In the fall, I'll be travelling in West, East and South Africa for 3-4 months--both independently and on tours. I'd like to trek into Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda to see mountain gorillas. BUT--I'm not ready to have the most important parts of my anatomy (or the least important, for that matter) shot off! So in light of events there over the past couple years, I do have some questions about safety. Does anyone have any current information about the situation in Bwindi, and southern Uganda in general? Realizing, of course, that things can quickly change between now and then. The U.S. State Dept. advisory says, in so many words, that visiting the area is more or less like playing Russian Roulette. The U.K. Foreign Office, on the other hand, says (as of Nov. 1999) that the area is now safe for tourism. Does anyone out there have any first-hand information to add to the pot? Even second or third-hand might do.... Tank yew velly velly much!
Tracking Gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable
View all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Back from our self-drive in the northern circuit
- 2 My trip to Egypt .....
- 3 Glorious Return to South Africa--Two Weeks in October
- 4 Botswana Flights to the Kwando camps
- 5 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 6 WHERE TO? Botswana? Tanzania? South Africa?
- 7 Highlights and Photos: Self-drive Kenya & Tanzania August 2009
- 8 Tanzania, Kili, Camels and Horses
- 9 Homestay Accomodation
- 10 A new Tourism Region - Zambesia
- 11 Morocco with Desert Majesty
- 12 Safari and Beach in June
- 13 Grootberg Lodge & Camp Kipwe in Damaraland, Namibia
- 14 Israel and Jordan as a winter break, Pt. 2
- 15 Group Trip to Israel
- 16 Help with travel plans for Dubai
- 17 south african safari in Nov/Dec
- 18 Predator Safari Njema with the KiliWarriors!
- 19 Crossing from Israel to Jordan: Need advice and encouragement. And Advice.
- 20 Dubai Airport to cruise terminal
- 21 Exciting places in Dubai??
- 22 Tanzania Itinerary Feedback?
- 23 March 2014 Tanzania Safari - base out of Karatu Village
- 24 CapeTown and around......seeking restaurant advice
- 25 Night drives in Manyara worth it????