some of you may still remember: Before our departure in July I promised to keep you posted about our experiences with Roy’s in Tanzania.
Having returned just two days ago I can report now that we really had a great trip, which did not only meet all our expectations, but also offered some nice surprises. In particular our request of being as secluded and “private” as possible even while travelling not very far off the beaten track was fulfilled to an almost incredibly high degree. We really did not expect to enjoy magnificent sunsets in the Serengeti being absolutely in the wild or having a campsite close to Kibo Hut for the two of us completely alone. And we enjoyed Sansibar in an environment which gave us the impression that we are the only guests on that nice island…
Our very special thanks go to Sanjay, Director Operations at Roy’s, Camilus, our bird specialist and great safari guide, and Elias, the best mountain guide which you can have on Mt. Kilimanjaro.
For those who are interested in details, please see our itinerary below and feel free to ask.
27.07: Arrival at Kilimanjaro airport in the evening, transfer and to Serena Mountain Village Hotel.
28.07: Full day at Serena Mountain Village, briefing at Roy’s in the afternoon.
29.07: Drive to Tarangire National park. Game drive in the park. Overnight at special campsite Terminalia.
30.07: Full day game drive in Tarangire. Overnight at Terminalia campsite.
31.07: Morning game drive in Tarangire, then drive to Lake Natron for dinner and overnight at Lake Natron tented camp.
01.08: At 01h00 transfer to the base of the Mt. Oldonyolengai. Climbed the summit with a local guide from Lake Natron area. In the afternoon visited the waterfall and the shore of Lake Natron with thousands of flamingoes.
02.08: Drive to Serengeti National park. Overnight at special campsite Kori.
03.08: Game drive, move on to special campsite Kibumbu (incredible sunset!).
04.08: Full day game drive in Serengeti.
05.08: Morning game drive, then transfer to Ngorongoro for dinner and overnight at Simba B special campsite.
06.08: Drive to Empakaai crater rim. With an armed ranger descended (by walking) into the crater in order to see the volcanic lake. Visit Ngorongoro crater in the afternoon. Overnight at Simba B Special campsite.
07.08: Drive to Arusha (we skipped the morning game drive) and onward to Marangu for overnight at Marangu Hotel.
08.08: After an early breakfast, transfer to Marangu gate for pre-registration and drive to Rongai gate (Nale Moru village)- Altitude 1950m. Trek to the first camp on the edge of the moorland zone. Dinner and overnight at First Cave camp (2600m).
09.08: After breakfast trek to the second cave (3450m). Leave the main trail and trek towards Mawenzi for dinner and overnight at Kikelewa cave (3600m).
10.08: Acclimatisation at Kikelewa cave
11.08: Trek to Mawenzi tarn hut campsite. (4330m).
12.08: Acclimatisation at Mawenzi tarn.
13.08: Trek to Kibo hut, where a campsite above the hut had been already reserved for us (4750m).
14.08: 01h00 climb to Gilman's point (5685m) and onward to Uhuru Peak (5896m) for Sunrise. Descend via Kibo hut to Horombo hut camp.
15.08: Descend to Mandara hut to Marangu gate (1830m). Transfer to Marangu hotel.
16.08: Transfer to Kilimanjaro airport flight to Zanzibar, tour Stone town in the afternoon. Transfer to Matemwe Beach Village, Asali Suite, which is a dream!
17.08: Matemwe Beach Village-Asali Suite.
18.08: Matemwe Beach Village-Asali Suite.
19.08: Matemwe Beach Village-Asali Suite.
20.08: Transfer and flight via Dar es Salaam and Amsterdam home.
Trip with Roy Safaris: Excellent!
- 1 Yellow Fevor innoculation revisited
- 2 Most Romantic Places in Marrakech or Essaouira?
- 3 Mozambique 1 - 13 June 2013.
- 4 2 weeks in South Africa with teens
- 5 Help with Zambia itinerary? Victoria's Fall, South Luwangha NP
- 6 Africa Safari
- 7 Tanzania Feb 2013 -- my first but not last safari!
- 8 Morocco - private tour operators
- 9 Questions re Gorillas in Rwanda and money in both Rwanda and Tanzania
- 10 Morocco . . . Rough Around the Edges
- 11 Kruger Park trip
- 12 First time in Zimbawbe, SA, Safari, etc. Really need your help.
- 13 Exclusie use vehicles at Mala Mala and Londolozi
- 14 phone service
- 15 how to join a Kenya safari once in country
- 16 Qatar - Doha my photos
- 17 The Grace Hotel (Johannesburg) is closing
- 18 Kenya + Ngorongoro or Serengeti?
- 19 Ashdod to Jaffa and Tel Aviv
- 20 Haifa - Acre & the Baha'i Gardens
- 21 Marrakesh and Fez w/ side trip
- 22 What about Intrepid Travel as a tour company?
- 23 Amazing Safari Trip in Zimbabwe (Matopos-Hwange & Victoria Falls)
- 24 Experience with Journey Beyond Travel or Sahara Services in Morocco?
- 25 transfer from jnb and Durban airports