In the fall, I'll be travelling in West, East and South Africa for 3-4 months--both independently and on tours. I'd like to trek into Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda to see mountain gorillas. BUT--I'm not ready to have the most important parts of my anatomy (or the least important, for that matter) shot off! So in light of events there over the past couple years, I do have some questions about safety. Does anyone have any current information about the situation in Bwindi, and southern Uganda in general? Realizing, of course, that things can quickly change between now and then. The U.S. State Dept. advisory says, in so many words, that visiting the area is more or less like playing Russian Roulette. The U.K. Foreign Office, on the other hand, says (as of Nov. 1999) that the area is now safe for tourism. Does anyone out there have any first-hand information to add to the pot? Even second or third-hand might do.... Tank yew velly velly much!
Tracking Gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 trip report, morocco
- 2 Marrakech to Fes by bus
- 3 Self Drive SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe - help, 4x4 hire/border restrictions
- 4 Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September
- 5 Generic malarone now availbale in Canada
- 6 Morocco for 2 nights
- 7 Memory cards for camera
- 8 Help with Rwanda trip
- 9 Maldives, Seychelles or Mauritius??
- 10 Sabi Sands camps
- 11 Hotels in Nairobi
- 12 Who Plans and Packs for Your Bucket List Travel (Safari)
- 13 Rwanda trip report
- 14 Tel Aviv beaches
- 15 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 16 A Couple of Questions Regarding My Itinerary
- 17 Petra in August, Petra by Night?
- 18 israel and petra
- 19 Tentative Israel/Jordan Itinerary...help
- 20 Help with Kruger Park itinerary
- 21 Israel and Petra
- 22 Eilat - Petra and the Dead Sea
- 23 Need Help Organizing our time in Cape Town - 3.5 days in June
- 24 HELP..visiting Oman and Qatar from Dubai
- 25 6 Days in the Danakil Depression - An Experience of a Life Time!