How to begin? spent two nights in arusha in a lodge which i thought was rustic but that was only because i had no idea what i was in for. we were a small group (six plus a driver, cook, and guide) so we all bonded quickly. best part of trip was serengeti. camped there for three nights - yes a tent in the serengeti. the first night we could hear the lions all night. the next morning while eating breakfast, there were five female lions about half a football field away watching us eat. the next night was spent listening to two clans of hyenas fighting over a wildebeast that was not yet dead. they were literally a hundred feet from the tent. of course, i had to go to the bathroom and was forbidden from doing so. i couldnt leave my tent. the third night it was back to some heavy lion breathing and it was so relaxing compared to the previous night. also visited the ngorngo crater which blew my mind. it is impossible to adequately describe my trip. it was more than i had dreamt of and i thought i had a pretty vivid imagination. i just want to assure anyone who plans on visiting that it is so worth the work (the vaccinations, long flight, anti-malaria meds, etc...). I cannot wait to return. Oh - I went thru Thomson Safaris and recommend them 100%. the guide met us at the airport and never left our side. TS walked me thru every step, gave excellent advice, and offered me a trip that allowed me to stay in everything from a tent I pitched myself, to a nice lodge. Awesome trip!!!!
trip report : tanzania
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Side trip from Kigali Rwanda
- 2 THE GREAT WILDE BEEST MIGRATION IN KENYA
- 3 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 4 Long layover at Hamad Airport, Doha
- 5 First trip to Africa in December-January
- 6 Tanzania or Kenya in October
- 7 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 8 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 9 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 10 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 11 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 12 Uganda/Rwanda - trip report and lots of information for independent travel
- 13 Interesting and uncommon stuff to do in Tel Aviv?
- 14 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 15 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 16 Charity begins at Home!
- 17 Sun Safaris
- 18 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 19 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 20 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 21 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 22 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 23 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 24 Tour to Morocco
- 25 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???