I want to start saying that I’ve traveled quite a bit but this one was one of the most amazing trips ever in terms of close contact with nature. Absolute outstanding and worth it!!! I want to thank all fodorites that provide valuable information that proved to be extremely helpful in planning this successful trip. More on resources for planning below.
Photography (my #1 hobby, my #2 passion after my lovely wife) was one of the primary goals of this trip. I took 3000+ pictures (thanks to the digital era), trashed about 1000 and selected about 200 for you. For other enthusiastic photographers, I’ve added a session a the end of this report. A selection of the pictures be accessed at link below. They are better viewed in slideshow mode. They are all “geo-tagged” so you can see (in your browser on in Google Earth) the approximate location were they were taken.
Also keep in mind that my comments/experiences/suggestions below are just that: mine, from a single safari trip experience. Other people will certainly have different opinions/observations: listen to them all and do what you think is best for you.
A safari is not for you if you:
a) don’t enjoy watching animal behavior for hours
b) want a “for sure we’ll see it” deal (go to a zoo instead)
c) mind cold lunches
d) want to stay in bed till late
e) if you can’t afford $300 to $500 pppd (per person per day)
f) mind peeing in the open (and I mean, really open! I thought we’d look for some bushes but apparently that’s where the lions hide )
g) mosquitoes bother you (we actually saw very few of them – it’s was winter/dry season – summer may be a different story; we did get some annoying tsetse flies though)
We are looking forward to turn this “trip of a life time” into a “first trip of a lifetime”: we’ll most certainly be back; perhaps next time during the wet season for a change.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 http://healthforeverplus.com/endovex/
- 2 Want to take your laptop on the plane?
- 3 Egypt January-February 2018
- 4 South Africa planning next Feb/March
- 5 Kruger National Park with 5 year old
- 6 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
- 7 safari for the mobility impaired
- 8 Honeymoon - South Africa
- 9 Morocco first timer around 8 days
- 10 Morocco: Do it yourself, or get a tour company?
- 11 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 12 Private tour guide in Marrakech
- 13 Dubai shopping - any tips?
- 14 Need a Car in Nassau?
- 15 Dining in Cape Town
- 16 Change Tour Operators at Last Minute?
- 17 Dubai plan
- 18 Best Layover from NY to Cape Town
- 19 Israel with kids in August
- 20 Sterkfontein/ Cradle of Humankind
- 21 Iran in May
- 22 South Africa in June
- 23 Dual Citizenship- Travelling question
- 24 IRAN
- 25 First Trip to Africa, first safari...which itinerary should I go with?