I did a search but couldn't pull up what I wanted. Please feel free to direct me to links about this. I love Lynda's packing list but I would never take that much stuff.
On my past two safaris, I carried on a small bag with a few essentials and checked a larger duffel. My traveling companion did the same, and between the two of us we managed to carry on the most important items. This time I will be going solo, so no cross-packing. I'd sort of like to do carry-on only. I'm flying Delta, KLM and KQ: SFO-ATL-AMS-NBO-KGL. And back again. Trip involves time in Rwanda gorilla trekking, maybe a walk in DRC if things are okay, some time in Tsavo, time in the Mara, time in Nairobi, and time in Amsterdam. Not to mention a lot of time in airports.
I'm not a photographer, so I will not have multiple lenses, etc., but I will of course have a not-very-compact super-zoom, batteries, charger, probably some other random stuff like that, binoculars, DEET and sunscreen, and other gear. Plus clothes. What is the minimum I can get away with taking? Am I forgetting anything? And is there anyone who has flown recently who could let me know the carry-on policies? (TigerPhotog?)
I will also be flying to/from the Mara in Kenya, if that makes a difference.
I appreciate any and all advice. I haven't been on safari in several years and seem to have forgotten all crucial information.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 footwear for primate tracking
- 2 Two Safari questions--one photography and one about gratuities
- 3 First Trip to Africa
- 4 Jordan - a very good trip, more or less
- 5 13 nights in Morocco-itinerary help please
- 6 Renting a cell phone in Johannesburg aiport
- 7 22 Days at 4 Camps in Southern Tanzania - Ruaha and Selous
- 8 Tanzania & Zanzibar Itinerary
- 9 African Safari Without Small Planes!
- 10 Morocco Trip Report
- 11 Planned Itinerary and Questions-Morocco, April 2016
- 12 Morocco in October 2015
- 13 Remembering Palmyra
- 14 Morocco - 11 nights - comments on itinerary
- 15 Safe to Travel to Morocco
- 16 Egypt - December 2008 - Trip Report
- 17 Short (7 days of less) four/five star level family safari
- 18 Naboisho Camp vs. Governor's Camp
- 19 Cote Divoire the heart of Africa
- 20 Dubai Desert Safari - Toddler Friendly?
- 21 Anyone have experience with Rothschild Safaris?
- 22 Umkumbe or Toro Yaka?
- 23 What a great idea!! Make a difference.
- 24 From Downtown Cairo to 10th ramdan city
- 25 Transit visa
The Few, the Proud, the Carry-on Only Safari-goers: How Did You Do It?