Well the decision has been made that we will take our first safari around end of August beginning of Sept. 2010 probably for two to three weeks.
I have been reading many reports etc. here and am somewhat overwhelmed as to what exactly to do so thought I would post for suggestions.
We are a family of two adults and two girls who will be 17 & 13 at time of travel. My wife is a biology teacher and has had a life long dream of seeing the mountain gorillas so this has definately to be on our itinery. After that is where I am getting bogged down trying to decide. On the one hand I would love to see (from what I have read) the migration somewhere, Ngorongoro Crater (albeit some people do seem to think it is overcrowded), Kilimanjaro, Okovango Delta, Serengeti etc. etc and on the other I have read Kenya is great for 'newbies'
My girls are concerned at catching the sleeping sickness from TseTse flies and my wife is concerned that a safari may be 'too much' for the kids at this age. My one daughter is also almost paranoic about creepy crawly flying things that 'buzz' her.
I think I would go for a private safari over a group safari if budget allows (we are reckoning with around $25-30000 for the whole trip - is this feasable?) again based on my readings.
We do not want to be in mobile camping but do not need to have absolute luxury either. We would like a few days R & R at the end of the holiday.
These are my current parameters for working out what to do so I would very much appreciate any tips/suggestions or any pointers to good sites/threads I may not have seen.
Thanks in advance
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 casablanca airport taxis
- 2 Is it Possible to Buy Advance Tickets to the Hassan 2 Mosque?
- 3 Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
- 4 Now is a GREAT time to visit Egypt! (Trip Report)
- 5 Insect Repellent
- 6 Marrakech, Demnate, Essaouira on slow
- 7 First Attempt South Africa Itinerary - Advice Please
- 8 Feedback on Victoria Falls visit please
- 9 Which Would you Recommend as an Outdoor Day trip from Marrakech?-Imlil or Cascades d'Ouzod
- 10 Tiberias with kids
- 11 Lion World
- 12 Advice, please: Addo Elephant Park to Cape Town AIrport on Garden Route
- 13 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 14 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 15 Israel in April - itinerary help
- 16 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 17 Mpumalanga visit
- 18 safe areas to go on safari
- 19 Rabat opinion and prices in Rabat + video
- 20 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 21 Okavango and Kalahari in December
- 22 Victoria Falls
- 23 WOMEN DRIVING IN SA
- 24 2015: South Africa for a fortnight
- 25 TRIP REPORT – 5 fantastic weeks in South Africa, Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe) and Mauritius