Well the decision has been made that we will take our first safari around end of August beginning of Sept. 2010 probably for two to three weeks.
I have been reading many reports etc. here and am somewhat overwhelmed as to what exactly to do so thought I would post for suggestions.
We are a family of two adults and two girls who will be 17 & 13 at time of travel. My wife is a biology teacher and has had a life long dream of seeing the mountain gorillas so this has definately to be on our itinery. After that is where I am getting bogged down trying to decide. On the one hand I would love to see (from what I have read) the migration somewhere, Ngorongoro Crater (albeit some people do seem to think it is overcrowded), Kilimanjaro, Okovango Delta, Serengeti etc. etc and on the other I have read Kenya is great for 'newbies'
My girls are concerned at catching the sleeping sickness from TseTse flies and my wife is concerned that a safari may be 'too much' for the kids at this age. My one daughter is also almost paranoic about creepy crawly flying things that 'buzz' her.
I think I would go for a private safari over a group safari if budget allows (we are reckoning with around $25-30000 for the whole trip - is this feasable?) again based on my readings.
We do not want to be in mobile camping but do not need to have absolute luxury either. We would like a few days R & R at the end of the holiday.
These are my current parameters for working out what to do so I would very much appreciate any tips/suggestions or any pointers to good sites/threads I may not have seen.
Thanks in advance
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Israel for 10 days
- 2 East Africa Travel Visa - Starting in Kenya
- 3 Tanzania - first trip - many questions.
- 4 Packing for safari in South Africa (summer)
- 5 Travelling to Atlas mountains
- 6 Namibia Itinerary
- 7 name issue
- 8 First safari- what to wear? Gifts for locals?
- 9 Rental Car Rabat Airport
- 10 14-16 day visit to South Africa
- 11 experiences with African travel Resource
- 12 3 days in Jo'Burg
- 13 Madagascar suggestions
- 14 3-part Zimbabwe: Join Wild Dog Researcher, Walk Mana Pools, Canoe Zambezi
- 15 First time in Southafrica - Suggested itinerary
- 16 Seven day solo trip to Morocco
- 17 4 weeks in South Africa ideas
- 18 only private conservancies or can i add in a national park
- 19 Single traveler
- 20 Should I visit Vamizi Island again?
- 21 Liquids Restrictions - South Africa to Zimbabwe
- 22 Morocco & Spain with Kidos!
- 23 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 24 My Magical Southern African Photography Safari: A Trip Report
- 25 morocco help please