In the fall, I'll be travelling in West, East and South Africa for 3-4 months--both independently and on tours. I'd like to trek into Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda to see mountain gorillas. BUT--I'm not ready to have the most important parts of my anatomy (or the least important, for that matter) shot off! So in light of events there over the past couple years, I do have some questions about safety. Does anyone have any current information about the situation in Bwindi, and southern Uganda in general? Realizing, of course, that things can quickly change between now and then. The U.S. State Dept. advisory says, in so many words, that visiting the area is more or less like playing Russian Roulette. The U.K. Foreign Office, on the other hand, says (as of Nov. 1999) that the area is now safe for tourism. Does anyone out there have any first-hand information to add to the pot? Even second or third-hand might do.... Tank yew velly velly much!
Tracking Gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Morocco to portugal
- 2 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 3 Car Rentals in Israel
- 4 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 5 Uganda or Rwanda 2015
- 6 Independence Day in Israel
- 7 KwaZulu Natal and Kruger - sort of a Trip Report
- 8 Trip Insurance - a must?
- 9 South Africa in February?
- 10 Drinking on safari
- 11 Travelust
- 12 Okavango Delta - how to see it without breaking the bank?
- 13 Shots for Morocco
- 14 South Africa - travel from Bloemfontein via Karoo to Stellenbosch
- 15 South Africa - Cape wine lands - Suggestions organized wine tasting tour
- 16 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 17 Southern Africa trip - 5 weeks April / May 2015 starting in KZN
- 18 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 19 To Egypt in February - Need some advice
- 20 Thinking about The Gambia
- 21 Private Guide in Israel - Cost question
- 22 correct date of last post: free ebook available Sunday Dec 11
- 23 Dubai Sand Dune dinner
- 24 DAY TRIP FROM AGADIR
- 25 “Extensive tour around Egypt in 36 Days”