I'm taking a trip to Egypt in February for the first time and would appreciate any help that you can provide. Here are the most urgent questions I have right now.
1) I have only 6 days in the country -- arrive Sunday early morning and leave early morning the following Saturday. I'm mostly interested the historical sites so I've come up with the following itinerary: Days 1 & 2: Cairo/pyramids, Day 3 fly to Aswan in morning, Day 4 Aswan, then travel to Luxor in afternoon or evening (how? train, bus, taxi?), Days 5 & 6 Luxor/Thebes, then fly from Luxor to Cairo airport the night of Day 6 (I'm thinking I will stay in the Cairo airport that night as my flight home leaves next morning at 4:30 AM). So, is that too madcap of an itinerary? Can I rely on Egypt Air to be on time? (I don't know if I'm taking a chance leaving Luxor the night before my flight home -- what if the flight is cancelled?)
2) As for hotels in Cairo, I have rewards points that I want to use at either the Hilton in Zamalek or the Sheraton by the Pyramids. Any suggestions as to which is the better place to stay for such a short stay in Cairo?
3) I'm thinking about seeing most things on my own as I usually don't care for tour groups, but some places may be easier with a group -- I don't know. Is it pretty easy to hook up with a tour through the hotel's concierge or something? And if so, are there any of the major sights that would be just easier with a tour/guide than going on my own, e.g. Valley of the Kings, Pyramids and Saqqura, Aswan Temple of Philae, etc.
4) Lastly, safety appears to be all right for tourists right now as long as one remains alert to one's surroundings, but if this is sounding too overconfident or ignorant of the current situation since the referendum last week, then please advise.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
To Egypt in February - Need some advice
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Johannesburg...?
- 2 Well traveled...but not in Africa. Need help with itineraries!
- 3 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 4 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 5 Jordan safety concerns
- 6 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 7 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 8 Yellow fever vaccination for trip to southern Africa
- 9 Best Economy Hotels In Bahrain
- 10 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 11 A family safari in Tanzania
- 12 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 13 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 14 Uganda Trip Report
- 15 Epic budget trip in Kenya and Tanzania (safari and more)
- 16 Popular destinations in Africa.
- 17 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 18 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 19 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 20 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 21 Boutique hotels in israel
- 22 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 23 Short layover at JNB
- 24 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 25 Uganda or Rwanda?