at time of travel. My wife is a biology teacher and has had a life long dream of seeing the mountain gorillas so this has definately to be on our itinery. After that is where I am getting bogged down trying to decide. On the one hand I would love to see (from what I have read) the migration somewhere, Ngorongoro Crater (albeit some people do seem to think it is overcrowded), Kilimanjaro, Okovango Delta, Serengeti etc. etc and on the other I have read Kenya is great for 'newbies'
My girls are concerned at catching the sleeping sickness from TseTse flies and my wife is concerned that a safari may be 'too much' for the kids at this age. My one daughter is also almost paranoic about creepy crawly flying things that 'buzz' her.
I think I would go for a private safari over a group safari if budget allows (we are reckoning with around $25-30000 for the whole trip - is this feasable?) again based on my readings.
We do not want to be in mobile camping but do not need to have absolute luxury either. We would like a few days R & R at the end of the holiday.
These are my current parameters for working out what to do so I would very much appreciate any tips/suggestions or any pointers to good sites/threads I may not have seen.
Thanks in advance
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tanzania vs. Botswana
- 2 Amazing 40th Anniversary Celebration in South Africa
- 3 Morocco Questions
- 4 Swartberg Pass or not?
- 5 Botswana in January
- 6 FloShuttle. from Ben Gurion airport
- 7 Help please! Port Elizabeth/Addo Elephant
- 8 Activities to Keep the Kids Entertained in Dubai
- 9 Rhino Africa - Reviews
- 10 Last-minute South Africa advice?
- 11 Help me plan a family safari for three generations!
- 12 Planning & Strategy for 1st African Safari - Early July 2017
- 13 Southern Africa, 2 weeks, 10 passport stamps!!
- 14 Done with tourist activity/ two fully free solo days
- 15 2 days i n JO'burg
- 16 Victoria Falls 3 day visit from a month in SA
- 17 Timbavati or Klaserie Game Lodge Options
- 18 Jnb to Vic Falls cheap
- 19 Zambia HELP!
- 20 Israel in January
- 21 Morocco touring from Agadir
- 22 Imilchil marriage festival 2016 in Morocco
- 23 Safe to Travel to Morocco
- 24 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 25 Guidance on Single Supplement Fess