I'm taking a trip to Egypt in February for the first time and would appreciate any help that you can provide. Here are the most urgent questions I have right now.
1) I have only 6 days in the country -- arrive Sunday early morning and leave early morning the following Saturday. I'm mostly interested the historical sites so I've come up with the following itinerary: Days 1 & 2: Cairo/pyramids, Day 3 fly to Aswan in morning, Day 4 Aswan, then travel to Luxor in afternoon or evening (how? train, bus, taxi?), Days 5 & 6 Luxor/Thebes, then fly from Luxor to Cairo airport the night of Day 6 (I'm thinking I will stay in the Cairo airport that night as my flight home leaves next morning at 4:30 AM). So, is that too madcap of an itinerary? Can I rely on Egypt Air to be on time? (I don't know if I'm taking a chance leaving Luxor the night before my flight home -- what if the flight is cancelled?)
2) As for hotels in Cairo, I have rewards points that I want to use at either the Hilton in Zamalek or the Sheraton by the Pyramids. Any suggestions as to which is the better place to stay for such a short stay in Cairo?
3) I'm thinking about seeing most things on my own as I usually don't care for tour groups, but some places may be easier with a group -- I don't know. Is it pretty easy to hook up with a tour through the hotel's concierge or something? And if so, are there any of the major sights that would be just easier with a tour/guide than going on my own, e.g. Valley of the Kings, Pyramids and Saqqura, Aswan Temple of Philae, etc.
4) Lastly, safety appears to be all right for tourists right now as long as one remains alert to one's surroundings, but if this is sounding too overconfident or ignorant of the current situation since the referendum last week, then please advise.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Israel for 60 year olds
- 2 Two Safari questions--one photography and one about gratuities
- 3 African Safari Without Small Planes!
- 4 Renting a cell phone in Johannesburg aiport
- 5 footwear for primate tracking
- 6 First Trip to Africa
- 7 Jordan - a very good trip, more or less
- 8 13 nights in Morocco-itinerary help please
- 9 22 Days at 4 Camps in Southern Tanzania - Ruaha and Selous
- 10 Tanzania & Zanzibar Itinerary
- 11 Morocco Trip Report
- 12 Planned Itinerary and Questions-Morocco, April 2016
- 13 Morocco in October 2015
- 14 Remembering Palmyra
- 15 Morocco - 11 nights - comments on itinerary
- 16 Safe to Travel to Morocco
- 17 Egypt - December 2008 - Trip Report
- 18 Short (7 days of less) four/five star level family safari
- 19 Naboisho Camp vs. Governor's Camp
- 20 Cote Divoire the heart of Africa
- 21 Dubai Desert Safari - Toddler Friendly?
- 22 Anyone have experience with Rothschild Safaris?
- 23 Umkumbe or Toro Yaka?
- 24 What a great idea!! Make a difference.
- 25 From Downtown Cairo to 10th ramdan city