I'm still in the process of looking at my photos but I want to get something down before it all falls right out of my head. I also want to convey my satisfaction with the various operators/outfitters, camps, guides, flights, hotels, waiters, drivers, rangers, friends--and wildlife!--that helped make my trip so gulp-I-can't-believe-this good.
Third safari, third trip to East Africa, first time on safari in Rwanda, first time on safari in Kenya (not first time in Kenya).
First solo trip.
First time traveling with Africa-board friends. (Patty and Mark are great!)
Arrived Nairobi. Two nights Macushla House.
I just reviewed this place on tripadvisor and posted some pics. Review is here:
June 13-June 17
Flew to Kigali on Kenya Airways.
Three nights Kinigi Guest House.
One night Paradis Malahide in Gisenyi on Lake Kivu.
June 17-June 22
Flew back to Nairobi on the 17th, met up with Patty and Mark.
O/n Nairobi Holiday Inn.
Drove to Tsavo East on June 18.
Three nights Ithumba Camp.
Drove to Tsavo West.
One night Finch Hattons.
Flew to the Mara on the morning of the 22nd.
Three nights Kicheche Bush Camp, where, because camp was only half full, I was assigned a private guide and vehicle. Let's hear it for off-season travel!
Last night at Macushla, followed by a.m. flight to AMS.
Two nights in Amsterdam at the Toren.
If you click the links, you might see that my accommodations really ran the gamut. They were all perfect for me and I'll answer questions and give more detail later. I'm okay with upmarket, downmarket, etc., as long as my expectations are met. As my expectations were pretty much in line with what I got--and what I paid--I was very happy everywhere. Of course, it's always nice to be comfortable.
Note: Ithumba Camp, run by the Sheldrick Wildife Trust, is a very special place. If you are an elephant person, you might consider this. Wonderful.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 HP printer 18OO:681:7208 installation support HP Tec*h
- 2 Cape Town & wine country in July? Help...
- 3 Current Recs for Driver/Guide in Morocco
- 4 11 days...Jordan and Israel ...help with itinerary
- 5 11 days Jordan and Israel...need help with planning
- 6 Safety issues driving the Garden Route in South Africa?
- 7 Other than car rental how to get to Kruger from Johannesburg?
- 8 Late August Cape Town/Safari/Vic Falls Advice Wanted
- 9 Safari in Kruger National Park
- 10 Marrakech
- 11 Moroccan Camel Safari
- 12 Accommodation in Cape Town
- 13 Abu Dhabi overnight stay
- 14 Babies Galore: Kenya in April
- 15 Audley Travel
- 16 Can "European" plugs be used in South Africa?
- 17 what kind of plug adapters to use in south africa
- 18 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 19 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 20 nearby game lodge from Johannesburg
- 21 Lower Zambezi vs. Northern So. Luangwa
- 22 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 23 Safari in South Africa
- 24 City Day guides and Sahara adventure
- 25 November Safari Help: Botswana or Kruger?
The Great Gorilla, Elephant and Surprise Migration Tour