I did a search but couldn't pull up what I wanted. Please feel free to direct me to links about this. I love Lynda's packing list but I would never take that much stuff.
On my past two safaris, I carried on a small bag with a few essentials and checked a larger duffel. My traveling companion did the same, and between the two of us we managed to carry on the most important items. This time I will be going solo, so no cross-packing. I'd sort of like to do carry-on only. I'm flying Delta, KLM and KQ: SFO-ATL-AMS-NBO-KGL. And back again. Trip involves time in Rwanda gorilla trekking, maybe a walk in DRC if things are okay, some time in Tsavo, time in the Mara, time in Nairobi, and time in Amsterdam. Not to mention a lot of time in airports.
I'm not a photographer, so I will not have multiple lenses, etc., but I will of course have a not-very-compact super-zoom, batteries, charger, probably some other random stuff like that, binoculars, DEET and sunscreen, and other gear. Plus clothes. What is the minimum I can get away with taking? Am I forgetting anything? And is there anyone who has flown recently who could let me know the carry-on policies? (TigerPhotog?)
I will also be flying to/from the Mara in Kenya, if that makes a difference.
I appreciate any and all advice. I haven't been on safari in several years and seem to have forgotten all crucial information.
The Few, the Proud, the Carry-on Only Safari-goers: How Did You Do It?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Interested in joining me on Nov. 16-23 Liuwa Plain trip?
- 2 Saruni Samburu & Tortilis Amboseli - An amazing experience
- 3 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 4 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 5 Which Southern Africa Itinerary
- 6 Lake Ngami (Bots) - anybody been there lately?
- 7 Namibia road conditions
- 8 elderly travel to Zanzibar from USA
- 9 Kenya,Tanzania and Zanzibar Travel Tips
- 10 Botswana - Kwara or Victoria Falls/Chobe (after 9 nights around Kruger)
- 11 Questions about Chobe
- 12 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 13 Zambia, A Scenic Arrival
- 14 Most affordable airfare to get to the Western Sabi lodges
- 15 Advice and Suggestions for Southern Africa - April or June / July?
- 16 Sabi Sand Game Reserve Expert (Skukuza, South Africa)
- 17 Looking for child friendly self catering house in Cape Town in March 2015
- 18 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 19 Ebola and Morocco
- 20 Thompson Gazelle
- 21 Overland in West Africa
- 22 Domestic flight to HDS/MQP from JNB??
- 23 boutique hotel in tel aviv?
- 24 Morrocco and Cash
- 25 Don't go to Morrocco!