Well the decision has been made that we will take our first safari around end of August beginning of Sept. 2010 probably for two to three weeks.
I have been reading many reports etc. here and am somewhat overwhelmed as to what exactly to do so thought I would post for suggestions.
We are a family of two adults and two girls who will be 17 & 13 at time of travel. My wife is a biology teacher and has had a life long dream of seeing the mountain gorillas so this has definately to be on our itinery. After that is where I am getting bogged down trying to decide. On the one hand I would love to see (from what I have read) the migration somewhere, Ngorongoro Crater (albeit some people do seem to think it is overcrowded), Kilimanjaro, Okovango Delta, Serengeti etc. etc and on the other I have read Kenya is great for 'newbies'
My girls are concerned at catching the sleeping sickness from TseTse flies and my wife is concerned that a safari may be 'too much' for the kids at this age. My one daughter is also almost paranoic about creepy crawly flying things that 'buzz' her.
I think I would go for a private safari over a group safari if budget allows (we are reckoning with around $25-30000 for the whole trip - is this feasable?) again based on my readings.
We do not want to be in mobile camping but do not need to have absolute luxury either. We would like a few days R & R at the end of the holiday.
These are my current parameters for working out what to do so I would very much appreciate any tips/suggestions or any pointers to good sites/threads I may not have seen.
Thanks in advance
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Buy real /fake American passport
- 2 Best books to read before Morocco visit? (not guide books)
- 3 5 Interesting Nigerian Marriage Traditions
- 4 4 Nigerian Foods with Foreign Origins
- 5 refers to the problem of connecting
- 6 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 7 Cerebral X:-Elevated concentration
- 8 4th Safari with Warrior Trails in 2016
- 9 Shimba Hills Mombasa Kenya Would This Works As A Day Trip From A Cruise?
- 10 Lady Liuwa no more !!
- 11 4 Interesting African Traditional Wedding Customs
- 12 Gamewatchers are great for helping plan
- 13 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 14 Women's wear for Dubai?
- 15 Dubai Guide
- 16 Solo/female/40's US traveler req tour operator recommendations
- 17 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 18 Cape Town/ Wineland Tour
- 19 Bush plane luggage (again)
- 20 Loldia House Kenya
- 21 rekero and encounter mara vehicles
- 22 Alexandria
- 23 kicheche compared to porini
- 24 best bag to get for fly in safari in kenya
- 25 Planning Tanzania trip-how many months?