I want to start saying that I’ve traveled quite a bit but this one was one of the most amazing trips ever in terms of close contact with nature. Absolute outstanding and worth it!!! I want to thank all fodorites that provide valuable information that proved to be extremely helpful in planning this successful trip. More on resources for planning below.
Photography (my #1 hobby, my #2 passion after my lovely wife) was one of the primary goals of this trip. I took 3000+ pictures (thanks to the digital era), trashed about 1000 and selected about 200 for you. For other enthusiastic photographers, I’ve added a session a the end of this report. A selection of the pictures be accessed at link below. They are better viewed in slideshow mode. They are all “geo-tagged” so you can see (in your browser on in Google Earth) the approximate location were they were taken.
Also keep in mind that my comments/experiences/suggestions below are just that: mine, from a single safari trip experience. Other people will certainly have different opinions/observations: listen to them all and do what you think is best for you.
A safari is not for you if you:
a) don’t enjoy watching animal behavior for hours
b) want a “for sure we’ll see it” deal (go to a zoo instead)
c) mind cold lunches
d) want to stay in bed till late
e) if you can’t afford $300 to $500 pppd (per person per day)
f) mind peeing in the open (and I mean, really open! I thought we’d look for some bushes but apparently that’s where the lions hide )
g) mosquitoes bother you (we actually saw very few of them – it’s was winter/dry season – summer may be a different story; we did get some annoying tsetse flies though)
We are looking forward to turn this “trip of a life time” into a “first trip of a lifetime”: we’ll most certainly be back; perhaps next time during the wet season for a change.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 ATM DUMPS PIN TRACK 1/2 CC CVV TRANSFER WESTERN UNION
- 2 Tanzania - first trip - many questions.
- 3 Rental Car Rabat Airport
- 4 14-16 day visit to South Africa
- 5 experiences with African travel Resource
- 6 name issue
- 7 3 days in Jo'Burg
- 8 Madagascar suggestions
- 9 Travelling to Atlas mountains
- 10 3-part Zimbabwe: Join Wild Dog Researcher, Walk Mana Pools, Canoe Zambezi
- 11 First time in Southafrica - Suggested itinerary
- 12 Seven day solo trip to Morocco
- 13 East Africa Travel Visa - Starting in Kenya
- 14 4 weeks in South Africa ideas
- 15 only private conservancies or can i add in a national park
- 16 Single traveler
- 17 Should I visit Vamizi Island again?
- 18 Liquids Restrictions - South Africa to Zimbabwe
- 19 Morocco & Spain with Kidos!
- 20 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 21 My Magical Southern African Photography Safari: A Trip Report
- 22 morocco help please
- 23 3 adults in Dubai need a good hotel to share with privacy!
- 24 Botswana - Oct vs June
- 25 Zambia + Namibia trip -completely unrealistic?