I want to start saying that I’ve traveled quite a bit but this one was one of the most amazing trips ever in terms of close contact with nature. Absolute outstanding and worth it!!! I want to thank all fodorites that provide valuable information that proved to be extremely helpful in planning this successful trip. More on resources for planning below.
Photography (my #1 hobby, my #2 passion after my lovely wife) was one of the primary goals of this trip. I took 3000+ pictures (thanks to the digital era), trashed about 1000 and selected about 200 for you. For other enthusiastic photographers, I’ve added a session a the end of this report. A selection of the pictures be accessed at link below. They are better viewed in slideshow mode. They are all “geo-tagged” so you can see (in your browser on in Google Earth) the approximate location were they were taken.
Also keep in mind that my comments/experiences/suggestions below are just that: mine, from a single safari trip experience. Other people will certainly have different opinions/observations: listen to them all and do what you think is best for you.
A safari is not for you if you:
a) don’t enjoy watching animal behavior for hours
b) want a “for sure we’ll see it” deal (go to a zoo instead)
c) mind cold lunches
d) want to stay in bed till late
e) if you can’t afford $300 to $500 pppd (per person per day)
f) mind peeing in the open (and I mean, really open! I thought we’d look for some bushes but apparently that’s where the lions hide )
g) mosquitoes bother you (we actually saw very few of them – it’s was winter/dry season – summer may be a different story; we did get some annoying tsetse flies though)
We are looking forward to turn this “trip of a life time” into a “first trip of a lifetime”: we’ll most certainly be back; perhaps next time during the wet season for a change.
Trip Report – Tanzania – Jose Vigano – July/2007
- 1 2 weeks in South Africa with teens
- 2 Cross Egypt Challenge and 4 extra days
- 3 Morocco - private tour operators
- 4 Morocco . . . Rough Around the Edges
- 5 6 nights in Morocco - how long to spend in marrakech and fes each?
- 6 Our best trip ever - in Morocco
- 7 TRIP REPORT: Northern Tanzania with a Birding Twist 2/13
- 8 Experience with Journey Beyond Travel or Sahara Services in Morocco?
- 9 Budget Safari options in Botswana?
- 10 Yellow Fevor innoculation revisited
- 11 Morocco Tour Operators: Morocco Expert Tours
- 12 Mozambique 1 - 13 June 2013.
- 13 Tanzania Feb 2013 -- my first but not last safari!
- 14 Most Romantic Places in Marrakech or Essaouira?
- 15 Help with Zambia itinerary? Victoria's Fall, South Luwangha NP
- 16 Africa Safari
- 17 Questions re Gorillas in Rwanda and money in both Rwanda and Tanzania
- 18 Kruger Park trip
- 19 First time in Zimbawbe, SA, Safari, etc. Really need your help.
- 20 Exclusie use vehicles at Mala Mala and Londolozi
- 21 phone service
- 22 how to join a Kenya safari once in country
- 23 Qatar - Doha my photos
- 24 The Grace Hotel (Johannesburg) is closing
- 25 Kenya + Ngorongoro or Serengeti?