In the fall, I'll be travelling in West, East and South Africa for 3-4 months--both independently and on tours. I'd like to trek into Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda to see mountain gorillas. BUT--I'm not ready to have the most important parts of my anatomy (or the least important, for that matter) shot off! So in light of events there over the past couple years, I do have some questions about safety. Does anyone have any current information about the situation in Bwindi, and southern Uganda in general? Realizing, of course, that things can quickly change between now and then. The U.S. State Dept. advisory says, in so many words, that visiting the area is more or less like playing Russian Roulette. The U.K. Foreign Office, on the other hand, says (as of Nov. 1999) that the area is now safe for tourism. Does anyone out there have any first-hand information to add to the pot? Even second or third-hand might do.... Tank yew velly velly much!
Tracking Gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tanzania: Ruaha & Selous in June
- 2 Green Season Safari Questions
- 3 Dubai - to go or not to go?
- 4 need private tour guide for Jordan
- 5 We're going to Jordan and Israel
- 6 Connect Hemisphere Safaris - BEWARE: Fraudulent, Incompetent
- 7 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 8 Choosing Between Africa Odyssey, Africa Adventure Company, & andBeyond
- 9 South Africa escorted tour - your comments please!
- 10 Choosing A Morocco Tour Operator?
- 11 Proposed Zambia Itinerary Update
- 12 Anyone going to Tanzania soon ?
- 13 Saudi Arabia and Oman?
- 14 Best time to go to South Africa?
- 15 Uganda Travel Planning
- 16 Israel and Jordan
- 17 Tour of Morocco, is this a good one?
- 18 Tel Aviv Special Occasion Restaurant
- 19 Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September
- 20 Ethiopia Omo valley tour(March 21-28)- Need a travel partner
- 21 Northern Circuit tour company
- 22 Delta trip Aug/28-9/10 Sooooo excited!!
- 23 Oman Trip Report
- 24 Family Itinerary - would welcome advice/opinion
- 25 A Look Back