Well the decision has been made that we will take our first safari around end of August beginning of Sept. 2010 probably for two to three weeks.
I have been reading many reports etc. here and am somewhat overwhelmed as to what exactly to do so thought I would post for suggestions.
We are a family of two adults and two girls who will be 17 & 13 at time of travel. My wife is a biology teacher and has had a life long dream of seeing the mountain gorillas so this has definately to be on our itinery. After that is where I am getting bogged down trying to decide. On the one hand I would love to see (from what I have read) the migration somewhere, Ngorongoro Crater (albeit some people do seem to think it is overcrowded), Kilimanjaro, Okovango Delta, Serengeti etc. etc and on the other I have read Kenya is great for 'newbies'
My girls are concerned at catching the sleeping sickness from TseTse flies and my wife is concerned that a safari may be 'too much' for the kids at this age. My one daughter is also almost paranoic about creepy crawly flying things that 'buzz' her.
I think I would go for a private safari over a group safari if budget allows (we are reckoning with around $25-30000 for the whole trip - is this feasable?) again based on my readings.
We do not want to be in mobile camping but do not need to have absolute luxury either. We would like a few days R & R at the end of the holiday.
These are my current parameters for working out what to do so I would very much appreciate any tips/suggestions or any pointers to good sites/threads I may not have seen.
Thanks in advance
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 YAHOO password recovery CONTACT☎ 1:888:482:3831YAHOO Tec*h Supp0rt
- 2 Safari in South Africa
- 3 City Day guides and Sahara adventure
- 4 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 5 November Safari Help: Botswana or Kruger?
- 6 nearby game lodge from Johannesburg
- 7 Safari in Kruger National Park
- 8 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 9 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 10 Sabi Sands Savanna Private Reserve vs Timbavati Motswari Game Lodge
- 11 Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe and Zambia) - Travel Report
- 12 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 13 Straight through to Kenya or layover?
- 14 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 15 Advise on Hotel stay and attractions visit in Casablanca
- 16 Experience of using Namibia Tracks and Trails
- 17 Transfer time at JNB Intl. airport
- 18 Sabi Sands areavs Motswari Timbavati area
- 19 Kilimanjaro Tour Operators
- 20 Egypt in 6 days itinerary - please advise
- 21 Going to Israel end of October. Maybe silly, but what shoes to bring?
- 22 Advice on private tour Morocco
- 23 Where are the best safaris in Africa?
- 24 Wilson airport transfer to NBO
- 25 Advice traveling to Morocco as a woman with a child