June 17 – Holiday Inn/Nairobi
June 18/19/20 – Ithumba Camp/Tsavo East NP
June 21/22/23/24/25 – Finch Hattons/Tsavo West NP
I have to apologize upfront that I’m having trouble focusing on anything right now so the trip report installments will be trickling in pole, pole but I wanted to go ahead and post links to our photos. In the mean time, you can follow June 17-22 of Leely’s trip report http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/the-great-gorilla-elephant-and-surprise-migration-tour.cfm (actually I’m hoping she’ll do all the writing for me ) and I’d be happy to answer any questions.
I didn’t take many pics of Ithumba Camp this time but if you want to see what the camp looks like plus get more details about it, you can find them in my trip report from last year http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/my-those-are-big-orphans-adventures-of-joyce-rod-mark-patty-in-kenya.cfm
Quick thoughts –
Leely is a hoot to travel with and we hope we didn’t give her food poisoning
We were originally supposed to spend 2 nights in Nairobi at the beginning of our trip but due to flight delays (thunderstorms in ATL of all things!) didn’t get there until the following morning. In total it took us 38 hours to get to NBO including a detour to DXB.
It was nice to see everything so green after last year’s drought.
We had a lot more interaction with both groups of ex-orphans at Ithumba this year compared to last year when they had very little extra energy to expend.
Due to the short amount of time we had, we were unable to stay at Sandai this trip so we invited Petra and Sammy down to Ithumba with us (in case you’re wondering about the extra people in the pics).
We again booked through Eastern & Southern except for the Holiday Inn and Ithumba which I booked directly. Julius our guide from 5 previous trips had been promoted so we had a different guide Ben this time who was really fun to travel with and sort of the opposite of Julius (who we did get to see in Nairobi). We kept finding ourselves saying “Julius would never do that” throughout the trip but in a good way.
On to the photos –
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 help with itinerary please
- 2 Giraffe in Kruger national park
- 3 First time safari question
- 4 To drive or not to drive - need itinerary advice
- 5 A First Journey to Southern Africa: Cape, Falls, and Animal Safaris
- 6 Help choosing Safari in Botswana
- 7 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 8 Never use Travelust Safaris!
- 9 Lion Sands River Lodge or Narina Lodge
- 10 Swala Safaris
- 11 Safety at Sharm el sheikh and St Catherine's
- 12 Dubai
- 13 FloShuttle. from Ben Gurion airport
- 14 Driving from Jo-burg to Hazyview
- 15 Back in Iran again-just 11 days, help!
- 16 6 Days in the Danakil Depression - An Experience of a Life Time!
- 17 Help with last minute planning VFalls/Kruger/CapeTown
- 18 Etosha help
- 19 &Beyond vs. Wilderness Groups
- 20 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 21 private game reserve-kruger
- 22 Abu Dhabi and the Rest?
- 23 Dubai for 36 hours hotel recommendation
- 24 go2africa
- 25 Fabulous Feb. 2016 Rwanda, Tanzania and Kenya Trip
The Kuku That Didn’t Kill Us (culinary adventures in Ithumba & other tales)