June 17 – Holiday Inn/Nairobi
June 18/19/20 – Ithumba Camp/Tsavo East NP
June 21/22/23/24/25 – Finch Hattons/Tsavo West NP
I have to apologize upfront that I’m having trouble focusing on anything right now so the trip report installments will be trickling in pole, pole but I wanted to go ahead and post links to our photos. In the mean time, you can follow June 17-22 of Leely’s trip report http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/the-great-gorilla-elephant-and-surprise-migration-tour.cfm (actually I’m hoping she’ll do all the writing for me ) and I’d be happy to answer any questions.
I didn’t take many pics of Ithumba Camp this time but if you want to see what the camp looks like plus get more details about it, you can find them in my trip report from last year http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/my-those-are-big-orphans-adventures-of-joyce-rod-mark-patty-in-kenya.cfm
Quick thoughts –
Leely is a hoot to travel with and we hope we didn’t give her food poisoning
We were originally supposed to spend 2 nights in Nairobi at the beginning of our trip but due to flight delays (thunderstorms in ATL of all things!) didn’t get there until the following morning. In total it took us 38 hours to get to NBO including a detour to DXB.
It was nice to see everything so green after last year’s drought.
We had a lot more interaction with both groups of ex-orphans at Ithumba this year compared to last year when they had very little extra energy to expend.
Due to the short amount of time we had, we were unable to stay at Sandai this trip so we invited Petra and Sammy down to Ithumba with us (in case you’re wondering about the extra people in the pics).
We again booked through Eastern & Southern except for the Holiday Inn and Ithumba which I booked directly. Julius our guide from 5 previous trips had been promoted so we had a different guide Ben this time who was really fun to travel with and sort of the opposite of Julius (who we did get to see in Nairobi). We kept finding ourselves saying “Julius would never do that” throughout the trip but in a good way.
On to the photos –
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Titans vs Raiders live Stream Free
- 2 tours in Johannesburg
- 3 First Safari trip-on the right track?
- 4 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 5 Viator tour company
- 6 Planning my last day in Morocco
- 7 best bag to get for fly in safari in kenya
- 8 South African Cities
- 9 First Time Safari Help...Use a tour or not?
- 10 Luggage protection for Joburg?
- 11 Travelling during Purim or not?
- 12 East African Visa Beware!!!
- 13 First time safari advice and awkward question
- 14 Souvenirs from South Africa
- 15 Stanleys Camp Luggage
- 16 where to go in africa
- 17 Help with Flight Option: CMN or RAK
- 18 Ethiopian Holidays You Should Not Miss
- 19 Best Wineries - 2-3 days in Franschhoek and Stellenbosch
- 20 Tentative Itinerary - what do you think?
- 21 Help with bags
- 22 Royal Air Maroc Dreamliner JFK-CMN and maybe connect to RAK
- 23 4 DAYS IN MOROCCO- AGADIR OR ESSAOUIRA??
- 24 MOROCCO FOR 10 DAYS
- 25 Morocco 6 days Itinerary..Need Help
The Kuku That Didn’t Kill Us (culinary adventures in Ithumba & other tales)