I'm still in the process of looking at my photos but I want to get something down before it all falls right out of my head. I also want to convey my satisfaction with the various operators/outfitters, camps, guides, flights, hotels, waiters, drivers, rangers, friends--and wildlife!--that helped make my trip so gulp-I-can't-believe-this good.
Third safari, third trip to East Africa, first time on safari in Rwanda, first time on safari in Kenya (not first time in Kenya).
First solo trip.
First time traveling with Africa-board friends. (Patty and Mark are great!)
Arrived Nairobi. Two nights Macushla House.
I just reviewed this place on tripadvisor and posted some pics. Review is here:
June 13-June 17
Flew to Kigali on Kenya Airways.
Three nights Kinigi Guest House.
One night Paradis Malahide in Gisenyi on Lake Kivu.
June 17-June 22
Flew back to Nairobi on the 17th, met up with Patty and Mark.
O/n Nairobi Holiday Inn.
Drove to Tsavo East on June 18.
Three nights Ithumba Camp.
Drove to Tsavo West.
One night Finch Hattons.
Flew to the Mara on the morning of the 22nd.
Three nights Kicheche Bush Camp, where, because camp was only half full, I was assigned a private guide and vehicle. Let's hear it for off-season travel!
Last night at Macushla, followed by a.m. flight to AMS.
Two nights in Amsterdam at the Toren.
If you click the links, you might see that my accommodations really ran the gamut. They were all perfect for me and I'll answer questions and give more detail later. I'm okay with upmarket, downmarket, etc., as long as my expectations are met. As my expectations were pretty much in line with what I got--and what I paid--I was very happy everywhere. Of course, it's always nice to be comfortable.
Note: Ithumba Camp, run by the Sheldrick Wildife Trust, is a very special place. If you are an elephant person, you might consider this. Wonderful.
The Great Gorilla, Elephant and Surprise Migration Tour
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Travel Agent in DC: Seeking Reviews
- 2 Wild Dogs (Lycaon pictus) seen in Samburu Kenya
- 3 Need advice on which camera lenses for safari
- 4 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 5 Mashatu, Kgalagadi to Caprivi and a Moremi mobile with Masson Safaris
- 6 Morocco Advice
- 7 5/6 day trip in Morocco. Tips for itinerary and mode of travel
- 8 Good travel company to book an 8 day trip to Egypt
- 9 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015
- 10 I'm going on safari for free!
- 11 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 12 tanzania serengeti northern circuit self drive
- 13 Staying overnight at Nairobi Airport as solo female traveler?
- 14 Dubai first time
- 15 Private guide, non-self drive Namibia with Wild Dog Safaris in June
- 16 Overland from the Cape to the Serengeti
- 17 Observation - Possible Limited Space During Peak Season
- 18 South Africa's Eight UNESCO Sites
- 19 2015 Family Safari Tanzania Questions
- 20 5 day Seychelles trip in December
- 21 Anyone Else heading to Egypt in December?
- 22 16 day mixed trip
- 23 7 days visit to Jordan in Dec 2014
- 24 Canadian Insurance
- 25 Evacuation Insurance