I want to start saying that I’ve traveled quite a bit but this one was one of the most amazing trips ever in terms of close contact with nature. Absolute outstanding and worth it!!! I want to thank all fodorites that provide valuable information that proved to be extremely helpful in planning this successful trip. More on resources for planning below.
Photography (my #1 hobby, my #2 passion after my lovely wife) was one of the primary goals of this trip. I took 3000+ pictures (thanks to the digital era), trashed about 1000 and selected about 200 for you. For other enthusiastic photographers, I’ve added a session a the end of this report. A selection of the pictures be accessed at link below. They are better viewed in slideshow mode. They are all “geo-tagged” so you can see (in your browser on in Google Earth) the approximate location were they were taken.
Also keep in mind that my comments/experiences/suggestions below are just that: mine, from a single safari trip experience. Other people will certainly have different opinions/observations: listen to them all and do what you think is best for you.
A safari is not for you if you:
a) don’t enjoy watching animal behavior for hours
b) want a “for sure we’ll see it” deal (go to a zoo instead)
c) mind cold lunches
d) want to stay in bed till late
e) if you can’t afford $300 to $500 pppd (per person per day)
f) mind peeing in the open (and I mean, really open! I thought we’d look for some bushes but apparently that’s where the lions hide )
g) mosquitoes bother you (we actually saw very few of them – it’s was winter/dry season – summer may be a different story; we did get some annoying tsetse flies though)
We are looking forward to turn this “trip of a life time” into a “first trip of a lifetime”: we’ll most certainly be back; perhaps next time during the wet season for a change.
Trip Report – Tanzania – Jose Vigano – July/2007
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Eilat - Petra and the Dead Sea
- 2 Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September
- 3 Self Drive SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe - help, 4x4 hire/border restrictions
- 4 Petra in August, Petra by Night?
- 5 Need Help Organizing our time in Cape Town - 3.5 days in June
- 6 Morocco for 2 nights
- 7 Generic malarone now availbale in Canada
- 8 HELP..visiting Oman and Qatar from Dubai
- 9 6 Days in the Danakil Depression - An Experience of a Life Time!
- 10 Have you been to East Africa ?Ethiopia?
- 11 Tanzania Safari
- 12 Trip Report Africa & Dubai
- 13 Israel and Petra
- 14 Who Plans and Packs for Your Bucket List Travel (Safari)
- 15 Magnificant Morocco
- 16 The 1st of may questions .. when to go???
- 17 Hotels in Nairobi
- 18 israel and petra
- 19 Itinerary needed for four days in Morocco
- 20 Memory cards for camera
- 21 World Travel Expert
- 22 maputo beach resorts -- safer this year?
- 23 Deep sea fishing -Seychelles
- 24 FABULOUS Safari Clothing - Might as well look FINE...
- 25 Eilat/Petra Itinerary advice and Where to stay in the Dead Sea Area?