I'm still in the process of looking at my photos but I want to get something down before it all falls right out of my head. I also want to convey my satisfaction with the various operators/outfitters, camps, guides, flights, hotels, waiters, drivers, rangers, friends--and wildlife!--that helped make my trip so gulp-I-can't-believe-this good.
Third safari, third trip to East Africa, first time on safari in Rwanda, first time on safari in Kenya (not first time in Kenya).
First solo trip.
First time traveling with Africa-board friends. (Patty and Mark are great!)
Arrived Nairobi. Two nights Macushla House.
I just reviewed this place on tripadvisor and posted some pics. Review is here:
June 13-June 17
Flew to Kigali on Kenya Airways.
Three nights Kinigi Guest House.
One night Paradis Malahide in Gisenyi on Lake Kivu.
June 17-June 22
Flew back to Nairobi on the 17th, met up with Patty and Mark.
O/n Nairobi Holiday Inn.
Drove to Tsavo East on June 18.
Three nights Ithumba Camp.
Drove to Tsavo West.
One night Finch Hattons.
Flew to the Mara on the morning of the 22nd.
Three nights Kicheche Bush Camp, where, because camp was only half full, I was assigned a private guide and vehicle. Let's hear it for off-season travel!
Last night at Macushla, followed by a.m. flight to AMS.
Two nights in Amsterdam at the Toren.
If you click the links, you might see that my accommodations really ran the gamut. They were all perfect for me and I'll answer questions and give more detail later. I'm okay with upmarket, downmarket, etc., as long as my expectations are met. As my expectations were pretty much in line with what I got--and what I paid--I was very happy everywhere. Of course, it's always nice to be comfortable.
Note: Ithumba Camp, run by the Sheldrick Wildife Trust, is a very special place. If you are an elephant person, you might consider this. Wonderful.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 house exchange
- 2 TRIP REPORT – 5 fantastic weeks in South Africa, Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe) and Mauritius
- 3 casablanca airport taxis
- 4 Is it Possible to Buy Advance Tickets to the Hassan 2 Mosque?
- 5 Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
- 6 Now is a GREAT time to visit Egypt! (Trip Report)
- 7 Insect Repellent
- 8 Marrakech, Demnate, Essaouira on slow
- 9 First Attempt South Africa Itinerary - Advice Please
- 10 Feedback on Victoria Falls visit please
- 11 Which Would you Recommend as an Outdoor Day trip from Marrakech?-Imlil or Cascades d'Ouzod
- 12 Tiberias with kids
- 13 Lion World
- 14 Advice, please: Addo Elephant Park to Cape Town AIrport on Garden Route
- 15 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 16 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 17 Israel in April - itinerary help
- 18 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 19 Mpumalanga visit
- 20 safe areas to go on safari
- 21 Rabat opinion and prices in Rabat + video
- 22 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 23 Okavango and Kalahari in December
- 24 Victoria Falls
- 25 WOMEN DRIVING IN SA
The Great Gorilla, Elephant and Surprise Migration Tour