I want to start saying that I’ve traveled quite a bit but this one was one of the most amazing trips ever in terms of close contact with nature. Absolute outstanding and worth it!!! I want to thank all fodorites that provide valuable information that proved to be extremely helpful in planning this successful trip. More on resources for planning below.
Photography (my #1 hobby, my #2 passion after my lovely wife) was one of the primary goals of this trip. I took 3000+ pictures (thanks to the digital era), trashed about 1000 and selected about 200 for you. For other enthusiastic photographers, I’ve added a session a the end of this report. A selection of the pictures be accessed at link below. They are better viewed in slideshow mode. They are all “geo-tagged” so you can see (in your browser on in Google Earth) the approximate location were they were taken.
Also keep in mind that my comments/experiences/suggestions below are just that: mine, from a single safari trip experience. Other people will certainly have different opinions/observations: listen to them all and do what you think is best for you.
A safari is not for you if you:
a) don’t enjoy watching animal behavior for hours
b) want a “for sure we’ll see it” deal (go to a zoo instead)
c) mind cold lunches
d) want to stay in bed till late
e) if you can’t afford $300 to $500 pppd (per person per day)
f) mind peeing in the open (and I mean, really open! I thought we’d look for some bushes but apparently that’s where the lions hide )
g) mosquitoes bother you (we actually saw very few of them – it’s was winter/dry season – summer may be a different story; we did get some annoying tsetse flies though)
We are looking forward to turn this “trip of a life time” into a “first trip of a lifetime”: we’ll most certainly be back; perhaps next time during the wet season for a change.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 http://trexmusclesite.com/kerave-hair-nl/
- 2 Kenya Safari Tour Operator Recommendations
- 3 First trip to Africa
- 4 Uganda Visa
- 5 accomodation near Mata Mata Border post
- 6 Morocco help
- 7 Egypt- Dec Itinerary-help needed
- 8 Private Guide for Cairo
- 9 Egypt - Need Help!
- 10 Attractions in Cairo and around
- 11 Glorious Return to South Africa--Two Weeks in October
- 12 CASABLANCA for 1 Day
- 13 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 14 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 15 Driving Distance from Kalahari Tented Camp to Western Etosha NP
- 16 Morocco 6 days Itinerary..Need Help
- 17 Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- 18 upcoming Africa trip ... gift ideas needed?
- 19 Trying to contact Rabbi Jay Karzen, Jerusalem
- 20 South Africa/Safari/12 days in May
- 21 Is Egypt OK to visit now with family ?
- 22 "Salute Africa" travel agency
- 23 Need feedback on my itinerary
- 24 DANCING ZEBRA SAFARI CO
- 25 The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains