I want to start saying that I’ve traveled quite a bit but this one was one of the most amazing trips ever in terms of close contact with nature. Absolute outstanding and worth it!!! I want to thank all fodorites that provide valuable information that proved to be extremely helpful in planning this successful trip. More on resources for planning below.
Photography (my #1 hobby, my #2 passion after my lovely wife) was one of the primary goals of this trip. I took 3000+ pictures (thanks to the digital era), trashed about 1000 and selected about 200 for you. For other enthusiastic photographers, I’ve added a session a the end of this report. A selection of the pictures be accessed at link below. They are better viewed in slideshow mode. They are all “geo-tagged” so you can see (in your browser on in Google Earth) the approximate location were they were taken.
Also keep in mind that my comments/experiences/suggestions below are just that: mine, from a single safari trip experience. Other people will certainly have different opinions/observations: listen to them all and do what you think is best for you.
A safari is not for you if you:
a) don’t enjoy watching animal behavior for hours
b) want a “for sure we’ll see it” deal (go to a zoo instead)
c) mind cold lunches
d) want to stay in bed till late
e) if you can’t afford $300 to $500 pppd (per person per day)
f) mind peeing in the open (and I mean, really open! I thought we’d look for some bushes but apparently that’s where the lions hide )
g) mosquitoes bother you (we actually saw very few of them – it’s was winter/dry season – summer may be a different story; we did get some annoying tsetse flies though)
We are looking forward to turn this “trip of a life time” into a “first trip of a lifetime”: we’ll most certainly be back; perhaps next time during the wet season for a change.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 First time Safari - any comments on Wild Wings/Taga Safari companies?
- 2 March Trip to South Africa -- Need Quick Guidance Please!
- 3 Route planning and advice visiting Southern Africa by car.
- 4 South Africa Kgalagadi & Kruger back-to-back in 2016
- 5 Alexandria
- 6 Dubai in 36 hours
- 7 good internet connection option Meknes
- 8 A very belated TR - South of Namibia with Kgalagadi
- 9 South Africa trip report
- 10 Marrakesh - Expenses
- 11 Can gay people travel safely in Morocco?
- 12 Morocco Trip End of April - itinerary help please!
- 13 Mombasa recomendations please
- 14 Private tours in Morocco
- 15 Kings Pool vs. Duma Tau
- 16 Hotels for Victoria falls
- 17 First time to Africa-need help!
- 18 How do I know if a company is legit
- 19 Point and Shoot camera for a Kenyan Safari
- 20 Question about Yellow Fever certificate
- 21 The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains
- 22 Has anyone used this company in Uganda
- 23 Jewish tour Casablanca
- 24 Kenyan Safari Spending Money
- 25 Ethiopian security