I'm taking a trip to Egypt in February for the first time and would appreciate any help that you can provide. Here are the most urgent questions I have right now.
1) I have only 6 days in the country -- arrive Sunday early morning and leave early morning the following Saturday. I'm mostly interested the historical sites so I've come up with the following itinerary: Days 1 & 2: Cairo/pyramids, Day 3 fly to Aswan in morning, Day 4 Aswan, then travel to Luxor in afternoon or evening (how? train, bus, taxi?), Days 5 & 6 Luxor/Thebes, then fly from Luxor to Cairo airport the night of Day 6 (I'm thinking I will stay in the Cairo airport that night as my flight home leaves next morning at 4:30 AM). So, is that too madcap of an itinerary? Can I rely on Egypt Air to be on time? (I don't know if I'm taking a chance leaving Luxor the night before my flight home -- what if the flight is cancelled?)
2) As for hotels in Cairo, I have rewards points that I want to use at either the Hilton in Zamalek or the Sheraton by the Pyramids. Any suggestions as to which is the better place to stay for such a short stay in Cairo?
3) I'm thinking about seeing most things on my own as I usually don't care for tour groups, but some places may be easier with a group -- I don't know. Is it pretty easy to hook up with a tour through the hotel's concierge or something? And if so, are there any of the major sights that would be just easier with a tour/guide than going on my own, e.g. Valley of the Kings, Pyramids and Saqqura, Aswan Temple of Philae, etc.
4) Lastly, safety appears to be all right for tourists right now as long as one remains alert to one's surroundings, but if this is sounding too overconfident or ignorant of the current situation since the referendum last week, then please advise.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Can Anyone Say Anything Positive About Ethiopia Air?
- 2 Southern Africa Safari Trip—Best Vacation Ever!!
- 3 Flights to Uganda & Kenya
- 4 Tanzania trip Advice
- 5 Last minute invite to Kenya - need reasonablebSafari tour operators
- 6 Best time to visit 2016 -
- 7 day trip fes to chefchaouen
- 8 Namibia--fly-in or guided drive?
- 9 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 10 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 11 1st time Africa: Zambezi Rafting & more - what do I need to know?
- 12 el gouna or soma bay????
- 13 Safari photography help
- 14 Morocco - Chefchaouen, Ait Benhaddou
- 15 What is a normal price for driver from Amman airport to Petra
- 16 Israel itinerary
- 17 Malawi with kiddos
- 18 Porini Mara & Porini Lion in October 2016
- 19 Local Tanzania companies
- 20 Yellow fever medical waiver - Rwanda and Tanzania
- 21 Ethiopian Quadrants - Travelers Beware
- 22 Trip Report April/May 2051 Tanzania Safari
- 23 Dubai Trip Idea
- 24 S.A. - is it possible to have a secluded safari?
- 25 My experience of 8 day tour in Morocco