I'm still in the process of looking at my photos but I want to get something down before it all falls right out of my head. I also want to convey my satisfaction with the various operators/outfitters, camps, guides, flights, hotels, waiters, drivers, rangers, friends--and wildlife!--that helped make my trip so gulp-I-can't-believe-this good.
Third safari, third trip to East Africa, first time on safari in Rwanda, first time on safari in Kenya (not first time in Kenya).
First solo trip.
First time traveling with Africa-board friends. (Patty and Mark are great!)
Arrived Nairobi. Two nights Macushla House.
I just reviewed this place on tripadvisor and posted some pics. Review is here:
June 13-June 17
Flew to Kigali on Kenya Airways.
Three nights Kinigi Guest House.
One night Paradis Malahide in Gisenyi on Lake Kivu.
June 17-June 22
Flew back to Nairobi on the 17th, met up with Patty and Mark.
O/n Nairobi Holiday Inn.
Drove to Tsavo East on June 18.
Three nights Ithumba Camp.
Drove to Tsavo West.
One night Finch Hattons.
Flew to the Mara on the morning of the 22nd.
Three nights Kicheche Bush Camp, where, because camp was only half full, I was assigned a private guide and vehicle. Let's hear it for off-season travel!
Last night at Macushla, followed by a.m. flight to AMS.
Two nights in Amsterdam at the Toren.
If you click the links, you might see that my accommodations really ran the gamut. They were all perfect for me and I'll answer questions and give more detail later. I'm okay with upmarket, downmarket, etc., as long as my expectations are met. As my expectations were pretty much in line with what I got--and what I paid--I was very happy everywhere. Of course, it's always nice to be comfortable.
Note: Ithumba Camp, run by the Sheldrick Wildife Trust, is a very special place. If you are an elephant person, you might consider this. Wonderful.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 safari for the mobility impaired
- 2 Kruger National Park with 5 year old
- 3 South Africa planning next Feb/March
- 4 A couple of quick questions about Israel
- 5 Jerusalem and the Holy Land
- 6 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 7 Family Kenya Safari July 2017
- 8 Proposed Itinerary Israel & Jordan
- 9 Want to take your laptop on the plane?
- 10 Recommendation on where to stay in Durban?
- 11 Itinerary and logistics of Mid April Mrocco solo
- 12 Kenya and Tanzaniz combined 13 days Safari
- 13 13 Days Tanzania and Kenya Safari
- 14 Morocco: Do it yourself, or get a tour company?
- 15 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 16 Buying merchandise
- 17 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
- 18 Egypt January-February 2018
- 19 Honeymoon - South Africa
- 20 Morocco first timer around 8 days
- 21 Private tour guide in Marrakech
- 22 Dubai shopping - any tips?
- 23 Need a Car in Nassau?
- 24 Dining in Cape Town
- 25 Change Tour Operators at Last Minute?
The Great Gorilla, Elephant and Surprise Migration Tour